New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Parallax

USA
348 Posts

Posted - Apr 26 2009 :  8:15:39 PM  Show Profile  Visit Parallax's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Kirtanman,

The dialog is extremely valuable...a veritable treasure trove of insights...and appreciated immensely
Go to Top of Page

alwayson

Canada
288 Posts

Posted - Apr 26 2009 :  9:00:03 PM  Show Profile  Visit alwayson's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Kirtanman,

you suggest there are enlightened beings in every tradition. And you name names.

There is no evidence these people are enlightened at ALL.

Enlightenment for me is someone diplaying the rainbow body (ja lus).

Edited by - alwayson on Apr 26 2009 9:02:46 PM
Go to Top of Page

CarsonZi

Canada
3189 Posts

Posted - Apr 26 2009 :  9:04:05 PM  Show Profile  Visit CarsonZi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by alwayson

Enlightenment for me is.......

Enlightenment for you does not constitute what enlightenment actually is. What enlightenment is, is unexplainable.

Love,
Carson
Go to Top of Page

alwayson

Canada
288 Posts

Posted - Apr 26 2009 :  9:06:16 PM  Show Profile  Visit alwayson's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Believe what you want. I don't even use the term enlightenment. I use bodhi or awakening.

Edited by - alwayson on Apr 26 2009 9:28:48 PM
Go to Top of Page

CarsonZi

Canada
3189 Posts

Posted - Apr 26 2009 :  9:31:29 PM  Show Profile  Visit CarsonZi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:

Enlightenment for me is someone diplaying the rainbow body (ja lus).

quote:

I don't even use the term enlightenment. I use bodhi or awakening.

I don't believe anything about enlightenment other then that it is not possible to accurately define it. And you DID use the term enlightenment so I don't get why you are outright denying what you wrote above.
Go to Top of Page

Kirtanman

USA
1651 Posts

Posted - Apr 26 2009 :  9:37:10 PM  Show Profile  Visit Kirtanman's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply

Thanks, Parallax!

And I agree ... I'm truly appreciating everyone's comments and the dialog; all I did was kick it off .... that's the easy part!

And, as such things do, it's taking on a life of its own, in some very cool ways.

Originally, I just intended to post links to the Sophian Gnosticism site, under the header "Yogic Christianity" ... per the fact that many people, understandably, see yoga and Christianity as effectively being *opposites*.

Now ... we're all kind've evolving this discussion together, into a cool clarification concerning what gnosis, Christianity, enlightenment and religious symbolism are all about ... and how they can dovetail into being part of the support structure to overall yogic practices and awakening.

"Awesome"!

And let us continue .....

Kirtanman

PS- And thanks again for the kind words; your appreciation is sincerely appreciated!

Go to Top of Page

alwayson

Canada
288 Posts

Posted - Apr 26 2009 :  10:02:12 PM  Show Profile  Visit alwayson's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
it is all about escaping physical death and spirtual death.
Go to Top of Page

machart

USA
342 Posts

Posted - Apr 26 2009 :  10:29:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I don't know much about who is enlightened or awakened or displays rainbow body, but I do cherish the mystery and wonder that I experience when any being exudes pure love through the written word, act or deed like Christ and others have done...some on this forum.

Separating the wheat from the chaff in all religions and traditions is always dependent on the individuals ability to discriminate effectively for themselves.

Edited by - machart on Apr 26 2009 10:57:44 PM
Go to Top of Page

Kirtanman

USA
1651 Posts

Posted - Apr 26 2009 :  10:46:18 PM  Show Profile  Visit Kirtanman's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by CarsonZi

Thanks for the great post Kirtanman. I have known all this in my heart since forever, but it is wonderful to read it so point blank and in such a concise way. Much love to you my friend. I am very happy you have decided to "rejoin" the posting community here.

Love,
Carson

Hey - Thanks, Brother Carson!

Much Love to You, as Well!

