Discussions on AYP Deep Meditation and Samyama
 pain in the neck while meditating
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

nearoanoke

USA
525 Posts

Posted - Sep 05 2005 :  1:40:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
It usually happens when i go over the 20 mins time limit. Sometimes during 20 mins itself.

I get a pain in the back side of my neck along with stiffness in that place. Once or twice I got a pain on the backside of my head. When i stopped repeating mantra it used to stop.

has anyone got these pains and if so what are the reasons? thanks in advance for the clarification

-----------------
God might not always give you what you WANT, but he will always give you what you NEED

Edited by - nearoanoke on Sep 05 2005 3:00:04 PM

Victor

USA
910 Posts

Posted - Sep 05 2005 :  3:10:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
this can have several causes. the most basic might be the way that you are sitting. is there binding in your hips? are your legs tucked to tightly or is your pelvis tilting too much? are you sitting on a pillow or a chair or on your bed or flat on the floor? The base of a posture can affect every part so thats the place to start. Are your arms relaxed or are they fixed? Are your palms turned up or down? This can also effect your neck.
The next thing is that you mentioned the mantra as having an effect so that can be involved too. I found that I used to unconciously pronounce I AM as I'm and when I coreected it a constriction in my throat released. Also, what about your tongue position? Are you pulling it back strongly or is it softly resting back on your palate or version of kechari? Its funny how the most simple of practices can have so many refinements butthat is what keeps it interesting as well. Look into these things, explore and let us know how it goes.
Go to Top of Page

david_obsidian

USA
2602 Posts

Posted - Sep 06 2005 :  11:23:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hello Near,

when the pain comes with the mantra and goes like that, one question to ask is whether or not you are inadvertently bringing some 'force' or concentration intensity to the mantra practice.

Are you taking it as it comes, as you should, or are you trying to control it and make it better?

If that is what is happening, I have a few ideas.

Keep a very relaxed and easy approach to it; ironically, take very little responsibility for what happens.

You are doing something as easy as twiddling your thumbs. Relax into how easy that is.

I have a suggested technique (side-practice) posted on the forum for dealing with excessive concentration in mantra yoga, which you might want to look at. That technique by the way, is a sort of drill to familiarize yourself with the nature of concentration effort and also of dropping it -- it's not a general meditation practice.

Here it is:

http://www.aypsite.org/forum/topic....TOPIC_ID=339

Cheers,

-D

quote:
Originally posted by nearoanoke

It usually happens when i go over the 20 mins time limit. Sometimes during 20 mins itself.

I get a pain in the back side of my neck along with stiffness in that place. Once or twice I got a pain on the backside of my head. When i stopped repeating mantra it used to stop.

has anyone got these pains and if so what are the reasons? thanks in advance for the clarification

----------------
God might not always give you what you WANT, but he will always give you what you NEED

Edited by - david_obsidian on Sep 07 2005 10:13:02 AM
Go to Top of Page

riptiz

United Kingdom
741 Posts

Posted - Sep 07 2005 :  6:11:41 PM  Show Profile  Visit riptiz's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi,
The pain you speak of is simply caused by the energy trying to push through a blockage.I injured a muscle in my back along time ago practising martial arts and it manifests as a pain in my neck at times as the energy rises.I found the cause when someone gave me healing to the back muscle and immediately the pain started in my neck.It has reduced considerably as I keep up with my meditation and clearing.
L&L
dave

'the mind can see further than the eyes'
Go to Top of Page

david_obsidian

USA
2602 Posts

Posted - Sep 07 2005 :  6:23:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply

Hi Near,

Dave's (riptiz) response just now has reminded me of another 'technique' or approach for dealing with such a thing. That is to let the mantra go for a while and just let the attention rest on whereever the pain is. The attention itself becomes healing as the mind starts to go to stillness.

And sometimes, as Dave says, that pain is a blockage releasing. In that case, it is particularly useful to do that healing-attention technique.

-David
Go to Top of Page

nearoanoke

USA
525 Posts

Posted - Sep 07 2005 :  8:18:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks everybody for your responses. The neck pains are probably blockages clearing away. Sometimes I just want to go thru the pain and dont stop but thats against to what's suggested in AYP. So I just stop repeating mantra for a while waiting for the pain to go away.

------------------
Go to Top of Page

david_obsidian

USA
2602 Posts

Posted - Sep 08 2005 :  09:38:38 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by nearoanoke

So I just stop repeating mantra for a while waiting for the pain to go away.

... yes, and I'd just add, while 'waiting', bring your attention to exactly where the pain is being felt.... or even to the pain itself

-D

Edited by - david_obsidian on Sep 08 2005 09:39:21 AM
Go to Top of Page

roberto128

USA
17 Posts

Posted - Sep 08 2005 :  5:00:25 PM  Show Profile  Visit roberto128's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply

{{{{... yes, and I'd just add, while 'waiting', bring your attention to exactly where the pain is being felt.... or even to the pain itself}}}}Wrote David.

When you bring your attention to where pain is you'll find that it's size is probably little larger than the head of a pin. It radiates out giving the impression of a larger area.At it's essence it is rather tiny and much easier to breathe away..

Rob
Go to Top of Page

Locrian

USA
21 Posts

Posted - Oct 19 2005 :  3:59:11 PM  Show Profile  Visit Locrian's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Near
I don't mean this post to actually offer anything useful, other than lettign you know that you aren't alone. I had asked about a pain in my shoulder a while back and Yogani wrote back saying that he too has had such "pains" (his response is funny if you read it).
The pain in my Shoulder has not gone away and hurts intensely everytime I go "up" during spinal breathing. It hurts like hell.
Sometimes I wonder if I am making a trade off...as in it's easier to deal with the physical pain instead of whatever emtional garbage is going on there.
hope it ends soon - for both of us!
~Paula

Edited by - Locrian on Oct 19 2005 4:05:23 PM
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000