Discussions on AYP Deep Meditation and Samyama
 Mantra Energy
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Emil

Australia
141 Posts

Posted - Nov 11 2008 :  8:24:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hi guys,
I'm reopening this discussion to discuss a different aspect of the mantras. In the last couple of posts some of you talked about the mantra sound vibration and the effect of different syllables. I've heard that there is also another aspect to a mantra and that is the energy that it gets from higher beings.
In various spiritual systems some mantras are said to be "highly charged" by gurus and tend to carry more energy than other mantras. In some systems it is believed that if you get a mantra from a book it won't work as good as it would if you got it from a teacher or guru.

My question would be: How important is that aspect?
From what I've read at AYP, Yogani seems to have more respect the effect of sound vibrations than the energy given to a mantra.
Is that right?

riptiz

United Kingdom
741 Posts

Posted - Nov 12 2008 :  1:26:41 PM  Show Profile  Visit riptiz's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Emil,
In my experience, having been given several mantras from a realised guru, the mantras are more powerful when given this way.From the AYP viewpoint I think they would be rejected simply because self pacing is encouraged and some would overdose with very little use.Before others say that there is no difference then let me say I have experience of mantras from TM which are not given by a realised guru and ones that are.The mantras of TM give good effect as will IAM but the energy levels are not comparable in my experience.
How important? Depends on what you are aiming for and how quickly I guess.No matter what technique we use we will not know how far we have to go until we get there.
L&L
Dave
Go to Top of Page

YogaIsLife

641 Posts

Posted - Nov 12 2008 :  4:29:51 PM  Show Profile  Visit YogaIsLife's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Well, in a sense you can say that the I AM mantra is also given by a realised person and thus can also be "heavily charged"...

Still, I think the vibrations themselves are important also. Definitely, the effect of OM, for example, is quite different from I AM or SHREE.
Go to Top of Page

Christi

United Kingdom
4380 Posts

Posted - Nov 13 2008 :  05:13:34 AM  Show Profile  Visit Christi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Emil,

I was given 2 mantras by 2 different realized gurus in India, and I can safely say that there is no difference between using the AYP mantras (given to me by a realized guru) and the ones I was given in India. In fact, I prefer the AYP mantras, because they come with a structured enhancement system (sounds very modern doesn't it), whereas the ones I was given in India did not. I was basically given the full mantra to work with from day one.

Christi
Go to Top of Page

Emil

Australia
141 Posts

Posted - Nov 13 2008 :  10:44:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi all,
Next question would be do you believe getting a mantra from writings of a realized guru would be the same as getting it from them in person?
Christi, I assume you've got your mantra through reading AYP website.. right?
Go to Top of Page

x.j.

304 Posts

Posted - Nov 14 2008 :  04:02:19 AM  Show Profile  Visit x.j.'s Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Christi

Hi Emil,
I was given 2 mantras by 2 different realized gurus in India, and I can safely say that there is no difference between using the AYP mantras (given to me by a realized guru) and the ones I was given in India.
Christi

Say there Christi, Excuse me for asking but how do you tell for certain that somebody happens to be a a real live realized guru? Wouldn't you be just speculating on that, unless you were a realized guru yourself and could tell for sure? I'm just startled by the certainty with which you appoint someone as being that.
Go to Top of Page

Christi

United Kingdom
4380 Posts

Posted - Nov 14 2008 :  05:44:01 AM  Show Profile  Visit Christi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Next question would be do you believe getting a mantra from writings of a realized guru would be the same as getting it from them in person?

Hi Emil,

The important thing about mantras is the way in which you use them in daily meditation. Whether the mantra was whispered into your ear by an enlightened master bathed in divine light, or you recieve it in a letter from her, makes little difference. A week later, after your eyesight has returned, it will be how you use it twice a day that counts.

quote:
Christi, I assume you've got your mantra through reading AYP website.. right?

That's right.

Christi
Go to Top of Page

Christi

United Kingdom
4380 Posts

Posted - Nov 14 2008 :  05:56:48 AM  Show Profile  Visit Christi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi x.j.

quote:
Say there Christi, Excuse me for asking but how do you tell for certain that somebody happens to be a a real live realized guru?

The easiest way to tell is that realized masters radiate energy and love. The energy can be felt, tangibly, as bliss when you are in their presence, and their eyes shine with love. Every action they make is in service to the world and to humanity (being the outward manifestation of the divine love that they are).

Some people cannot feel the divine radiance that surrounds a living master, because they are still too insensitive. But everyone can see the love shining from their eyes, and the way they live their life in selfless service.

These people are very rare on the earth these days.

Christi
Go to Top of Page

riptiz

United Kingdom
741 Posts

Posted - Nov 14 2008 :  09:32:45 AM  Show Profile  Visit riptiz's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Emil,
What makes the mantra different is the fact that the realised guru who has siddhi of mantra imbues it with their personal energy and makes a connection to you so that you also get the benefit of their energies.It makes no difference if you get it in person or by intent.When I begin my sadhana I connect to my guru and can feel the energy increase even before I start practices.
L&L
Dave
Go to Top of Page

x.j.

304 Posts

Posted - Nov 14 2008 :  1:19:27 PM  Show Profile  Visit x.j.'s Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Christi

Hi x.j.

quote:
Say there Christi, Excuse me for asking but how do you tell for certain that somebody happens to be a a real live realized guru?

The easiest way to tell is that realized masters radiate energy and love. The energy can be felt, tangibly, as bliss when you are in their presence, and their eyes shine with love. Every action they make is in service to the world and to humanity (being the outward manifestation of the divine love that they are).
Some people cannot feel the divine radiance that surrounds a living master, because they are still too insensitive. But everyone can see the love shining from their eyes, and the way they live their life in selfless service.
Christi

And how about when you are not in their physical presence to feel and see them irradiate you, but just reading their words on AYP. How can you tell then with such certainty Christi?
Go to Top of Page

Christi

United Kingdom
4380 Posts

Posted - Nov 15 2008 :  04:46:57 AM  Show Profile  Visit Christi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi x.j.

quote:

And how about when you are not in their physical presence to feel and see them irradiate you, but just reading their words on AYP. How can you tell then with such certainty Christi?

When someone is radiating love, that love even shines through the words that they write.

Christi
Go to Top of Page

newpov

USA
183 Posts

Posted - Nov 16 2008 :  2:25:59 PM  Show Profile  Visit newpov's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I am given to understand that the purpose of mantra is not worshipful but utilitarian and neurobiological exclusively: namely, to carry one to initial quiet and stillness beyond the mind; and then later, after various kundalini or energetics matters have been dealt with, to carry ones to the Doorway of final stillness (various stages of enlightenment or samadhi), involving advaitic extinction of the ego, which is a matter of grace.

Two questions from a beginner who is trying to progress in the short term:

Over and beyond provenance of the mantra, ought a beginner's personal aim or ishta to participate in choice of mantra? [For example, could an effective mantra be the Sanskrit sequence of sounds, "aham prema" which means "I AM divine love"?]

Can apparent agreement of mantra with personal aim or ishta work to enhance "mantra energy" or mantra spiritual effectiveness for a beginner's practice in the short term?

newpov
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000