And yeah ... some of us kinda have a sense of it, for most of our lives .... Christianity, and religion in general just *can't* actually be about all that unkindness, and attempted control, and needing other people as intermediaries, and sex being bad (who came up with *that* one?? -- that's *way* beyond crazy!), women being less than utterly awesome (ditto!), and thinking that God cares what gay people do (She doesn't! ) - and what-not.

But ... watching the news ... talking to "conditioned Christians" ... it sure seems like it *is* about all of the "above".

Refreshing to realize that it *is* (Christianity, religion, yoga) all harmonious, about awakening, about loving, about feeling good, having fun .... and realizing that this whole human gig is truly downright wonderful, once we get through, or mostly through ... the de-wackification of idea-based conditioning.

And no, per this thread, not everyone accepts this ..... but everyone who releases idea-based conditioning *can* come to know it for themselves ... to know the truth; to be set free.

And *that*, in my experience, is literally too awesome for words (so good thing we don't need words, to "be the knowing"!)

Another *excellent* Christian Gnostic kundalini article

"Realization .... it's not just for Hindus & Buddhists & Taoists & Whoever Else, Anymore ....!"

Peace, Joy & Other Fun Stuff,

Kirtanman
Go to Top of Page

alwayson

Canada
288 Posts

Posted - Apr 27 2009 :  12:11:49 AM  Show Profile  Visit alwayson's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by machart

I don't know much about who is enlightened or awakened or displays rainbow body, but I do cherish the mystery and wonder that I experience when any being exudes pure love through the written word, act or deed like Christ and others have done...some on this forum.

Separating the wheat from the chaff in all religions and traditions is always dependent on the individuals ability to discriminate effectively for themselves.

Instead of separating wheat from the shaft, the whole field MUST be burnt down and built anew from personal experience.

The belief system sits in the deepest part of the subconscious and is the only thing that blocks you from a semi-independent deity that sits inside you.

Edited by - alwayson on Apr 27 2009 03:11:28 AM
Go to Top of Page

CarsonZi

Canada
3189 Posts

Posted - Apr 27 2009 :  11:02:47 AM  Show Profile  Visit CarsonZi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Kirtanman

some of us kinda have a sense of it, for most of our lives .... Christianity, and religion in general just *can't* actually be about all that unkindness, and attempted control, and needing other people as intermediaries, and sex being bad (who came up with *that* one?? -- that's *way* beyond crazy!), women being less than utterly awesome (ditto!), and thinking that God cares what gay people do (She doesn't! ) - and what-not.

I agree wholeheartedly Kirtanman.... I know 100% for sure that my parents for example, who are fundamentalist born again Christians, would disagree wholeheartedly, but personally I find them so attached to their ideas of what Is, that they can't see the forest for the trees if you know what I mean.

quote:

But ... watching the news ... talking to "conditioned Christians" ... it sure seems like it *is* about all of the "above".

Yeah this is fresh in my mind actually. I spent yesterday morning watching after my two young nephews for my sister and her husband while they practiced and performed in the "worship band" at a Christian church. (I was watching the kids at the church) I listened to all the prayer and the sermon and it was hard for me to hold my tongue. I wanted to get up and start screaming that God is INTERNAL and not EXTERNAL and that their whole lives are based on lies, but I managed to control myself. At one point I had to take the kids and leave cause it was making me want to cry. All these people with desire for liberation but they are lost and think they have been found. And all the fake "connection" drives me crazy....people pretending to speak in tongues, people raising their hands and falling over in faux ecstacy....it's like right outta the movies "Gambling, Gods and LSD" or "Jesus Camp". (Watching the 30 year old preacher pretend to speak in tongues but watching his eyes, which he pretended were shut, looking around to see who was watching him, made me feel like vomitting) It makes me sad and wish there was something I could do. Expecially since my whole family, (not just immediate but my whole extended family) has fallen into this belief trap.

quote:

Refreshing to realize that it *is* (Christianity, religion, yoga) all harmonious, about awakening, about loving, about feeling good, having fun .... and realizing that this whole human gig is truly downright wonderful, once we get through, or mostly through ... the de-wackification of idea-based conditioning.

