New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

Frank-in-SanDiego

USA
363 Posts

Posted - Aug 19 2005 :  3:59:14 PM  Show Profile  Visit Frank-in-SanDiego's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hari Om
~~~~~

Hello Yunjana(s) ( or those deeply engaged in yogic pursuits)
Can any one recommend any movies to rent/see/purchase that
engages in the subject matter of AYP or spiritual orientation?

MOvies are far and few between, yet once and a while something comes out that is worth seeing.

I have just a few:
THe Little Buddha - with Keneu Reeves was excellent.
The Mahabrahata ( 3 tapes) by Peter Brooks - excellent,
Yet more fulfuilling once the epic has been read.
I hve rented some tapes on the Purana's from the local Indian Video
store. Good, but really less fulfilling as the "overacting" in them takes away from the story.

What the Bleep - was out at the movie houses and now on tape - worth viewing as it ties the spiritual and scientic discovry that is coming together in the Quantum Field.

Anyone care to recomend thier favorites or "must see's" ?

Regards,
OM shanti shanti shantye

Frank in SD

david_obsidian

USA
2602 Posts

Posted - Aug 19 2005 :  4:52:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Frank,

Spiritually-related Movies: two come to mind

. I Heart Huckabees
. Groundhog Day

These are spiritual in theme, but not in the 'religious' sense. In fact, the spirituality of 'I Heart Huckabees' has a lot of existentialism in it -- existentialism in the best sense though.

-David

quote:
Originally posted by Frank-in-SanDiego

Hari Om
~~~~~

Hello Yunjana(s) ( or those deeply engaged in yogic pursuits)
Can any one recommend any movies to rent/see/purchase that
engages in the subject matter of AYP or spiritual orientation?

Edited by - david_obsidian on Aug 19 2005 4:54:41 PM
Go to Top of Page

lucidinterval1

USA
193 Posts

Posted - Aug 19 2005 :  7:09:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Can't forget
The Matrix
The Wizard of Oz
Out on a Limb (Shirley Mclaine)
Go to Top of Page

quickstudy

USA
20 Posts

Posted - Aug 19 2005 :  11:29:51 PM  Show Profile  Visit quickstudy's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Brother Sun Sister Moon (story of St. Francis of Assisi)
Jonathan Livingston Seagull
The Razor's Edge
Pay It Forward
GodSpell
Phenomenon
Gandhi
It's a Wonderful Life
Forrest Gump
Yoga Unveiled (documentary on history of yoga)
Go to Top of Page

lucidinterval1

USA
193 Posts

Posted - Aug 22 2005 :  09:14:53 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
As a matter of coincidence, I stumbled upon this link in an e-mail that I received.
http://www.nandhi.com/SpiritualMovies.htm
Paul
Go to Top of Page

patelvipulk

18 Posts

Posted - Sep 17 2005 :  8:49:55 PM  Show Profile  Visit patelvipulk's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Has anyone seen the movie " what the bleep do we know"
It came out last year ( 20th Century fox) and is based on scientific spirituality. I loved it as a scientist and tow of my co-workers who watched it even bought it.. ( I rented it from Blockbuster).
One can also do google search to find out more about this movie...

Vipul..
Go to Top of Page

nandhi

USA
362 Posts

Posted - Sep 25 2005 :  12:51:23 AM  Show Profile  Visit nandhi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
aum
thank you divine friends, for mentioning the spiritual movie web page on www.nandhi.com
it was meant for all who just wish there could be a selected list of movies that uplift us.
will be grateful if anyone of you contribute further!
with folded hands! all the sacred fulfilling joy!

with folded hands!aum
Go to Top of Page

windarra

6 Posts

Posted - Sep 26 2005 :  4:41:11 PM  Show Profile  Visit windarra's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Vipul,

I very much enjoyed 'What the Bleep' and would recomend it.
'Indigo' was also pretty good.
Go to Top of Page

Nicole

USA
46 Posts

Posted - Jan 25 2006 :  12:06:36 PM  Show Profile  Visit Nicole's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I enjoyed "What the Bleep do we know?" too. The sequel just came out, "Down the Rabbit Hole". Also if you go to the "Bleep" website you can register to receive email about movies, events etc.
http://www.whatthebleep.com
Go to Top of Page

bewell

1275 Posts

Posted - Apr 14 2006 :  10:27:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Enjoyed the brilliant combination of mysticism and family dysfunction in Bee Season, first the book and now the movie.

