Movies Anyone?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

NagoyaSea

424 Posts

Posted - Dec 02 2007 :  1:26:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Yesterday, my daughter and I watched a new film, “August Rush”. Remarkable film.

There are scenes in this film where a child, one of the characters, hears and plays music and his joy and oneness with the music remind you of the glimpses of pure bliss you experience after having done AYP meditation practices for some time. He feels music pervading his being as vibrational waves permeating all life from the universe and through the universe.

Everything around him, the sounds of everyday life were all music and it was all joyful, no matter how mundane the scene...

As I looked on the pure joy of creation, the joy of being, in this child’s face I kept thinking, yes, this reminds me of the bliss, the oneness we can experience through our practices.

Light and Love,

Kathy
Go to Top of Page

Steve

277 Posts

Posted - Dec 02 2007 :  2:20:49 PM  Show Profile  Visit Steve's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Kathy,

I so agree and second your review. 'August Rush' was an incredibly beautiful movie, one of pure inspiration. The kind of movie I could see again and again and never become tired of ... my favorite in a long time ... great for all ages young and old. When my fiance and I left the theater and we stayed to the very last credit not wanting to leave ... we were both tingling actually visually vibrating all over from inside out ... our hearts were so full and happy ... it was a true delight to see and experience.

Steve ...

Edited by - Steve on Dec 02 2007 4:38:47 PM
Go to Top of Page

yogani

USA
5196 Posts

Posted - Dec 23 2007 :  12:04:00 AM  Show Profile  Visit yogani's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi All:

Harvey, (1950), with Jimmy Stewart (one of his personal favorites)

The story of a man who has a friend named Harvey, who is an invisible 6 foot 4 inch rabbit.

A clever and humorous story about sanity/insanity and (ultimately) spirituality.

It starts out slow and keeps getting better and better, with surprises along the way. Wonderful ending.

All the best!

The guru is in you.
Go to Top of Page

emc

2072 Posts

Posted - Aug 10 2008 :  3:12:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Revolver (2005), Luc Besson and Guy Ritchie

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0365686/

A fascinating film. A bit confusing, but hey... that's sort of the point! I could recognize myself extremely well in the mind battles... and the lovely sceen where the main character Jake watches his body and hears his voice say things against his "will", that is, what his mind would NEVER EVER imagine would be possible he uttered!

Nice film. Should probably be seen a couple of times before all points are taken...

Go to Top of Page

yogani

USA
5196 Posts

Posted - Oct 29 2008 :  4:25:09 PM  Show Profile  Visit yogani's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Yogis of Tibet: A Film for Posterity
(Available on Netflix)

A rare up-close look at the few remaining Tibetan ascetic yogis and their practices, made possible by 50 years of Chinese oppression in Tibet. I would have felt better if it came to us by another route, but am thankful for the valuable perspectives all the same. You will see bits and pieces of AYP sprinkled through here, plus other elements of practice that have been discussed in these forums. Pretty illuminating stuff.

The guru is in you.

PS: Some clips from this film can also be found on YouTube.

Go to Top of Page

YogaIsLife

641 Posts

Posted - Nov 02 2008 :  12:42:16 PM  Show Profile  Visit YogaIsLife's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by yogani

Hi All:

DVD -- The Last Mimzy -- A fun mainstream kids/family fantasy/sci fi adventure with sri yantra/mandala (really!), worm-hole time travel, nano-technology, human DNA key, Alice in Wonderland connection, miracles galore, and saving the planet (of course).

Something for almost everyone ... I especially liked the introduction of Sri Yantra (see AYP illustrations) into the mainstream, and not a bad job of it either. It will lead to broader awareness of spiritual practices.

The guru is in you.

I saw this one yesterday and enjoyed it. Very interesting all the references to the mandalas, sri yantra, siddhis, yoga, etc.

I think I'll use this thread as a reference for list of movies to see next!
Go to Top of Page

apachechief

Ireland
65 Posts

Posted - Nov 17 2008 :  06:37:30 AM  Show Profile  Visit apachechief's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Any movie that places joy or beauty into your heart is spiritually oriented, maybe not by the conscious intention of those people making it but certainly by their nature. I would add:
Paris, Texas
Ordinary People
The Orphanage
Crouching Tiger, hidden Dragon
Go to Top of Page

stevenbhow

Japan
352 Posts

Posted - Nov 18 2008 :  09:56:12 AM  Show Profile  Visit stevenbhow's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Probably too late for this thread as well, but I really enjoyed Kun Dun.
Go to Top of Page

stevenbhow

Japan
352 Posts

Posted - Nov 18 2008 :  09:59:59 AM  Show Profile  Visit stevenbhow's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Oh yeah, and the entire Star Wars series! SciFi meets Zen! Also, Blade Runner asked some important questions about what it means to be human.
Go to Top of Page

brother neil

USA
752 Posts

Posted - Nov 22 2008 :  09:54:43 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Hunter

Polar Express- http://polarexpressmovie.warnerbros.com/

Spirited Away- http://www.spiritedaway.com.au/

Fearless- http://fearlessthemovie.com/

i wrote down titles from this thread and last night i watched fearless, good movie. THanks for the recomendation
we are one, in the same
brother neil
Go to Top of Page

RO0o

Argentina
40 Posts

Posted - Jan 22 2009 :  06:20:50 AM  Show Profile  Visit RO0o's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Short Cut to Nirvana: Kumbh Mela
http://www.melafilms.com
Go to Top of Page