Yes, this was a wonderful, yet torturous realization, at least for me. Growing up in a Christian household, but not buying into the whole "Jesus is the one and only Son of God" thing, really made my early life difficult and stressful when I started to talk about how there was no difference between the religions. That was complete heresy to my family. Then they buckled down extra hard to "re-convert" me, and this only created serious strife and division. Then they start in with the "tough love" thing in order to try to change me, and that's when I had to leave home. I wish there was an easier way to discuss things like this with people who are set in their beliefs but are family and are not therefor able to leave the topic alone. Everytime this comes up there is a war because they cannot accept MY belief systems. And cause I want them to be free as well...I know, I know....fighting with reality....gotta stop.

quote:

Another *excellent* Christian Gnostic kundalini article

Thank you for this Kman! I wish I could get certian people to read stuff like this.....but unfortunately anything I present my family with to read gets shelved before they even look at the title. Such a shame.

quote:

"Realization .... it's not just for Hindus & Buddhists & Taoists & Whoever Else, Anymore ....!"

Thanks Kirtanman....

Love,
Carson
Go to Top of Page

alwayson

Canada
288 Posts

Posted - Apr 27 2009 :  11:54:01 AM  Show Profile  Visit alwayson's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I should claim enlightenment and a long line of teachers and start teaching too lol.

I am Indian, so I can create an excellent mush of eastern and western crap lol

Edited by - alwayson on Apr 27 2009 12:04:47 PM
Go to Top of Page

CarsonZi

Canada
3189 Posts

Posted - Apr 27 2009 :  11:56:33 AM  Show Profile  Visit CarsonZi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
What exactly in that article do you disagree with Alwayson?

Love,
Carson
Go to Top of Page

alwayson

Canada
288 Posts

Posted - Apr 27 2009 :  2:30:34 PM  Show Profile  Visit alwayson's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I should throw in some New Age stuff as well in my new religion that I am creating lolll. The funny thing with New Age is that, all the material comes from spirit channeling. But, Robert Bruce and some others have noticed that the only spirits that communicate with people frequently are lower level tricksters that live on lies. This also implies all the ancient gods are inferior pieces of ****.

Edited by - alwayson on Apr 27 2009 2:38:20 PM
Go to Top of Page

Kirtanman

USA
1651 Posts

Posted - Apr 28 2009 :  10:33:21 PM  Show Profile  Visit Kirtanman's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply

Hi All,

Here's a cool/informative thread on Christian Gnosticism and Vajrayana Buddhism from the Sophian Fellowship Forum.

Below are some excerpts from one of the posts in the thread, by Tau Malachi:

Excerpt 1:

"In both the east and the west all too often teachings are heard with dualistic ears, and all too often they are oversimplified as to what they mean, the true subtle and sublime implications being completely lost – this is certainly true with many interpretations of Dzogchen that arise, which are teachings that directly parallel with what we call the “Melchizedek transmission” in our tradition. Essentially they are interpretations apart from the recognition and realization of the non-dual truth, the actual experience of awakening to which the teachings point, and at times such interpretations may even be put forth by teachers, who although trained in the doctrines and practices, may not as yet have experienced the awakening, the non-dual realization, supernal, supramental.

Something is added or nothing is added – this is dualistic; but then, mental being is inherently dualistic, and the language of mental being is necessarily dualistic, so in the midst of indicating the subtle and sublime truth of the non-dual mental concepts and words become cumbersome, always a partial truth at best, and, as a partial truth, they come with the shadow of partial falsehood. Within and behind the words there must be an energetic transmission, an experiential dimension; hence the role and play of initiations or empowerments, the essence of which is a mind-to-mind and heart-to-heart transmission, one transcending our thought and thinking, and our words."

