Other Systems and Alternate Approaches
 mindfullness vs. Patanjali
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Paresh

USA
28 Posts

Posted - May 14 2009 :  10:24:41 AM  Show Profile  Visit Paresh's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Any thoughts on the difference between "yoga meditation" & mindfullness/vipassana which comes from the Buddhist tradition? My best understanding is that Patanjali is referring to a deep absorption process (getting into an altered state) and mindfullness is just being present & investigating what is happening right now. This seems much more practical to me. Thanks!

Edited by - AYPforum on May 17 2009 12:19:24 PM

CarsonZi

Canada
3189 Posts

Posted - May 14 2009 :  11:07:41 AM  Show Profile  Visit CarsonZi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Paresh....

My personal opinion is that meditation is to be done twice daily, and mindfullness is to be done throughout the rest of the day while out and active in the world. Personally I find I receive much more benefit from doing mantra meditation at meditation time, and mindfullness during the day while I am NOT meditating. I know that this may be considered totally wrong by some, but this is my experience.

Love,
Carson
Go to Top of Page

Konchok Ösel Dorje

USA
545 Posts

Posted - May 14 2009 :  12:41:46 PM  Show Profile  Visit Konchok Ösel Dorje's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Buddhist meditation has two aspects. First is Shamata, calm abiding. This is what mantra is for. The second part is Vipassana which is inquiry at first; then, it becomes deep insight and wisdom. You need both aspects for true meditation.
Go to Top of Page

miguel

Spain
1197 Posts

Posted - May 14 2009 :  12:52:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
one question osel..
Has ayp system this two parts in its teachings for developing both?
Can you tell us wich parts of ayp work with this two parts (i suposse i am meditation does the first part when you said
quote:
This is what mantra is for
? i suposse second part are self inquiry teachings from yogani...
Thanks brother

Edited by - miguel on May 14 2009 12:56:39 PM
Go to Top of Page

Konchok Ösel Dorje

USA
545 Posts

Posted - May 14 2009 :  4:37:37 PM  Show Profile  Visit Konchok Ösel Dorje's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Yogani would better to explain this according to his view. According to the Buddhist view mantra and AYP DM is shamata. The AYP Self-Inquiry teachings are rudimentary forms of vipashayana. AYP doesn't have a specific wisdom practice. However, I believe Yogani would say that AYP's teaching on silence or stillness or whatever is the term used is cultivated with the Mantra practice. The AYP teaching would be that the stillness or silence is the same experience as the Buddhist Emptiness. Some Buddhists will agree and assert that the silence experience is Emptiness. Other Buddhists will say that the silence is shamata, merely deep relaxation and stillness.

My view is that the silence is experience is shamata, not the vipashyana experience of Emptiness. But, depending on the karma of the practitioner, can become vipashyana after many years of practice if the practitioner fully actualizes no attachment and no focus.

Know that shamata (calm abiding) and vipashyana (emptiness) lie along a continuum. The test as to whether you are in one or the other is that when you arise from your meditation, do you know how to resolve afflictive emotions. If you have no insight into how to resolve them at the moment, then your practice was shamata. You took a vacation and were deeply relaxed. If you learn to actualize no attachment and no focus and can abide with no fears or hopes, then you have engaged in vipashyana.
Go to Top of Page

miguel

Spain
1197 Posts

Posted - May 15 2009 :  05:44:23 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you Oshel.
Go to Top of Page

mimirom

Czech Republic
368 Posts

Posted - May 15 2009 :  09:45:42 AM  Show Profile  Visit mimirom's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi all,

this seems to be a never-ending story... I was very much into discussing the differences and complementarities of AYP DM and vipassana/shamata/mettá practice, as taught by Theravadan monks here in Europe. We had a fairly extensive discussion on this here some six moths ago, with some contributions definitely worth reading. Some of the people here wouldn't agree that AYP DM is samatha, others do. For me personally, concentration, as taught in Burma, feels very different to AYP DM, so far.
What I know as Vipassana, is WAY different to AYP DM. (And it is a fact, that with vipassana practice one does enter profoundly altered states of consciousness, btw. You can't simply say "just being present & investigating...", since this can be done on very deep levels.)

Well, I guess that there hasn't been given a comprehensive answer yet. Still much disagreement...

What I know is, that practicing AYP DM on a daily basis for 6 months, has not lessen my interest in vipassana, I I'm really excited to do a retreat soon. What I can say now is, that one does definitely not replace the other, imo.

Roman
Go to Top of Page

Yonatan

Israel
849 Posts

Posted - May 15 2009 :  5:05:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi,

I just came back from a walk with the dogs (I have 2) and during the walk I thought to myself, I'll try to be mindful during this walk.. I became very attentive to everything going on in the moment, mostly sounds though, it was very pleasant, and after a while I felt ecstatic feelings and tingles going up my body and spine.. and as I remained mindful the feelings continued till the end of the walk, and feeling it a little till now.. I also felt an inner silence like I feel sometimes in my DM but more strongly than usual.. I think mindfulness might increase inner silence and with it ecstatic conductivity if someone is practicing things like SBP that increase ecstatic conductivity..

Some thoughts..

Yonatan
Go to Top of Page

brother neil

USA
752 Posts

Posted - May 15 2009 :  5:48:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
so when one walks around feeling empty, no emotion, just there, this is a good thing, who would want to do that?
Go to Top of Page

miguel

Spain
1197 Posts

Posted - May 16 2009 :  2:08:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Mimiron,thanks for the link.its a wonderful threath.

Edited by - miguel on May 16 2009 2:17:51 PM
Go to Top of Page

Konchok Ösel Dorje

USA
545 Posts

Posted - May 17 2009 :  09:47:54 AM  Show Profile  Visit Konchok Ösel Dorje's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by brother neil

so when one walks around feeling empty, no emotion, just there, this is a good thing, who would want to do that?

What you are missing is that the feeling of meditation is so much greater and awe-inspiring than your ordinary emotions and sensations. The meditation experience is beyond anything you can imagine.

You don't walk around feeling empty. The Emptiness is a meditation state and a technique. When you utilize the Emptiness many different feelings and experiences come.

Your karmic emotions are like walking around wearing the same dirty laundry your whole life, and never washing your clothes. The Emptiness is no attachment and no focus. Your emotions are all attachment and fixation: these are caused by ignorance. The Emptiness is wisdom.

After realizing something you were ignorant about, you look back at your ignorant self and wonder how you ever got along in that state. For example, twenty years ago, most people would say that a black man could never be President of the US. Now those people are living in a totally different world. That belief was clearly wrong. What else is clearly wrong?

I will share these four thoughts with you: This human life is difficult to obtain and is endowed with a precious opportunity to awaken from ignorance. Death is coming quickly; time is running out; nothing in this life or the next has any permanence at all; why would you cling to any thing? Each life leads to another in countless numbers of worlds in the six realms of Samsara; there is not a single speck of real happiness any where on Earth or in the heavens. Good and bad deeds ultimately ripen into suffering; karma is a strict father; even the long-life gods suffer greatly when they die; this human life is your final chance; don't fritter it away in meaningless pursuits.

Turn your mind to Dharma. Start observing your sensations and emotions that arise. Ask yourself if you can let them go one by one in exchange for a life beyond the mind of the deity? Dharma is the Supreme Vehicle.
Go to Top of Page

AYPforum

351 Posts

Posted - May 17 2009 :  12:19:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Moderator note: Topic moved for better placement
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000