AYPsite.org Forum
 Satsang Cafe - General Discussions on AYP
 Exercise to Try- Nothing Exists but Now
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Anthem

1608 Posts

Posted - Aug 19 2008 :  12:02:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
I wanted to put a simple little exercise out there that I have been doing occasionally between practices that is very powerful. It is similar to one that Shanti put up a while back. It came up as I started to notice that the events in our lives have an illusion of flow from one to another, but that each is essentially independently arising from the past and future. Essentially, there is only now, which we all know. I experience a fairly intense ecstasy spike when I do it, which is an interesting side-effect that I didn't expect.

I guess it is a form of mindfulness. Simply tell yourself that nothing exists except this moment (that you are in). Repeat it any time you sense thoughts taking you away from the now or thoughts creeping in from the past or future.

To intensify the experience, really completely let go of the past and future. Let everything go, your name, your entire identity, everything you think you know, etc. You are awareness in this moment watching, that is all, it is the only consistency, nothing else exists except this moment. You might notice a little fear come up as you let it all go, that's ok, it will pass.

It's quite restful to let go of all responsibilities. Really dive in and see what happens.

Ananda

3115 Posts

Posted - Aug 19 2008 :  12:51:13 PM  Show Profile  Visit Ananda's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
hello Anthem, i've been there myself and experienced short term samadhi while at it.

i don't know why, but smthg i heard 2 days ago just came over my head.

a friend of my mother told us about a saint here in lebanon whom they were asking a monk in his order how he lived in solitude for all these years and how hard was it for him.

the monk answered the saint went through it step by step, second by second always present in the now...

namaste,

Ananda
Go to Top of Page

brother neil

USA
752 Posts

Posted - Aug 19 2008 :  2:03:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I was going to post a reply but now I have forgotton the words I was going to reply to

Edited by - brother neil on Aug 19 2008 2:15:34 PM
Go to Top of Page

emc

2072 Posts

Posted - Aug 19 2008 :  4:15:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
That's a great one, Andrew! I have a similar question that I ask myself:

Do I have ANY problems whatsoever right NOW?

It forces me to take a closer look at what ever is present RIGHT NOW, which reduces everything else - all other places, times, situations and people included or thoughts/emotions about such things, past, future etc.

I never find I have any problems RIGHT NOW!?! As you say, it brings instant relief, a lighter body and particularly a relief from responsibilities...

Edited by - emc on Aug 19 2008 4:17:15 PM
Go to Top of Page

tadeas

Czech Republic
314 Posts

Posted - Aug 19 2008 :  4:22:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
It's really a form of samyama or relational self-inquiry in ayp terms :)
Yeah, definitely very effective ;)
Go to Top of Page

yogani

USA
5196 Posts

Posted - Aug 19 2008 :  4:38:28 PM  Show Profile  Visit yogani's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Folks:

When there is inner silence present, it is a breeze, isn't it? We can make hay with someone else's self-inquiry system, or invent our own. It all becomes relational -- occurring in stillness. And, yes, samyama is a close cousin in this.

No problemo...

The guru is in you.

Go to Top of Page

Sparkle

Ireland
1457 Posts

Posted - Aug 28 2008 :  1:21:06 PM  Show Profile  Visit Sparkle's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Anthem11

I wanted to put a simple little exercise out there that I have been doing occasionally between practices that is very powerful. It is similar to one that Shanti put up a while back. It came up as I started to notice that the events in our lives have an illusion of flow from one to another, but that each is essentially independently arising from the past and future. Essentially, there is only now, which we all know. I experience a fairly intense ecstasy spike when I do it, which is an interesting side-effect that I didn't expect.

I guess it is a form of mindfulness. Simply tell yourself that nothing exists except this moment (that you are in). Repeat it any time you sense thoughts taking you away from the now or thoughts creeping in from the past or future.

To intensify the experience, really completely let go of the past and future. Let everything go, your name, your entire identity, everything you think you know, etc. You are awareness in this moment watching, that is all, it is the only consistency, nothing else exists except this moment. You might notice a little fear come up as you let it all go, that's ok, it will pass.

It's quite restful to let go of all responsibilities. Really dive in and see what happens.

Great exercise Andrew, I agree it's a form of mindfulness. My experience of this is, as if everything is passing through, although this is not seen unless we momentarily check out and check back in again (if you know what I mean)

So any processing that happened to be going on is just passing through. There may be pain but there is no suffering because nothing is attached to the pain.

This form of mindfulness comes naturally with the development of inner silence, as Yogani pointed out.

I find it nice to listen to music like this. The sounds becoming me in the body just passing though in resonance.
(It makes a change from me imagining myself up on the stage playing that marvoulous electric guitar solo in front of an audience - one of my pet fantasies)
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000