Excerpt 2:

"In the mental consciousness, of course, this is rather enigmatic and perplexing, but it is the perception of reality beheld in the supernal or supramental consciousness, which we call Messianic Consciousness."

Excerpt 3:

"In terms of life and light, the prologue to the Gospel of St. John proves very interesting; in it we read:

“In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. He was in the beginning with God. All things came into being through him, and without him not one thing came into being. What was in him was life, and the life was the light of all people. The light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not overcome it” (1:1-5).

The words, “in the beginning,” of course, tie this with the very first verses of Genesis – Beresh*t, literally “in the beginning.” On the first day of creation Elohim says, “Light there be light.”

Now on one hand, we may say that light is the energy of life, that light becomes life, but on the other hand, as in the Gospel of St. John we may say the life is light; it would appear that whatever “life” is, it is light, and whatever “light” is, it is life, two terms for one and the same force.

In a manner of speaking, in effect, until we receive the influx of the light from above, and activate the light or fiery intelligence that is in us, and reintegrate ourselves with the light, actualizing and realizing the light in full, we are not alive; our conception in the Divine Life is the influx of light, and our gestation is the activation and actualization of the light that is in us, and our birth and maturation is our reintegration with the Light Continuum, this Light-presence and Light-power actualized and realized, embodied.

This light is “eternal life,” bornless being, which is to say “life abundant,” without beginning or end – true life.

Thus, calling God the True Light, we may also call God the True Life.

Of course, whether lucid or not in the dream, all that appears is this same light, this same life, this same consciousness-force that emanates from being – it is just a question of generating the awareness, the intelligence, for recognition and realization.

Now here we may say that awakening we will be inclined to this play for the joy of it, for the beauty of it, for there is great joy and great beauty in this natural and spontaneous arising, this natural and spontaneous self-generation; the nature of this joy and beauty is unconditional love, boundless compassion, and in entertaining the play is the awakening of souls, the awakening of beings – it is creative and evolutionary, and tends towards liberation. "

Oh Yes -- it does!

Offered in the Intent of Awakening for All,

Kirtanman

Go to Top of Page

CarsonZi

Canada
3189 Posts

Posted - Apr 29 2009 :  12:03:44 AM  Show Profile  Visit CarsonZi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply

quote:

"the nature of this joy and beauty is unconditional love, boundless compassion, and in entertaining the play is the awakening of souls, the awakening of beings – it is creative and evolutionary, and tends towards liberation."

Wow...awesome... Thanks again Kirtanman!!!

Love,
Carson
Go to Top of Page

Jo-self

USA
225 Posts

Posted - May 07 2009 :  12:07:51 PM  Show Profile  Visit Jo-self's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I'm with alwaysOn on this one, at leas the intent if not the details. :)

Could it be people are projecting their current grasp and/or experiences with eastern mysticism into ancient religious backwaters?

Last week while perusing the new books section at the library I saw The Gnostics: history, tradition, scriptures, influence by Andrew Phillip Smith. I read it. I was not impressed. What chaos and non-info that tradition left behind. So of course, anyone can create there own tradition and history on top of it.

Of course, thats just one book and I don't know the full story, but I'll go with my inner guru on this one, He has a good BS detector.

-- jo-self

Edited by - Jo-self on May 07 2009 12:10:55 PM
Go to Top of Page

Kirtanman

USA
1651 Posts

Posted - May 07 2009 :  11:37:24 PM  Show Profile  Visit Kirtanman's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Jo-self

I'm with alwaysOn on this one, at leas the intent if not the details. :)

Could it be people are projecting their current grasp and/or experiences with eastern mysticism into ancient religious backwaters?

Sure they could -- and maybe some are ... and healthy skepticism, inner-guru authority, and fact-providing Googling are *always* encouraged.

All I can tell you is: I'm not making this stuff up, nor am I posting about it in the way I am, lightly.

