Discussions on AYP Deep Meditation and Samyama
 Samyama and 'some inner silence'
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

krcqimpro1

India
329 Posts

Posted - Nov 12 2008 :  11:29:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
In his book-let on Samyama, Yoganiji says " the only prerequisite is having some inner silence". I have some difficulty in understanding this. Perhaps some member can help me in understanding how I can tell I have "some inner silence" before I include Samyama in my sittings.

Also, regardless of whether I include Samyama in my regular sittings, can I practice Cosmic Samyama, since I believe it promotes good sleep.

While I have been doing some yogasanas and a lot of yogic breathing and pranayama for a few years, I have started AYP only 2 mths ago.

Edited by - AYPforum on Nov 13 2008 12:16:39 AM

machart

USA
342 Posts

Posted - Nov 13 2008 :  01:11:03 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
"some inner silence" ... if you ever stop your breathing between inhalation and exhalation ... and notice it ...you have some inner silence.
Go to Top of Page

Ananda

3115 Posts

Posted - Nov 13 2008 :  04:23:08 AM  Show Profile  Visit Ananda's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
some inner silence is the result of deep meditation, when it's out there you can't do anything but notice it sometimes it jumps on you like a tiger that's samadhi even in tiny amounts.

or that kind of warm quietude that comes up from within...

this is inner silence and it's cultivated by the practice of deep meditation for a period of few months maybe in some cases earlier and spinal breathing pranayama accelerates the effect of the practice.

so it's not advised to practice samyama if there is no inner silence, cz it simply wont work plus concerning cosmic samyama yogani advise it's add on after years of practices not this early on.

light and love,

Ananda
Go to Top of Page

krcqimpro1

India
329 Posts

Posted - Nov 13 2008 :  07:58:16 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Machart and ananda. Thanks for your response. Now I can look out for "inner silence.

Krish
Go to Top of Page

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - Nov 13 2008 :  09:03:24 AM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
When Yogani says, the only prerequisite is some "inner silence".. I think he is talking about some sense of silence in meditation. When I started meditating, I had a very active mind.. and I would have 20 million thoughts arising at the same time.. it was utter confusion.. and I guess adding samyama at such a point would be useless.. but if you have even a bit of silence during meditation, you can add samyama.

Here is what Yogani has to say:
quote:
http://www.aypsite.org/forum/topic....C_ID=306#103Originally posted by yogani

It only takes a little inner silence to begin to gain some benefit from samyama practice. In the AYP lessons we can leap-frog to samyama as soon as we feel we are ready. See the recent lesson on this at http://www.aypsite.org/269.html

Leap-frogging is not recommended for any other practice in AYP. But for samyama, it can serve us well if we have some inner silence coming up.

How do we know if we have some inner silence? If we find the mantra fading naturally and we are picking it up at very refined and fuzzy levels when we go back to it, then that is inner silence. That is also where we do samyama, at that fuzzy level on the edge of no thoughts at all. It is very simple. It is usually easy to notice if we are picking up the mantra at a refined level. We cannot force this to happen. It happens according to ongoing purification. It will not be refined like that all the time either. It depends on what purification is going on in our nervous system at the moment. If it is refined like that from time to time, then we can benefit from samyama. In fact, samyama will improve our ability to pick up the mantra deep in the mind.

So, if we are having that experience of fuzzy mantra fading away, then samyama will not be a waste of time. If we start too early with samyama, we will not do ourselves any harm either. As always, it is up to you. Here it is: http://www.aypsite.org/150.html Make sure to read the lessons before and after too, so you will get the whole picture.

The guru is in you.

and
quote:
http://www.aypsite.org/forum/topic....D=3696#31999
As is the case with core samyama, inner silence is the prerequisite for effective cosmic samyama. Even just a little abiding stillness from deep meditation will go a long way with samyama, and everything else too.

Yogani also adds:

quote:
http://www.aypsite.org/forum/topic....D=3551#30996
In the AYP lessons, the practices are put more or less in the order of influence and importance. But there can be some shuffling according to individual need. For example, samyama can be moved up the list with good effect. Other things are best left in the order given for undertaking them, like deep meditation, spinal breathing, and the mantra enhancements.

I would recommend adding samyama with sitting practice only to being with.. and once you are comfortable with that, adding cosmic samyama before sleep. Adding sitting samyama and cosmic samyama before sleep at once may not be a good idea... may lead to too much purification.
Go to Top of Page

Ananda

3115 Posts

Posted - Nov 13 2008 :  1:33:15 PM  Show Profile  Visit Ananda's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
i'm sorry Shanti to point this out, but in the samyama book yogani doesn't recommend adding cosmic samyama until after years of practice it would be nice if more light could be shed on this point.
Go to Top of Page

yogani

USA
5195 Posts

Posted - Nov 13 2008 :  2:38:54 PM  Show Profile  Visit yogani's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Ananda

i'm sorry Shanti to point this out, but in the samyama book yogani doesn't recommend adding cosmic samyama until after years of practice it would be nice if more light could be shed on this point.

Hi Ananda and All:

The main thing is to be stable in regular core samyama practice before undertaking cosmic samyama. That is the suggestion, and it could take quite a while because it takes time in daily practice for the nine core samyama sutras to "bake in" and be moving plenty of stillness out through our nervous system. That is when we are ready to take stillness much further with cosmic samyama. On the other hand, cosmic samyama could be tried at anytime. The practitioner is free to choose. No harm done if cosmic samyama is taken on early, but the results would not be guaranteed.

It's best to take things one step at a time.

The guru is in you.

Go to Top of Page

krcqimpro1

India
329 Posts

Posted - Nov 14 2008 :  11:26:13 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Machart, is it only between inhalation and exhalation or also between exhalation and inhalation ?
Go to Top of Page

machart

USA
342 Posts

Posted - Nov 14 2008 :  1:40:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi K,

My experience is that the gaps between inhalation and exhalation (and vice-versa) are excellent moments for experiencing stillness. My hatha teacher emphasizes this technique anytime we are holding poses for an extended period. You are not intentionally holding the breath like kumbhaka but very subtly noticing the exquisitely smoothe transitions (with great awareness on the short gap) between the in-going and out-going breath...witnessing the dance of life....
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000