Discussions on AYP Deep Meditation and Samyama
 meditation at night
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

brother neil

USA
752 Posts

Posted - Sep 30 2009 :  9:46:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
yogani talks about meditating too close to bed because the releasing of karmas may disturb sleep. if I remember incorrectly please correct me. SO if that is the case.....
I have time in the late evening many times around ten, and usaully dont sleep until 12 would an hour of being awake after practicies suffice?

also, rock pose is not a suggested pose for meditation, is this because it is not a hip opener?
I realize it is my inner guru, however if I can learn from the pitfalls of others, might as well.
thanks
brother Neil

manig

India
88 Posts

Posted - Oct 01 2009 :  03:51:25 AM  Show Profile  Visit manig's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
meditation awakes your inner being, it opens your eyes (wide open)

if you do meditation near bed time, it would be hard to sleep (for a while). or you might sleep during meditation itself.

so you can try late evenings before dinner and see how it goes.

do any pose that is most comfortable to you.
Go to Top of Page

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - Oct 01 2009 :  07:43:50 AM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I think it varies from person to person. I meditate at 8.15-8.30 pm and go to bed by 10.00-10.30 pm and don't have any trouble falling asleep or staying asleep. There are a few days when there is high energy and I cannot sleep, but I personally don't think it is the late meditation that does it, 'cause there are days when I skip my second practice and still can't sleep when the energy is really high.

So you can try it and see how the late practice works for you brother Neil.

PS: Yes an hour sounds good.. getting up from meditation and immediately going to bed can result in feeling groggy/heavy headed in the morning.
Go to Top of Page

Richard

United Kingdom
857 Posts

Posted - Oct 01 2009 :  11:54:13 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
As Shanti says this is a totally personal thing.
I do believe that Meditation late at night can give a lot of people problems with sleep but in my case I can happily meditate sitting up in bed and then have a really good nights sleep, so its only by experimenting that you will find the answer to this question.
Go to Top of Page

Parallax

USA
348 Posts

Posted - Oct 01 2009 :  3:51:04 PM  Show Profile  Visit Parallax's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hey Brother!

For the past year, the only time I've been able to meditate for my 2nd session has been right before bed, starting at 9:30 or maybe 10:00; my experience has been that I'm able to fall asleep pretty quickly, but then usually wake up after about an hour, and usually have restless sleep with energy flows for the next 2hrs. Usually getting back into a deep sound sleep around 2am; and then I get woken up by the kids at between 5am-6am. While I am tired quite a bit, I have been able to continue to perform pretty well at work and been active with my young kids so it hasn't slowed me down too much.

Just this week, I tried switching my schedule around so I meditate in the morning starting at ~4:30am and then "sneak" in a session in the late afternoon instead of right before bed. I definitely like this approach better, although my sleep has still been a bit fitful from the energy flows.

Give it a try, it may not be perfect, but for me meditating before bed was better than not getting in my 2x/day sessions.

Let me know how it goes for you!
Go to Top of Page

brother neil

USA
752 Posts

Posted - Oct 01 2009 :  8:44:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
thanks for the support and insight
with love
brother Niel
Go to Top of Page

Akasha

421 Posts

Posted - Oct 01 2009 :  11:48:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
yogani talks about meditating too close to bed because the releasing of karmas may disturb sleep.

Hey Neil,

I try to avoid meditating last thing before bed-time because IME so far i may still be lying there a few hours later, not having dosed off(abit like avoiding food prior to scheduling an asana practice). Some times though it is possible especially if it is a sleepy DM session or cycle.I have done th is.But i this something i generally tend to avoid because there is no guarantee. Perhaps this will change longer-term,as Shanti suggests.But for the mooment it's ageneral no-no semi-rule,with the exception thati am completely bushed or i'm going through a sleepy phase.

The karma explanation makes alot of sense.

So yes i think 1 hour should probably do it.I sometimes do that.

quote:

also, rock pose is not a suggested pose for meditation, is this because it is not a hip opener?

Vajrasana, diamond/rock-pose i've seeen used by Buddhists- in Bon &/or Zen traditions, further east ,from India.Padmasana or Siddhasana would appear more stable,if your hips are open enough to get into them..

I still tend to use a seat so i've not yet become the 'finely tuned ferrari' Yogani has alluded to. ALL good things in their own time, i guess..Still tinkering with the whole system,here and there.It does become easier, and of course more enjoyable>once you begin to burn some of the obstructions down....i think in my system they were systemic(a mountain ),,,,just been 'playing' around with uddiyana lately past couple of days or so, as it seems to be helping clear away some constrictions between the Root-to-Brow path of SbP.

Peace & Love
ALL Around

_/\_

& Hats off to Yogani & Every other 'yogi in the trenches'.THANK YOU

with loving gratitude, Opening the Heart

Edited by - Akasha on Oct 02 2009 01:11:25 AM
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000