Yes, every religion has its fundamentalists; yes, the mainstream members of nearly any religion will tell you that I'm full of ..... non-accuracy ... , and talking out of my ... assertions.

A lot of the time I've been not-posting (last yearish to twoish) ... I've been *immersed* in this information -- and the conclusions are A. Staggering, and B. Far from being solely my own.

As emc pointed out in another thread (Rainbow Body) -- academic discussions can circle forever -- and I have no interest in being "right", here - I just truly feel that this information might be valuable on several levels, a couple-few of them being:

1. If anyone reading this thread is from a specific religious background, they may find that there's a wealth of information, utilizing the symbol-sets of their own religion, viewed in a yogic way -- which can support their practices. Many of us turned away from our religions of birth or culture, feeling as though they were closed, myopic and had nothing to offer -- when in reality, each major religion has a healthy, yogic tradition - it's "mystical branch", if you will - that may hold useful teachings and symbols, in terms of one's realization.

2. The fact, and it does appear to be fact, per numerous authoritative books, academic papers, a plethora of online research, of the utter compatibility-harmony-identity of some *extremely* esoteric teachings in "different" religions -- may be interesting/inspiring/yogic-path affirming.

Example: the deep geometric symbolism of the dual triangle/six-pointed star, including its associations with fire and water, male and female, bindu (point of consciousness), sefirot (Kabbalah) & chakra (Yoga/Tantra) systems, levels of consciousness as realization unfolds, and the symbolism of centricity of heart -- are *identical* in both the Kabbalah [Jewish Mysticism] & Kashmir Shaivism [Tantric Mysticism].

So are the yogic benefits and mystical symbolism of the tongue-positions utilized in the pronunciation of the respective languages (Hebrew, Sanskrit) as outlined in the Sefer Yetzirah (esoteric Kabbalah text) and the Paratrisikavivarana (Kashmir Shaivite text) -- with an overlap between sound of letter and tongue-position of roughly 90%, and a spiritual symbolism overlap of close to 100%.

And there's a LOT more detail where those two items came from.

If you have the patience for a lot of a mind-blowing geometry, check out:

The Secret Doctrine of the Kabbalah - Rediscovering the Key to Hebraic Sacred Science by Leonora Leet.

quote:

Last week while perusing the new books section at the library I saw The Gnostics: history, tradition, scriptures, influence by Andrew Phillip Smith. I read it. I was not impressed. What chaos and non-info that tradition left behind. So of course, anyone can create there own tradition and history on top of it.

Of course, thats just one book and I don't know the full story, but I'll go with my inner guru on this one, He has a good BS detector.

Gotcha; I used to feel *exactly* the same way about gnosticism. I don't know that book or author ... but I'm pretty sure I know the "tone" (gnostics were inconsistent and/or heretical, hated the body and/or physical existence, had some bizarre teachings about demiurges and archons and whatnots ... sound about right?

It would be *very* easy to misunderstand (and misreport) the symbolism used by gnostics, if A. one had an agenda to discredit them, or B. one's only frame of reference was non-yogic consciousness.

The fact that the symbolism utilized by Gnostics, Tantrics and Kabbalists (Oh My! ) syncs up with the reports of realized yogis and yoginis from around the world, as well as with everything taught here at AYP ... tells me (especially per the "added syncing" with my own experience/inner guru) .. that there's some useful info in these teachings.

And *that's* the bottom line:

Understanding the yogic symbolism in these systems simply expands the knowledge-base of yogic teachings, for *use* by *us* (whoever wants to use them, research them, etc.). If you don't believe what I'm saying, don't want to believe it, etc. -- no worries whatsoever -- I'm just putting some exotic hors doerves (or however the heck you spell that word! "Appetizers"! ) .. out on the buffet table. No one says you have to like them, or agree that they're good for you .... all I'm saying is: some people, including myself, are finding the ... willingness to try new ... appetizers ... helpful and enjoyable.

