Discussions on AYP Pranayama, Mudras and Bandhas
 Most effective use of 10 minutes?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

solo

USA
167 Posts

Posted - Jan 06 2009 :  11:35:27 AM  Show Profile  Visit solo's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Say you have 10 spare minutes and you want to meditate. This isn't time enough to do your entire AYP routine.

What would you do?

Richard

United Kingdom
857 Posts

Posted - Jan 06 2009 :  11:38:23 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Solo

Easy 5 min spinal breathing and 5 mins meditation
Go to Top of Page

CarsonZi

Canada
3189 Posts

Posted - Jan 06 2009 :  1:00:57 PM  Show Profile  Visit CarsonZi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
How about a back bend, a forward bend, 2 minutes of SBP and 7 minutes of DM? That's what I would do!

Love,
Carson
Go to Top of Page

Richard

United Kingdom
857 Posts

Posted - Jan 06 2009 :  2:48:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
How about a back bend, a forward bend, 2 minutes of SBP and 7 minutes of DM? That's what I would do!

Maybe but everyone is different it takes me at least 2 mins to get into SB

Edited by - Richard on Jan 06 2009 2:58:21 PM
Go to Top of Page

CarsonZi

Canada
3189 Posts

Posted - Jan 06 2009 :  3:16:57 PM  Show Profile  Visit CarsonZi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Sorry Richard,

Wasn't meaning to contradict you or anything. It just takes me a little longer then you I guess to hit the silence in DM and not as long to feel the energy in SBP. I guess we are all different and what is best for one won't be best for another. Please don't take offence.

Love,
Carson
Go to Top of Page

Richard

United Kingdom
857 Posts

Posted - Jan 06 2009 :  3:36:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Wasn't meaning to contradict you or anything. It just takes me a little longer then you I guess to hit the silence in DM and not as long to feel the energy in SBP. I guess we are all different and what is best for one won't be best for another. Please don't take offence.

None taken Carson as I said and you have reiterated everyone is different
Go to Top of Page

emc

2072 Posts

Posted - Jan 07 2009 :  01:36:44 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I'd say 2 min Pranayama, 4-5 min meditation and.... most important: REST for the last 3-4 minutes.

It's not the quality of the meditation session that is important. No need to "get into it" if you don't. It works anyway. You have fueled your bhakti, connected with stillness and the job is done!

I've been living on such short meditation session on and off, and they work fine. Mostly that is shown or "prooven" when overload is present, and I pull back to such short and shallow practices (almost mechanical sometimes, not "getting into it" at all it seems) to self-pace... well... it doesn't help that much! The effect is strong anyway, I feel it in the energetics, which is a sign that even those short moments of practice are profound in their influence on the system.
Go to Top of Page

solo

USA
167 Posts

Posted - Jan 07 2009 :  09:28:58 AM  Show Profile  Visit solo's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by emc

I'd say 2 min Pranayama, 4-5 min meditation and.... most important: REST for the last 3-4 minutes.

It's not the quality of the meditation session that is important. No need to "get into it" if you don't. It works anyway. You have fueled your bhakti, connected with stillness and the job is done!

I've been living on such short meditation session on and off, and they work fine. Mostly that is shown or "prooven" when overload is present, and I pull back to such short and shallow practices (almost mechanical sometimes, not "getting into it" at all it seems) to self-pace... well... it doesn't help that much! The effect is strong anyway, I feel it in the energetics, which is a sign that even those short moments of practice are profound in their influence on the system.

When you say finish with 3-4 minutes of REST, are you talking savasana pose? semi supine? Just sitting in your normal meditation pose in stillness? What do you do?
Go to Top of Page

CarsonZi

Canada
3189 Posts

Posted - Jan 07 2009 :  10:15:43 AM  Show Profile  Visit CarsonZi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Solo,

I think savasana is recommended.

Love,
Carson
Go to Top of Page

YogaIsLife

641 Posts

Posted - Jan 07 2009 :  12:05:45 PM  Show Profile  Visit YogaIsLife's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
This is a funny exercise because it shows everyone is different and, from my experience, it also changes in one person over time.

If I had 10min only now I would meditate for 5 minutes and rest the next five minutes. Maybe I would also do 2 minutes os asanas (back and forward stretches) beforehand. (come on, if one can do 10, one can also do 12! )
Go to Top of Page

emc

2072 Posts

Posted - Jan 07 2009 :  2:10:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I just sit still in the same position after meditation to rest in stillness without the mantra going.
Go to Top of Page

CarsonZi

Canada
3189 Posts

Posted - Jan 07 2009 :  2:22:23 PM  Show Profile  Visit CarsonZi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi emc,

I always thought it was kinda important during the rest time to lay down and uncross your legs because then that lets the blood flow out from being trapped in the upper two thirds of the body and allows the body to actually "rest". Am I wrong in thinking this? Is it not important to lie down?

Love,
Carson
Go to Top of Page

emc

2072 Posts

Posted - Jan 07 2009 :  3:13:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
"The purpose of rest at the end of our meditation is to allow the releases that are in progress to complete themselves before we get up. This can be as simple as taking a couple of minutes with no mantra while sitting on our meditation seat before we get up, stretching a bit and then slowly opening our eyes. Or, if we have a lot of releases going on in meditation, we may want to lie down for five or ten minutes, and then slowly get up." /Yogani - Deep meditation, p 50

Everything is ok, nothing in AYP is "should" or "shouldn't". I just wanted to remind about the resting time, though, since noone mentioned it above. It's a very important part of practices that may lead to discomfort if ignored.

I sometimes lie down afterwards, when the body says it needs that. Often the practice has been so deep then, so I go to sleep for 2 hours afterwards. Most often, I sit in stillness until there's a clear *doing* - energy shifting - and eyes open and I'm alert and refreshed. I don't have to decide when rest is over. It shows itself in a clear way.

Edited by - emc on Jan 07 2009 3:16:20 PM
Go to Top of Page

CarsonZi

Canada
3189 Posts

Posted - Jan 07 2009 :  3:26:08 PM  Show Profile  Visit CarsonZi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Yes I am the same way. Except I always feel the need to lie down. Maybe I just always have a lot of purification happening. Sometimes if I have time I too will fall asleep for an hour or so afterwards and I always wake up bright eyed and bushy tailed if I allow my body to rest as long as it needs. Thank you for the reminder about the need for adaquate rest time. Namaste.

Love,
Carson

Edited by - CarsonZi on Jan 07 2009 3:28:40 PM
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000