Movies Anyone?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

NagoyaSea

424 Posts

Posted - Apr 11 2009 :  9:25:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I just saw 'Knowing'. Don't watch this one alone! You might want to hold on to someone a few times during the movie.

Even if you disagree with the outcome it might get you thinking and talking about synchronicity, the purpose of life here on earth, what happens after this life, what is beyond this consciousness, etc.

I enjoyed it.

Kathy
Go to Top of Page

Ananda

3115 Posts

Posted - May 17 2009 :  02:13:11 AM  Show Profile  Visit Ananda's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
hi to all,

i've seen three nice spiritual movies lately:

Darshan the embrace - a documentary about Amma the hugging saint while giving her Darshan (blessings.)

Naked in ashes - a good to see and beautiful documentary about the yogis and ascetics of India.

amongst white clouds - takes you on a trip to a sacred mountain in China and gives you the chance to see how Chinese buddhist hermits are living.

by the way i give a third vote to the movie the "Fountain".

light and love,

Ananda
Go to Top of Page

miguel

Spain
1197 Posts

Posted - May 17 2009 :  12:25:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks ananda,must be wonderful videos (i watched on you tube)!

Edited by - miguel on May 17 2009 12:35:02 PM
Go to Top of Page

Simon

Germany
36 Posts

Posted - May 20 2009 :  1:25:15 PM  Show Profile  Visit Simon's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the recommendations so far. I'll check out some of them.

One of my favorite movies....

Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter... and Spring by Ki-duk Kim

In the midst of the Korean wilderness, a Budhist master patiently raises a young boy to grow up in wisdom and compassion, trough experience and endless exercises. Once the pupil discovers his sexual lust, he seems lost to contemplative life and follows his first love, but soon fails to adapt to the modern world, gets in jail for a crime of passion and returns to the master in search of spiritual redemption and reconciliation with karma, at a high price of physical catharsis...

This one's really good

Samsara by Pan Nalin

A spiritual love-story set in the majestic landscape of Ladakh, Himalayas. Samsara is a quest; one man's struggle to find spiritual Enlightenment by renouncing the world. And one woman's struggle to keep her enlightened love and life in the world. But their destiny turns, twists and comes to a surprise ending...

pretty cool movie:

Broken Silence
by Wolfgang Panzer

A Carthusian monk, Fried Adelphi, dedicated to silence and meditation for the last 25 years, tells his story (to priest, Michael Moriarty, in a minor role). His order sends him to Indonesia to request the extension of their cloister's lease. En route to Jakarta, he experiences claustrophobia and de-planes in New Delhi, India. Without contacts or any worldly knowledge, he fortunately is reunited with his fellow passenger, Ashaela, the wallet thief. Unaware of her indiscretion, Fried allows Ashaela to help him find his way to Jakarta.

also interesting:

Into Great Silence by Philip Gröning

Nestled deep in the postcard-perfect French Alps, the Grande Chartreuse is considered one of the world's most ascetic monasteries. In 1984, German filmmaker Philip Groning wrote to seek permission from the Carthusian order to make a documentary about them.Sixteen years later they were ready for him, and sans crew or artificial lighting, Groning lived in the monks' quarters for six months filming their daily prayers, tasks, rituals and rare outdoor excursions.

Also kind of spiritual, but with a lot of violence in it.

Ghost Dog by Jim Jarmusch

In Jersey City, an African American hit man follows "Hagakure: The Way of the Samurai." He lives alone, in simplicity with homing pigeons for company, calling himself Ghost Dog. His master, who saved his life eight years ago, is part of the local mob. When the boss' daughter witnesses one of Ghost Dog's hits, he becomes expendable. The first victims are his birds, and in response, Ghost Dog goes right at his attackers but does not want to harm his master or the young woman. On occasion, he talks with his best friend, a French-speaking Haitian who sells ice cream in the park, and with a child with whom he discusses books. Can he stay true to his code? And if he does, what is his fate?

I haven't watched this one yet. A friend of mine said it's a good one :)

Siddhartha by Conrad Rooks

The story of a young Indian who embarks upon a journey to find the meaning of existence. Based on the novel by Hermann Hesse.

Enough for now :) Have fun.

Edited by - Simon on May 20 2009 2:05:00 PM
Go to Top of Page

sagebrush

USA
292 Posts

Posted - May 20 2009 :  1:59:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
thanks for the recommendations I would probably like the most Grand Chartruese/documentary. Sixteen years in the making?

the name philip groning looks familiar?

anyway they all sound like interesting movies, scenery of nature.