By all means ... if they don't appeal, pass 'em on by.

(The supply is endless, and fresh stuff is always being put out ... and one way or the other -- you, me, everyone, figures out that he or she is the host-chef, anyway!)

Enjoying the Joy in the Heart of It All,

Kirtanman

Go to Top of Page

Kirtanman

USA
1651 Posts

Posted - May 07 2009 :  11:39:02 PM  Show Profile  Visit Kirtanman's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
All,

If interested, check out:

The Gnostic Library
site.

It's got translations of many of the gnostic texts I've been referencing in this thread -- if you're interested, you can see for yourself if there's any info there that you feel might be useful, or if some of the material is interesting in comparison to other sacred writings (i.e. the Christian Bible) you may be more familiar with, and so on.

Edited by - Kirtanman on May 08 2009 11:15:34 AM
Go to Top of Page

cosmic_troll

USA
229 Posts

Posted - May 08 2009 :  5:11:22 PM  Show Profile  Visit cosmic_troll's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Sri Dude, excellent posts! I appreciate what you're doing here. My hope is that the mainstream Abrahamic religions will rediscover their mystical roots.

In The Jesus Mysteries, the authors suggest that the Gnostics viewed Jesus as something of a mystical action hero. They claim the Gnostics didn't believe in a literal Jesus Christ, but freely created myths and gospels about him that contained valid spiritual teachings. There is also evidence to suggest that the ancient Greeks and Romans took this approach with their gods/goddesses and myths (Venus, Zeus, Hades, etc.). They are claimed to have viewed their gods as mystical archetypes, rather than actual beings demanding worship.

I think if people of every religion took this view, reading gospel like spiritual fiction, there would be more understanding and less sectarian conflict. One could read OPG (Other People's Gospels) without a heightened alert level, and take whatever value they find. It would reduce religious conflicts to the level of Heinlein vs. Asimov (or Star Wars vs. Star Trek) disagreements. People would still argue, but who wants to get killed over Star Trek? Well, nevermind

Just rambling, don't mean to get too off-topic.

Peace
cosmic
Go to Top of Page

Kirtanman

USA
1651 Posts

Posted - May 08 2009 :  10:08:46 PM  Show Profile  Visit Kirtanman's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by cosmic_troll

Sri Dude, excellent posts! I appreciate what you're doing here. My hope is that the mainstream Abrahamic religions will rediscover their mystical roots.

Yo, Sri Dude - S'up?

And .. waycool sentiment expressed above --- may it be so. _/\_

However, that may be a bit to ask of a single AYP thread .... but hey, ya never know .... and, I've got some teammates now .... (per your "fine comments" below, and the awesome comments of everyone else participating in this thread ....!)

... and ... we're certainly not "in" this alone, by any stretch ...... the rising tide of global consciousness. combined with the staggeringly rapid dissemination of information of every kind, via the global internet ... along with the "good works" of every consciousness-focused group and person from all traditions (example: AYP) ...... the darkness of history and ego doesn't stand much of a chance!

However, there *is* a lot of darkness, misunderstanding and suffering out there ... and awareness itself (i.e. what we get more of, via practices) is the fire .... and communication is the fuel .....

quote:

In The Jesus Mysteries, the authors suggest that the Gnostics viewed Jesus as something of a mystical action hero. They claim the Gnostics didn't believe in a literal Jesus Christ, but freely created myths and gospels about him that contained valid spiritual teachings. There is also evidence to suggest that the ancient Greeks and Romans took this approach with their gods/goddesses and myths (Venus, Zeus, Hades, etc.). They are claimed to have viewed their gods as mystical archetypes, rather than actual beings demanding worship.