Yogajan

USA
49 Posts

Posted - Feb 01 2009 :  3:03:29 PM  Show Profile  Visit Yogajan's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Henry Poole was here. Surprised me, an interesting little spiritual story with Luke Wilson as a cynical atheist.
Go to Top of Page

Etherfish

USA
3615 Posts

Posted - Feb 01 2009 :  11:46:12 PM  Show Profile  Visit Etherfish's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Firefly the series, culminating in Serenity the movie. Western meets sci-fi. Unforgettable characters, and a western simplistic way of looking at life is applied to complex space ships and interplanetary travel.
Made by Joss Whedon (Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Angel)
River Tam is played by Summer Glau (Terminator, Heroes), an innocent young girl made into the ultimate warrior by the alliance. She is normally somewhat withdrawn, psychic and crazy, but pulls through when the going gets tough.
the crew of the Serenity survives off of mostly illegal activity while still retaining their morals.
It's a cult classic.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0303461/
Go to Top of Page

jillatay

USA
206 Posts

Posted - Feb 02 2009 :  01:52:30 AM  Show Profile  Visit jillatay's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
The Warrior is a wonderful film with a mystical theme. It is a foreign film set in the Himalayas. A man is a thug for a war lord and has a vision that changes his life. Must see.

Also Hello Dharma, a Korean comedy about monks :)

Love,
Jill

Edited by - jillatay on Feb 02 2009 01:53:54 AM
Go to Top of Page

thibaud05

France
86 Posts

Posted - Feb 07 2009 :  5:39:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Three great movies from Alexandro Jodorowsky : "El Topo", "Holy Mountain" and "Santa Sangre". Not at all recommended for the faint at heart though. Holds wisdom and grace, and in these aspects goes way beyond the few David Lynch' movies I've seen IMO.
Go to Top of Page

CarsonZi

Canada
3189 Posts

Posted - Feb 07 2009 :  11:32:13 PM  Show Profile  Visit CarsonZi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Took my wife out to see a movie tonight and saw "Seven Pounds" with Will Smith....not much of a Will Smith fan, but DAMN this was an awesome movie. Heartwrenching as any movie I have seen yet. Deals with the ultimate sacrifice. I highly recommend seeing this movie if you can dig "sad yet inspirational" movies. Still a little torn up inside 'cause it was that good. Maybe you guys won't think so, but I loved it. Hope this won't ruin my reputation. hahahaha!

Love,
Carson
Go to Top of Page

NagoyaSea

424 Posts

Posted - Feb 08 2009 :  12:43:35 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Carson, that was a good film. The clue from the Shakespeare play had me concerned but I enjoyed the movie...

Kathy
Go to Top of Page

emc

2072 Posts

Posted - Feb 08 2009 :  04:23:33 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Good to get it confirmed, Carson and Kathy. I got the shivers when I just read the add and felt "I have to see this one". It's on my list!

Another great movie is Peaceful Warrior with Nick Nolte that Yogani mentioned a while back. Just saw it the other day! Made me happy in the way it tries to show how the Now can be experienced (the slow motion or super clarity feelings).

And I agree with August Rush! Most lovely film ever.

Edited by - emc on Feb 08 2009 05:56:16 AM
Go to Top of Page

Yogajan

USA
49 Posts

Posted - Mar 23 2009 :  9:13:51 PM  Show Profile  Visit Yogajan's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Watched Enlightenment Guaranteed, a beautiful German movie about two brothers who go to a Japanese monastery.
Go to Top of Page

Anthem

1608 Posts

Posted - Mar 25 2009 :  09:25:32 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
The movie "Don't look down" is an amazing look into the world of real tantra. It is presented in a way similar to AYP and doesn't shy away from the spiritual components of the practice. The practices are presented clearly within the context of the story which takes place in Spain between a couple who meet "accidentally".

It is filmed in Spanish with English subtitles and is available in DVD. It does contain a lot of graphic nudity.
Go to Top of Page

Sparkle

Ireland
1457 Posts

Posted - Mar 25 2009 :  11:38:57 AM  Show Profile  Visit Sparkle's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Andrew
There are a few "Don't Look Down" movies. see
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/search/r...ndex=blended

Can you say which one
Go to Top of Page

Anthem

1608 Posts

Posted - Mar 25 2009 :  11:01:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Louis,

Thanks for pointing that out, I wouldn't have known there were more than one. It is the "Don't Look Down" with Antonella Costa, and Leandro Stivelman found here:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Dont-Look-D...36373&sr=8-3

Hope this helps
Go to Top of Page

nandhi

USA
362 Posts

Posted - Mar 28 2009 :  01:38:36 AM  Show Profile  Visit nandhi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
aum

the movies that felt deep, connected to the journey and entertaining-
- powder
- simon birch
- australia

gratitude!
Go to Top of Page

emc

2072 Posts

Posted - Apr 07 2009 :  4:27:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
American Beauty... Have I saluted this film enough?

It opened my eyes for Divine Beauty, and since then... everytime I really forget myself and drown in beauty comparisons of different kinds leaving me in negativity... there's suddenly a plastic bag blowing around right in front of my eyes, as I'm passing by... it takes me back to remembering Real Beauty all the time. Those everyday miracles... of plastic bags in the wind...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UDXjnW3nIWg
Go to Top of Page

mufad

44 Posts

Posted - Apr 10 2009 :  1:21:45 PM  Show Profile  Visit mufad's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Friends,
Mentioned by emc before but me thinks this deserves another vote,
"The Fountain"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NDp-F3Y97ZQ
They should make more movies like this one,
Om,
Mufad.

Edited by - mufad on Apr 10 2009 1:24:46 PM
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000