New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Christi

United Kingdom
4381 Posts

Posted - Nov 03 2009 :  07:04:57 AM  Show Profile  Visit Christi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Arzkiyahai,

quote:
What are your personal experiences with this technique? Is it keeping you grounded?

Breathing meditation is primarily a bliss technique. By repeatedly bringing the mind back to the breath, you are also repeatedly bringing the mind to silence. When the mind becomes firmly established in silence, the silence is experienced as peace. This is the real meaning of "peace of mind". Gradually, peace expands, and is experienced as bliss. Gradually bliss expands and is experienced as freedom (moksha, or liberation).

As mind comes repeatedly to silence, and begins to become established within that silence, a gentle pull is placed on the kundalini Shakti. In terms of Tantra, silence is Siva and as Siva expands as silence, Shakti is drawn to him. So Breathing Meditation can awaken kundalini and cause her to rise up through the body. In my own case, breathing meditation was the only spiritual practice I did before my kundalini awakened in 1990. After the awakening of kundalini comes the purification of the nadis, the opening of the heart, the rise of ecstatic bliss and the experience of divine love.

Personally I cannot confirm that Breathing Meditation can do all of this, as I added AYP practices around 5 years ago, and only experienced ecstatic bliss and divine love after that time, but in theory, there is no reason why Breathing Meditation as a stand alone practice could not take a Yogi all the way home.

Just to mention though, Breathing Meditation is a very gentle practice, which also means it is a very slow practice in terms of the spiritual evolution of a human being. Being gentle has it's advantages, as it can be practiced safely even by very sensitive meditators. Kundalini issues, if and when they do arise are often minor and usually do not effect the meditation practice. On the other hand, if you want to make real progress in Yoga, then an integration of practices is the way to go. Even within Theravadan Buddhism, very few practitioners would practice Breathing Meditation as a stand-alone practice. It is usually integrated with other practices to form a more rounded system of integrated practices, which work on the enlightenment process from many different angles.

In terms of grounding, Breathing Meditation is not a grounding practice so if you find that you are becoming ungrounded as a result of the practice then it is good to do grounding practices to stabilize yourself.

quote:
And what do you mean by spacious quality of mind?

Normally the mind is a bit like a room full of furniture. Often there is so much furniture it can even be a bit of a struggle getting into the room. Lots of furniture... not much space. By bringing the mind repeatedly back to the breath, and resting with our awareness on the breath we begin to notice the inherent silent quality of the mind. This silent quality is also experienced as a spacious quality. When the tangle of thoughts begins to unwind, the mind is experienced more and more in it's original, pristine, expansive nature. At first this spacious quality of mind is usually only experienced when the mind is silent. Gradually this spacious quality will be present whether thoughts are present or not. Freedom becomes the ground of our being and it is not affected by anything which arises, or passes away.

Christi
Go to Top of Page

arzkiyahai

93 Posts

Posted - Nov 03 2009 :  4:31:54 PM  Show Profile  Visit arzkiyahai's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the wonderful reply Christi.
Go to Top of Page

miguel

Spain
1197 Posts

Posted - Nov 03 2009 :  5:02:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Breathing meditation is an excellent practice.Sensitive meditators like me for example,find it very useful.
It cultivates very much inner silence also in a more smooth way.
I had to give up mantra mediation cz i couldnt do more than five mtes of dm.
The importance of this tool for sensitive people is absolutely relevant.
Now i do 13 mtes twice a day and it works really well.I feel im cultivating the same inner silence that with i am "mantra" and i feel much more confortable than using dm (dm is excellent powerful practice,but with sensitive people is another story....its TNT).
i practice some samyama sometimes also,and it works also.Inner silence is still there.
No problem.
You can go really deep using b.m.
It cultivates inner silence very well also,speacially (i think) in the case of sensitive people.I think non-sensitive meditators need more powerful tools like ayp dm for example.

Everyone is different.Its a matter of finding the right tool in the right moment.

Namaste.

Edited by - miguel on Nov 03 2009 5:07:01 PM
Go to Top of Page

arzkiyahai

93 Posts

Posted - Nov 03 2009 :  5:42:09 PM  Show Profile  Visit arzkiyahai's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks miguel for sharing your personal experiences and observations.

Edited by - arzkiyahai on Nov 03 2009 7:22:05 PM
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000