Building a Daily Practice with Self-Pacing
 Cool Meditation Timer
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

rwsluder

USA
4 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2009 :  2:10:18 PM  Show Profile  Visit rwsluder's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
I have been doing AYP for a little over a year now and have been somewhat successful developing my "inner clock". There are times when I am right on the money when I get the feeling that time is up for a particular practise, but other times I find myself checking the clock 3 or 4 times before the time is really up. I just purchased a cool meditation timer called the Salubrion Enso Clock. I thought I would recommend it here for those who are inclined to use a timer. One of the tone options is a singing bowl sound that is amazingly realistic! It makes me feel like I am meditating in a monastery high in the Himalayas! I purchased mine from Amazon (http://www.amazon.com/Salubrion-Ens...78001&sr=1-1), but it is available other places also. It is quite pricey, but is very nice if you can afford it.

Edited by - rwsluder on Aug 21 2009 2:13:02 PM

CarsonZi

Canada
3189 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2009 :  2:56:15 PM  Show Profile  Visit CarsonZi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Namaste rwsluder and welcome to the AYP forums!

This is the timer that is used at the Buddhist principles class I attend. I quite enjoy the alarm sound (the singing bowl one). Thanks for sharing!

Love,
Carson
Go to Top of Page

Sparkle

Ireland
1457 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2009 :  3:33:34 PM  Show Profile  Visit Sparkle's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Welcome to the forum rwsluder

What we use in our AYP meditation group is an MP3 recording of a meditation gong on a mobile phone.
One of our more techy group devised this to gong at 10 mins and then 20 more mins. The sound is really good and means one doesn't have to worry about keeping time for the group.

As an extra he very kindly recorded this also on CDs, so when I meditate in the car I would use this.

Thanks for the suggestion, sounds good, but, as you say a bit pricey for me
Go to Top of Page

machart

USA
342 Posts

Posted - Aug 23 2009 :  11:15:45 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Welcome to AYP rwsluder!

I like the sound of gongs too for starting and ending my sitting sessions.

If you are financially challenged like me you can make your own meditation timer with your PC using sound recorder (found in all programs/accessories/Entertainment) and your favorite gong wav file.

Just record 1 min of silence in sound recorder then concatenate as many as you want (10 or 20 min) then add your favorite gong wav_file at the beginning and end as desired and save. You can then copy to a CD or mp3 player for portability.

This web site http://www.freesound.org/index.php has some really nice free gong sounds...my favorites are:

bowl_struck.wav and zenbell_1.mp3
Go to Top of Page

Etherfish

USA
3615 Posts

Posted - Aug 23 2009 :  11:36:24 AM  Show Profile  Visit Etherfish's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
OMG that's a lot of money. I don't like buying things that take batteries - too many already.
But if you have to buy this, at least go to Ebay where they are donating all the money to a prison dharma service. Search under "meditation timer".
I like the idea of using my cell phone. Maybe I'll look into how to get the gong on that. I already use it with a built in alarm.
It's funny I don't like batteries - I'm an electrician, but I pinch pennies and save resources.

I find using a timer is very good for my morning meditation. I do it before work, and if I don't use a timer I will go too deep and be late. So I kept glancing at the clock and they were not very good sessions until I started using the alarm.

Edited by - Etherfish on Aug 23 2009 11:39:44 AM
Go to Top of Page

machart

USA
342 Posts

Posted - Aug 23 2009 :  8:10:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
If you have an iphone or an ipod touch there are nice meditation timer aps for $.99...even I can afford that...and I'm extremely frugal!
Go to Top of Page

Etherfish

USA
3615 Posts

Posted - Aug 23 2009 :  9:37:41 PM  Show Profile  Visit Etherfish's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, 99 cents is much better than 99 dollars. I don't have an iphone but I have timers, just not cool alarms. No big deal though.
Go to Top of Page

rwsluder

USA
4 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2009 :  11:23:06 AM  Show Profile  Visit rwsluder's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Frugality is relative, I guess. I myself do not own an iphone or an ipod, so I have already probably saved more than enough to pay for the enso clock. My rationale for the clock was mostly for flexibility. It is quick and easy to edit the times for the various intervals, and you can store up to three multi-interval timers for recall. As I increase times, add practices, or have limited time for a session, I will be able to adjust as needed within my meditation environment without have to go to the computer. I certainly would not want my cell phone anywhere near where I was meditating with any sounds enabled, someone might call and interrupt! As for where to buy or who gets the money, if you check Salubrion's web site you will see that the company was founded by and is owned by a retired long-time meditator and his grandson. I bought one of their meditation seats several years ago and was very pleased with it. I have no problem with my money helping to support their livelihoods. As far as Amazon goes, that is where I bought all of my AYP books, so I suppose if it is good enough for that, it is good enough for the clock. Actually, Amazon is just acting as the fulfillment party for Salubrion. I was just trying to share information for those who might be interested. I certainly am not trying to talk anyone into buying the clock.
Go to Top of Page

Richard

United Kingdom
857 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2009 :  12:11:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
There is a free timer available that I believe a few people on this forum have used in the past its quite good as its possible to ad your own sound.

It can be found here http://www.timeleft.info/
Go to Top of Page

DuendeVision

Guatemala
1 Posts

Posted - Jan 25 2010 :  12:29:13 PM  Show Profile  Visit DuendeVision's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi. I was looking for a timer MP3 style and decided I'd make my own after seeing what was out there.
I created 3 files for a 30, 45 minute and 1 hour meditation.

I used a 6 inch brass bowl struck with a soft wood striker. There is a 10 second pause before the first strike. 4 minutes before the time is up I strike it twice and at the end there are three strikes. I do Vipassana style meditation so the 4 minute gap between the 2 strikes and the 3 strikes at the end is for Meta.

I also included just the strike alone.

They can be retrieved at:

30 min
www.savelakeatitlan.org/Medi...030%20min.mp3

45 min
www.savelakeatitlan.org/Medi...045%20min.mp3

1 hour
www.savelakeatitlan.org/Medi...01%20Hour.mp3

bowl strike
www.savelakeatitlan.org/Medi...00%20mono.mp3

Paz
Duende

Edited by - DuendeVision on Jan 25 2010 12:33:06 PM
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000