Bhakti and Karma Yoga
 The importance of Love
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

CarsonZi

Canada
3189 Posts

Posted - Nov 11 2008 :  3:40:09 PM  Show Profile  Visit CarsonZi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Namaste Friends,

Recently I started working at a local homeless shelter. We feed approximately 6000 meals a day plus bag lunches and snacks, coffee etc., we house over 2000 homeless every night etc, so it's a big shelter and quite an interesting cross section of people. My reason for getting a job here is because I approached this shelter with the aid of the Art of Living Foundation in hopes of starting an AYP Meditation Group for the addicts on the Rehab floor of the building. They offered me a job as a "Care worker", (basically a social worker/counsellor without a degree) and I have had 3 shifts so far. What I have come to realize is that there is a step that I didn't realize existed that has to be stepped on before meditation can even be introduced as a solution to addiction or as a life skill. This step is Love. I have come to realize through experience now, how marginalized the homeless are. I have met a Geologist, an Engineer, a full time employed sober man who has been thrown out of his own house by an addicted spouse but because of warrants out for his arrest (drunk in public and failure to appear on said charge) he can't call the police on her and get his place back, and everyone in between. But to the majority of society, these people are scum, beggers, losers, addicts, and above all, unlovable. I have learned that these people need love more than anything. They are like children who have been abandoned by their families. All they seek is a little love and approval. And that is very hard for a homeless addict or a homeless "working poor" person to come by. Sometimes they find love from another like them, but this is always too short as life on the streets is treacherous in so many ways. So for now, my goal of opening a meditation group for the addicts and homeless is being pushed back. I have realized that I am already helping to change many lives here without preaching meditation to everyone. First I love, then I will teach. If I don't love these people, then noone will listen. And for these people to understand that I truly DO love them and am not just saying that, it will take time. I am cool with that now though. Patience has alwasy been something I struggle with. People at the shelter are already gravitating to me. I have a group of probably 50 some people already who make sure they connect with me daily, and the divine outpouring love is finally finding an appropriate outlet. These people I know in the future will attend my group. And actually on a side note, the group at the shelter is already taking a totally different form then I had imagined. A small room has been given to me to set up cushions and decorate for a meditation room. I will set up a full set of the AYP books there as well for people to sign out at their desire. This room is going to be dedicated for employees. Over 200 of us at the shelter and there are many who are already raring to use the room. This will be a great "in" for the AYP teachings. Anyways, I just wanted to share a little about the importance of love. Have a great Rememberance Day.

Love,
Carson

Edited by - CarsonZi on Nov 11 2008 3:54:00 PM

Katrine

Norway
1813 Posts

Posted - Nov 11 2008 :  4:13:42 PM  Show Profile  Visit Katrine's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Carson

How beautiful - that you love the way you do
That's a wonderful contribution, your work at that center.

It will not take long for people there to trust you. Patience is needed in all areas of life.....but love has a way of working wonders faster than we think. So don't "rule out" an earlier start of a DM group
After all - from day 1 of meditation these people will turn within towards the source and fact of love itself. You never know - many of them will be in a surrendered position already - they have gone through a lot in life, and may be sensitive to their own inner silence in ways we cannot forsee.

How great - that you already have an AYP room there. I love to hear it, Carson

Good luck with all of it
Go to Top of Page

newpov

USA
183 Posts

Posted - Nov 11 2008 :  4:19:39 PM  Show Profile  Visit newpov's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I've been marginalized, and I remember.

It will still be quite soon time before you have fully experienced what it means to have been marginalized in life, much less remember that experience.

You're getting $10 per hour, if that. Maybe you can look at the job as a graduate education in patience and spiritual practice, and see your wage as a stipend that subsidizes this education; then you'll have something internally to offer to counter the palpable desperation in the lives of these varied, discarded and much diminished people.

Soon others may come to you asking why you are in the job or why you stay in it. "I've been working things out in my own life and I can get as much here as I give." Or something like that.
Go to Top of Page

YogaIsLife

641 Posts

Posted - Nov 11 2008 :  4:51:29 PM  Show Profile  Visit YogaIsLife's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you for sharing your experiences Carson. That was a beautiful post and I wish you all the best in the new job. Hope all goes your way.

Love, ah, Love! So important and so hard to find these days...or so it seems...
Go to Top of Page

CarsonZi

Canada
3189 Posts

Posted - Nov 11 2008 :  6:40:50 PM  Show Profile  Visit CarsonZi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Katrine,

I'm not ruling anything out, I'm just not forcing anything. I am finding that this is the best way at this centre and maybe in life in general. I don't even force conversation on anyone there. All the conversation gravitates to me. I am covered in tattoos so that instantly gives me some street credibility and often is the icebreaker. Many people come up to me to talk about my ink. Especially Indian men who see the OM symbol tattooed on my neck. This has been a great way to talk about meditation at least with those with some Eastern religious experience in the past, and there are many at this centre. Many have turned to alcohol though. And I know it won't take long. Today will be only my 4rth shift and like I said, I already have at least 50 people who consider me a close friend now. People who know I love them deeply and unconditionally. Some of these people could tell this just from looking at me and have said so. I am really excited about having a meditation room there already too. It's a much needed place of solace after times of crisis and I'm sure it will get much use. And once I get a full set of AYP books it will be really easy for people to read the message themselves, and I don't have to be teacher at all. Just a participant. Lovely. Thanks for the encouragement.

Hi newpov,

Actually I'm making $20 an hour (not that it matters), and believe me I remember what it is like to be marginalized. I'm a drug addict remember? I hit rock bottom just like everyone else. I remember. But you are right in that it is a good opportunity to work on patience and unconditional love for mankind, two things I have needed to improve on greatly in my life. And I am trying and pleasantly succeeding thus far. And I feel I already have much to offer these people and they seem to think so too. Even if it is just conversation. I was helping a lady dress some wounds on her feet the other day and an Indian man came up to me and started yelling at me because I would only sit with Honkeys and I never would come and sit with him, an Indian, at his table. I assured him I would come sit with him as soon as I finished with the lady's feet and I did. i was soon one of his best friends. I have much to offer because I see God in all these people. Where others see disease, addiction, lack of hygiene, I see myself...God. And I love God more and more everyday, and these people more and more everyday and they see that and are receptive to it. Human connection must be made before any solutions offered will be taken seriously. This is my experience and so human connection is what I am working on. Meditation will come in due time.

Hi Yogaislife,

Thanks for the well wishes, I'm loving this job immensely. Love is the glue that binds us all together.

Love,
Carson

Edited by - CarsonZi on Nov 18 2008 12:52:21 PM
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000