Satsang Cafe - General Discussions on AYP
 sleeping experience
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

brother neil

USA
752 Posts

Posted - Sep 15 2008 :  4:34:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
I had written on here in the past about how when I sleep sometimes I felt as if a vibration would enter the room and paralyze me and when this happens I can wake up multiple times and get confused as to when I was awake and when I was dreaming, the line of reality gets blurred. It was suggested on here that i could say rise up and see if I would go out of body.

SO last night I was dreaming and the vibration was back except things were different. I was thinking "what was it I was supposed to say" reffering to the rise up as suggested on here. The vibration was inside fo me, I was standing up as well. Also, I could not remember the word so I told myself to breath, which I have been doing a lot of in waking life. I was not as scared this time with the vibration, I was more accepting of it. I also looked down and I was standing about 1 foot above the ground, then I woke up and I was in my bed. Not sure what any of this means, not sure that I need to know, but it was kind of cool to be more at peace wiht whatever it was.
I am love, I am peace, I am joy
I am neil

jillatay

USA
206 Posts

Posted - Sep 15 2008 :  6:32:53 PM  Show Profile  Visit jillatay's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Tubeseeker,

I had sleep paralysis often, all my childhood and after. It is a stage of sleep that, for some of us, is exaggerated, transitioning from one to another stage. It would scare me a lot because, of course, you can't move but it feels like you are moving. I would fight to wake up. The only thing that worked was focusing on breathing and I would awake.

When I learned on the Internet that it was something I could use to leave the body, all the fear went away. Then I looked forward to it happening so I could experiment. I succeeded using the "vibration" to go OOB and travel or explore my surroundings without leaving. The funny thing is since that time I have only had it happen 2 or 3 times.

It is also common to sense another being in the room with you and when frightened this can seem like a threatening presence. Completely natural. That other presence is none other than yourself in the witness state.

What I have learned in the last few years however is that vibration is the membrane or wall that keeps our waking awareness separated from our dream or astral realm. A handy thing if you want to live a normal life. Spiritual practice teaches us to be able to cross that barrier safely and fully aware, consistently. However, that is not the point of spiritual practice just a side effect. I'm not there yet but I can see it off in the future. Now it isn't important to me at all. The best part is being free of fear.

Love to all,
Jill
Go to Top of Page

YogaIsLife

641 Posts

Posted - Mar 12 2010 :  1:26:55 PM  Show Profile  Visit YogaIsLife's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi

I juts found this thread now. I am quite interested in this kind of phenomena recently as I have been experiencing them for years now and was always scared to even think about them. My approach had been - "don't think about it and it will go away". Didn't work . Instead I have been experiencing this superficial sleep and there is also a fear at night when going to bed, kind of like I know somethign is happenign but I don't like it somehow...Now I would like to be more conscious of whta is happening, so this posts were helpful.

I also feel the vibrations and Jill's explanation makes some sense. Often, just after going to sleep, I fall unconscious fast (like falling off a cliff) but then can awaken suddenly in what seemed to be a nick of time (few seconds or minutes). Then I am quite alert again (my mind a bit "refreshed") but there is a weird feeling. I know somethign has happened but don't know what. My physical body is then buzzing and vibrating, half-paralysed. Weird. It feels like my conscious mind wants to somehow be completely aware of the process but somehow "knows" that it can't really control it and I feel that for my safety I should not be completely aware of it. The dilemma comes because I can't also just give up control and surrender completely. Any hints?

This is hard to explain, but this is more or less how it fells...
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000