I think if people of every religion took this view, reading gospel like spiritual fiction, there would be more understanding and less sectarian conflict. One could read OPG (Other People's Gospels) without a heightened alert level, and take whatever value they find. It would reduce religious conflicts to the level of Heinlein vs. Asimov (or Star Wars vs. Star Trek) disagreements. People would still argue, but who wants to get killed over Star Trek? Well, nevermind

Just rambling, don't mean to get too off-topic.

Peace
cosmic

Actually, this is about as on-topic as it gets.

Millions have died.

Millions more have suffered a fate much more horrible than apparent death (though fortunately every bit as temporary) - in religious insanity ranging from the Spanish Inquisition, to the eviction of Jews from Spain, to the Crusades, to the literal Witch Hunts, to horrible abuses of women in the name of "God" that continue to this day.

So, on the one hand, we're discussing and interesting topic.

On the other hand, we're one of the sets of sparks igniting the awakening of consciousness -- and this awakening affects everyone and everything - and has a very real, very direct effect on the lives of very real people.

Religious mythology is indeed spiritual fiction; perfect term for it, actually. Mythology is powerful, and speaks to archetypal consciousness in ways that can facilitate realization.

However .... fighting a war over Elohim/Jesus or YHVH/Moses vs. Allah/Mohammed is *Literally* like fighting a war over Kirk vs. Picard - because they were (will be?) historical people who wanted us to be willing to die for them -- and not characters in stories that may or may not teach helpful things.

Now, granted, the characters of myth likely do facilitate the realization of deeper things (though Star Trek does go pretty freakin' deep @ points! "Wars", too, come to think of it ..... "There is no try, there is only do" ~Yoda) than even better than average sci-fi ... but the historical existence of many of the characters and/or the stories in spiritual mythology was original intended to be clearly understood *as* mythology.

And yes, I do understand that many people perceive Jesus and/or the Buddha (and/or Krishna and others) as historical persons. I'm not arguing that point. They may have been -- there's really not a lot of historical evidence that they were, nor, seemingly, can there be -- and so, that point needs to be taken as a matter of faith, if one is so inclined.

I would simply ask (anyone who believes this) what the direct *value* of believing - constricting your mind around the idea - that these people were historical. I suppose if someone "just believes" - that's just the way it is - but in that case - maybe open your mind to other possibilities, and/or "hang on loosely."

It's hanging on tightly that causes all the trouble.

Intending the Joy of Reality for All,

Kirtanman
Go to Top of Page

divinefurball

USA
138 Posts

Posted - May 08 2009 :  10:32:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Kirtanman, and Cosmic Troll, for those last posts, they are a help to me. I really liked the thought-tone-sentiments of both your remarks. What a grace it is that that yogani and others make this opportunity for conversation possible, divinefurball
Go to Top of Page

cosmic_troll

USA
229 Posts

Posted - May 09 2009 :  02:37:56 AM  Show Profile  Visit cosmic_troll's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:

Mythology is powerful, and speaks to archetypal consciousness in ways that can facilitate realization.

Yes, you said it much better than I. I think this is one reason some sci-fi stories stand out above the rest (Star Wars, The Matrix, etc.). Star Wars is a classic Campbell-ian "Hero's Journey". And The Matrix just resonates with me in so many ways. I guess it could be said of stories in any genre.

BTW Kirk would totally kick Picard's az. Wanna fight?

quote:

I suppose if someone "just believes" - that's just the way it is - but in that case - maybe open your mind to other possibilities, and/or "hang on loosely."

It's hanging on tightly that causes all the trouble.

Ah, wonderful sentiment, my friend. I sometimes say that I have beliefs, but I don't believe in them.

Divinefurball, I appreciate your kind words. I'm happy the post helped in some way.

With Love
cosmic
Go to Top of Page

Jo-self

USA
225 Posts

Posted - May 17 2009 :  11:44:31 AM  Show Profile  Visit Jo-self's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Nice article on Christian Yoga as found in Russia: The Unknown Russian Mysticism at http://www.hridayamyoga.org/papers/...ysticism.pdf

-- jo-self
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000