Swara Yoga and Helping Patanjali
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

YogaIsLife

641 Posts

Posted - May 16 2008 :  04:06:22 AM  Show Profile  Visit YogaIsLife's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi all,

My first post in the forum! I am happy

quote:
Other time is when you have done alternate nostril breathing. By doing alternate nostril breathing what you are doing is forcing both nostrils to operate, to go through sushumna - in preparation for meditation

I have recently started deep meditation but yesterday incorporated alternate nostril breathing for 10min before the meditation in the morning. I did this because I read about it and felt it would be good for me as I have some imbalance between left and right side. Not suprisingly I noticed that I usually have one nostril dominant (ie fully open) and another blocked (fully or partially). Still, when I did the alternate breathing, with ease and patience as not to force too much on the blocked side, nor let it flow too deep on the open side, it worked very well. Even if one nostril was more blocked I felt the calming and balancing effect of the practice and I believe I helped balance both a little.

Today I woke up with the other nostril blocked! It is fascinating this to me (I guess this is what Swara Yoga deals with). It was the same time I woke up both days (actually another effect I seem to be having off meditation: I wake up spontaneously very early, around 6am, and I feel fine; I'd say its the sun rise ). But today the blocked nostril was pretty blocked and I tried the alternate notril pranayama but it was unconfortable, the differences in currents between both notrils was too great.

My question is: is it worth trying doing the alternate nostril pranayama even in cases of big flow differences between the nostrils? I guess it takes a bit more patience but will this be beneficial or better not do it in this circumstances? I ask because I feel a bit sad not being able to do it because it had a very pleasant effect when I did it before. I even tried in the past inhaling eucapyptus vapours to clean up the sinuses to help with clearing!

Thank you and it's great to be here! I love what Yogani did in AYP. Keep up the good work!
Go to Top of Page

Scott

USA
969 Posts

Posted - May 16 2008 :  08:28:18 AM  Show Profile  Visit Scott's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
You can use a neti pot to help if it's too much "snot" built up which is blocking the nostril. Or you can use a danda and place it under your armpit of the open nostril. Or you can lay on your open side. Also, putting your palm against your face on the open side helps.

In my experience swara yoga wasn't effective and could be somewhat damaging, but it's good to have both nostrils clear if you're practicing alternate nostril pranayama. But in my opinion, a more effective thing would be to practice at the time of day when both of your nostrils are naturally open.

Go to Top of Page

YogaIsLife

641 Posts

Posted - May 17 2008 :  06:40:27 AM  Show Profile  Visit YogaIsLife's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Scott, for your reply.

I have been trying jala neti (the sniffing salty water up my nostrils variety) and it seems to be working. I have usually very loaded sinuses so I will try this twice daily for some days to see the long term effects.

It is funny that in my country we have a similar thing: people use to say that if you go to the beach get some sea water in your hands and sniff it or inhale it a little. It is good for clearing your nose and sinus they say :)
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000