Satsang Cafe - General Discussions on AYP
 What are we holding on to?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

sudo command

USA
11 Posts

Posted - Aug 17 2009 :  2:41:50 PM  Show Profile  Visit sudo command's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
After stumbling upon the philosophy of meditation only about a month and a half ago ive really gained a new insight on life. Ive been grateful to have gained a new glimpse on the true nature of things. After realising every thought we have is really a perception that rest upon a foundation of an artificial man made society the question is what are we holding on to? Why do we hurt ourselves and our happiness to protect our pride and egos. why do we struggle to attain excess money to yield happiness when that emotion can be directly activated. I myself still subconsciously cling to subtle thoughts as do most of us, on this new journey to fully let go of them. the question is What are we holding on to and why? This reflection will aid us greatly to let them go.

Kirtanman

USA
1651 Posts

Posted - Aug 17 2009 :  7:06:20 PM  Show Profile  Visit Kirtanman's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by sudo command

the question is What are we holding on to and why? This reflection will aid us greatly to let them go.

Hi Sudo Command,

Welcome to the AYP Forum!

Great post; great question.

There's a great scene in a Star Trek movie from the 90s; "Generations", I think it's called.

Captain Picard is talking to a woman from a society of near-immortals (she's 300-something, but doesn't look a day over 35 ) ... if I recall, the movie's plot correctly.

It had been several centuries that this planet had been out of contact ... and they expected to find a bunch of corpses ... but, instead, found a group of young and healthy people; and (per standard movie romance-related plotting) Captain Picard and this woman don't have much time together ... so she (what else ya gonna do ...) slows down time (to make this point, the movie shows a hummingbird beating its little wings sl-oo-oo-ww-ly).

Picard, understandably, is amazed, and asks her:

"It took you three hundred years to learn how to control time?"

She responds:

"Not at all; you don't understand; it took us three hundred years to learn that it doesn't have to take three hundred years."

"Like That."

The apparent time that a journey on the "pathless path" we awaken to, via meditation and similar disciplines, appears to "take" ... differs ("short path" or "long path" or "no path") in experience, based on one factor alone:

Amount of belief put in the artificial concepts held in mind.

There are people who've been meditating for decades (at least), who don't even know to ask the question you're posing.

This question is not only key ... it could be said to be *the* key.

"What are we holding onto, and why?"

To that all I might add, is:

"And who is holding on?"

The limited thought-me, holding on to limiting concepts for its limited reasons, is the source of the holding on.

This awareness, prior to thought, cannot even conceive of holding on (or anything else, actually.)

As well-known reality-teacher Adyashanti said, when asked what he believes:

"I don't."

It all boils down to dropping thoughts of unfulfillment.

Life is actually quite awesome, beautiful and joyous; a celebration, if we let it be.

Meditation can help us know ourselves as the original awareness that can know this (which is just a fancy way of saying: "awareness, as a human being, uncluttered by artificial concepts"), in the experiencing of each moment.

Heart Is Where The AUM Is,

Kirtanman

Edited by - Kirtanman on Aug 17 2009 7:07:48 PM
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.03 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000