Go to Top of Page

Simon

Germany
36 Posts

Posted - May 21 2009 :  05:34:47 AM  Show Profile  Visit Simon's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Sage, yes the documentary is awesome!! I remember some more movies of this category.

This is my favorite movie. It's directed by Darren Arronofsky, the same guy who made "The Fountain".
It's his first movie and low budget.

Pi by Darren Aronofsky

In Manhattan, behind six locks, lives Max Cohen, a mathematician and computer whiz. Since staring at the sun at age six, he's had terrible headaches; plus, he can't abide human contact except with an aging professor, and he's obsessed with finding numeric patterns. His current obsession is the stock market; his theories bring him to the attention of Wall Street traders. He also keeps running into Lenny, a fast-talking Hasidic who fronts for a cabal that wants to rediscover long-lost mathematical mysteries in the Torah. Neither group is benign, and they pursue Max as his hallucinations and headaches worsen. Does nature offer any solutions? Can Max find them?

The Sky Above Berlin
by Wim Wenders

This Wim Wenders film centers around the story of two angels wandering in a mixture of post-war and modern Berlin. Invisible to humans, they nevertheless give their help and comfort to all the lonely and depressed souls they meet. Finally, after many centuries, one of the angels becomes unhappy with his immortal state and wishes to become human in order to experience the joys of everyday life. He meets a circus acrobat and finds in her the fufillment of all his mortal desires. He also discovers that he is not alone in making this cross over, and that a purely spiritual experience is not enough to satisfy anyone

So funny!

Cute movie!!!

Martian Child bye Menno Meyes

What's the nature of being a parent and of being a child? David is a widower grieving for two years. He writes science fiction and was considered weird as a boy. He meets Dennis, a foster child who claims to be on a mission from Mars, stays in a large box all day, fears sunlight, and wears a belt of flashlight batteries so he won't float away. David takes the six-year-old home on a trial. His sister and his wife's best friend offer support, but the guys are basically alone to figure this out. Dennis takes things, is expelled, and is coached by David in being normal. Will the court approve the adoption, and will Dennis stay? Can a man become a father and a child become a son?

Have a wonderful day!!
Go to Top of Page

Ananda

3115 Posts

Posted - May 21 2009 :  06:14:31 AM  Show Profile  Visit Ananda's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
thks for the recommendations Simon, i'm a big fan of Darren Arronosfky's movies as well and Pi is definitely the weirdest among them.

i watch it back in my teen years and the sight of someone doing some drilling into his head kept an impact.

and a wondeful day to you too!!
Go to Top of Page

stevenbhow

Japan
352 Posts

Posted - May 22 2009 :  05:00:43 AM  Show Profile  Visit stevenbhow's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Yogis of Tibet
http://video.google.com/videoplay?d...712987405885

This and others like it are free at google movies. Great stuff!
Go to Top of Page

Yonatan

Israel
849 Posts

Posted - May 22 2009 :  09:33:25 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Gonna watch the yogis of tibet video now, thanks for bringing this up.

I also give another vote for Groundhog Day (Awesome movie), and What Dreams May Come, with Robin Williams, it's a really beautiful movie..
Go to Top of Page

jillatay

USA
206 Posts

Posted - May 22 2009 :  1:58:36 PM  Show Profile  Visit jillatay's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
We just saw Henry Poole Was Here. It has some miracles in it, kinda quirky.

Also there is one worth watching though not obviously spiritual called Tuya's Marriage (subtitles) on Netflix instant watch. For those who don't know you can watch movies instantly on Netflix if you belong. Lots of choices. Helps to have a good computer though.
Go to Top of Page

Akasha

421 Posts

Posted - May 22 2009 :  11:19:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks ,this looks good.
Go to Top of Page

LittleTurtle

USA
342 Posts

Posted - Feb 24 2012 :  8:01:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I watched Into Great Silence a few days back and it blissed me out for several hours. As if the witness came up strongly just by watching. Beautiful visuals and one gets a very strong sense of true monastic life. It's available streaming on NetFlix here in USA. I recommend it.
Go to Top of Page

Will Power

Spain
415 Posts

Posted - Mar 29 2012 :  07:37:37 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
"Star wars", specially Star Wars 3, 4 and 5 (5 being my favorite, when Yoda explains the Force). The jedais are the yoguis of the galaxy :-)
"9 revelations" about how to discover the spiritual reality.
"Nosso Lar" (Our Home) Very good film about a doctor who dies and how he gets cured in the astral world and learns how to heal people.
Go to Top of Page

AumNaturel

Canada
687 Posts

Posted - Mar 29 2012 :  2:15:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
eXistenZ forces the gamer to confront the nature of personality, identity and reality.
Glad seeing Fight Club and Waking Life already mentioned.
Go to Top of Page

maheswari

Lebanon
2516 Posts

Posted - Mar 29 2012 :  4:10:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Jesus of Nazareth by Franco Zeffirelli...like to watch it every easter since i was a kid....Robert Powell is ethereal...and those blue eyes beautiful and expressive
Go to Top of Page

shareayurveda

USA
2 Posts

Posted - Apr 19 2012 :  10:56:05 PM  Show Profile  Visit shareayurveda's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
For Ayurveda newbies who are looking for good documentary on Ayurveda I have posted 4 videos, check it out and let me know.

http://www.shareayurveda.com/entrie...ncient-India
Go to Top of Page

Will Power

Spain
415 Posts

Posted - Apr 20 2012 :  09:22:03 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
"Naruto" is a manga/anime about a young and lonely ninja that trains hard and never gives up. He has to mix the correct amount of his energies /they call them chakra) to perform ninjutsu. In part 2 ("Naruto shippuuden" in the anime, and after chapter 245 in the manga), there is more focus on how he wants to end the chain of hatred of the ninja world.
Examples:
http://www.mangareader.net/93-414-1...ter-409.html
http://www.mangareader.net/93-414-1...ter-409.html

Edited by - Will Power on Apr 20 2012 09:23:49 AM
Go to Top of Page

ak33

Canada
229 Posts

Posted - Mar 30 2013 :  1:59:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Sorry to bump this thread, but I've gotten a lot out of this thread and thought I thought put some back.

1. Forrest Gump - highly reccomended. Mindfulness is a theme throughout the film. Makes you realize what the important things are as opposed to worldly illusions. Tom Hanks is excellent.

2. Castaway - Spirituality isn't a main theme I'd have to say. But if you're into the living alone nature with bare essentials, this is the movie for you. Again, Tom Hanks is excellent.

3. The Fountain - People have said its confusing, but I personally found it quite straightforward. Makes you think and feel differently about death, as if it is the only path to true immortality. Extremely powerful movie, great colours and images used, great acting.
Go to Top of Page

insightstate

Romania
10 Posts

Posted - Dec 03 2014 :  03:43:22 AM  Show Profile  Visit insightstate's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi.
This is my list:
Zen
Samsara (2001)
The Shift
Ostrov
Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter… and Spring
Chico Xavier
The Mothers of Chico Xavier
You can watch on http://www.insightstate.com/category/movies/
Go to Top of Page

ak33

Canada
229 Posts

Posted - Dec 04 2014 :  10:00:32 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
If you guys haven't watched Interstellar, please do it NOW. It is one of the best sci-fi movies ever and really fuelled my bhakti. Makes you think about the concept of time and space.
Go to Top of Page

maheswari

Lebanon
2516 Posts

Posted - Dec 13 2014 :  03:59:49 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
since few years and maybe due to yoga? i lost interest in going to movies.But yesterday i was eating and turned on the TV and Black Swan cought my attention.
Black Swan was done in 2010 staring Natalie Portman and Vincent Cassel.The story is about a ballet dancer , she is amazing in doing the white swan part but sucks in doing the black swan part
i will leave it to you to check the movie events .What i would like to share that this movie reminded me of:
1. jnana yoga: only when we are ready to see our true nature as it is (the black swan) , without any repressing, totally seeing our dark side, our dark thoughts, our sexuality,our lies, our hallucinations,seeing ourselves as we really are, being genuine with ourselves...only then the process of yoga is completed.
Seeing only the white swan, the model crafted by society, education, religion, family, should and should not, clinging to a "spiritual identity" ...all of it is not enough...it is just another lie..
We need to acknowledge the totality of our being, only then our true nature will shine.In the movie the true nature of the ballet dancer became a combination from the white and black swan, only then she was alive and could feel life and flow with it
2. bhakti yoga: Vincet Cassel tells Natalie Portaman: it is not enough to have the good technique.You should surrender to the feeling, to the dance.You should let yourself go and merge in the present moment cause the dance only happens in the present moment.

3.kundalini biology: we have both energies (male and female in us-black swan and white swan).We dont need anyhting extrenal. Only when we accept and balance both energies in us , only then enlightenment will happen.We need Shiva and Shakti, the marriage of silence and ecstasy.

furhtermore, i usually go walk by the sea only when it is sunny.Last night, before watching the movie, i felt the urge to go walk by the sea.Yesterday was rainny. So i parked next to the sea, and i was thinking: am i mad? it is raining and dark, what am i doing here?
Then i saw a guy doing sports and running like an arrow with quick movements with his hands , it was a sign , go out of your car and walk by the dark sea.
Here i was walking with my umbrella, the dark sea water and the dark sky.So silent despite the waves,so majestic. A bit scary too, can you imagine yourself swimming in this vast darkness?
It felt like discovering something new that was always there, the dark side of the sea,which is like discovering the dark side of me and the whole spiritual journey

Edited by - maheswari on Dec 13 2014 04:07:45 AM
Go to Top of Page

Dogboy

USA
2201 Posts

Posted - Dec 13 2014 :  07:04:43 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Yoga just keeps on giving !
Go to Top of Page

Anima

484 Posts

Posted - Dec 13 2014 :  8:56:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Dear maheshwari,
Thank you. It is said that Amma herself danced by the ocean in fits of her divine mood as a girl. May I add to your beautiful sharing?

I agree with you about jnana yoga, bhakti yoga, and "Black Swan." You've done a great job bringing the essence of the film to life, mingling it with the finer enlightenment milestones of your own, and giving it back to us.

Some Westerners take the critical angle that "Black Swan" basically shows a descent of the swan into madness, defeat, and death. The sacred Eastern experience of tantra and Siva-__-Sakti union, in short, of yoga and satchidananda, allows us to see the story in another light. The narrative can thus be seen as incomplete, a fragment or granule portraying mere human life not as a tragically inadequate lurching of desires, but as our destined rebellion from the purity of full union and immortality. That latter view is rather Brahmanic, so forgive me my bias.
quote:
Originally posted by maheswari
...We need Shiva and Shakti, the marriage of silence and ecstasy...

...Here i was walking with my umbrella, the dark sea water and the dark sky. So silent despite the waves,so majestic. A bit scary too, can you imagine yourself swimming in this vast darkness?...

Why yes, I can.

My trip had been recklessly executed on a whim, winding my bashed up, spray painted hatchback car through a maze of unimportant dirt roads for most of the day. It was November on the Atlantic coast, and I had arrived at the campsite in the late afternoon. There was a charge in the colored air as the sun lowered itself into evening. I parked my car and was wandering toward the ocean, which I had not touched since I was a small child, when I had picked up shells with my parents and older brothers. I heard the distinct murmur of moving water as I approached a low fence that blocked my path. I hurled myself over it, ripping my new leather jacket, and waded erratically through a tangle of branches. There was the sandy beach, like a thread between Earth and heaven, stretched out before the pristine magnificence of the Atlantic ocean, dancing with a million diamonds on her blue, fluid skin.

I set up my camp. After failing to read the first chapter of Ender’s Game, I lay in my tent toward midnight, but there was an undeniable restlessness swelling up in my stomach. His game was all too familiar: anger, pain, and strategy mashed into a narrative of chauvinistic grandiosity. A whisper was caressing the evening air. I could feel her in my blood, in my breath, and in my very soul. I had to go back to her.

This time, I walked around the fence to the clearing in the brush, which gave way to the beach. There were no cities for miles, and the stars beamed like little moons in the pitch black sky, like pearls at the bottom of an unfathomable sea of darkness. Fear began to tingle in my chest as I hesitated to step onto the loose sands. The ocean had always scared me because of her lawless might and seduction. Cruel beasts, monsters, and titans stalked her depths while anemones burgeoned wild and bulbous; in her would any drown, for she was madness, but she had always seemed so distant.

But now I was before her, immediate, and she was an unceasing roar of power and mystery, endless, able to swallow me into oblivion. I couldn’t see where the ground ended and the waters began, but I stepped out and walked precariously across the shoreline. As I went on, the tingle of fright heated into a blazing, terrified awe. Oh, to feel her all around me, a wanderer with no sight! Even the stars paled against the enormity of her hidden energies as I floated by the frothy tide and gentle waves.

I sat down on the beach, still blind to anything but the stars beaming out from that plane of blackness. My hand moved from my coat pocket. The .357 was on my lap. It gleamed like a steel idol, polished and fuzzy in the eerie starlight. There was no plan. There were no questions. There were no thoughts. I was there, and so was the gun. It was neither liberation nor defeat: It simply was. Its image burned forever into my memory as I sat on the shore of God’s mercy.

Edited by - Anima on Dec 14 2014 1:17:51 PM
Go to Top of Page

ak33

Canada
229 Posts

Posted - Dec 14 2014 :  2:04:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
You write really well man
Go to Top of Page

Anima

484 Posts

Posted - Dec 14 2014 :  2:21:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks ak33! Gonna try to check out "Interstellar."

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000