Edited by - bewell on Apr 14 2006 11:18:36 PM
Go to Top of Page

bewell

1275 Posts

Posted - Jun 21 2006 :  7:48:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I laughed and laughed with the climax of this enlightening asian romance and its surprising plot twists.

http://www.travellersandmagicians.com/

Edited by - bewell on Jun 23 2006 8:10:34 PM
Go to Top of Page

Hunter

USA
252 Posts

Posted - Dec 22 2006 :  2:47:13 PM  Show Profile  Visit Hunter's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Polar Express- http://polarexpressmovie.warnerbros.com/

Spirited Away- http://www.spiritedaway.com.au/

Fearless- http://fearlessthemovie.com/

Edited by - Hunter on Dec 22 2006 3:17:08 PM
Go to Top of Page

Hunter

USA
252 Posts

Posted - Dec 26 2006 :  12:33:13 AM  Show Profile  Visit Hunter's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Any movie by Zhang Yimou:

Red Sorghum

Codename Cougar

Ju Dou

Raise the Red Lantern

The Story of Qiu Ju

To Live

Shanghai Triad

Keep Cool, The Road Home, and Not One Less

Happy Times

Hero

House of Flying Daggers

Riding Alone for Thousands of Miles

Curse of the Golden Flower(new)

I have only seen a few movies on the list but so far they are an amazing integration of powerful and melodic musical scores, breathtaking scenery/landscapes, great character development and storyline, only the best actors/actresses, drama, human emotion, and always an underlying message/lesson about life(spirituality).

This director is able to reveal the beauty, for the viewer, that exists in everything and in many different ways. There are no assumptions or set ideals. Beauty of a tyrant, a victim, an assassin, water, flowers, color, love, suicide, death, life, etc, etc, etc, you know what I mean.

To me these stories are all embracing and reject nothing that exists in this creation.
Go to Top of Page

yogani

USA
5195 Posts

Posted - Jan 03 2007 :  11:56:31 AM  Show Profile  Visit yogani's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Movie: East Of Eden -- (based on John Steinbeck's novel) -- James Dean's first Hollywood picture, 1955. A useful study on good and evil, and how the labels can mask the opposite. Moral of the story -- The heart and free choice reveal a higher path than rules of conduct and labels.
Go to Top of Page

Hunter

USA
252 Posts

Posted - Feb 15 2007 :  6:15:56 PM  Show Profile  Visit Hunter's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Great movies to watch, both starring John Travolta: Phenomenon and Michael.
Go to Top of Page

Dedroidify

22 Posts

Posted - Mar 04 2007 :  4:26:48 PM  Show Profile  Visit Dedroidify's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Some great movies in this thread but I have quite a few to add

K-Pax
Mind Game (asian anime, the title is on the money, must see)
Richard Linklater's Waking Life, a real different movie about lucid dreaming, philosophy, philip k. dick, etc.
Jacob's Ladder, with Tim Robbins in a glum afterlife
What dreams may come, with Robin Williams in a beautiful afterlife (with challenges)
Alice in Wonderland
The Wizard of Oz (watch it online with the Pink Floyd Dark Side of the Moon album music to it, creepy alignment!)
Pan's Labyrinth
American Beauty
The 13th Floor
Big Fish
Brazil
Dune Trilogy (2000 version) and Children of Dune
The Secret
Finding Neverland
Tao of Steve

I love I heart Huckabees and Spirited Away too.

Edited by - Dedroidify on Mar 04 2007 5:01:00 PM
Go to Top of Page

thibaud05

France
86 Posts

Posted - Jun 04 2007 :  11:07:12 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Being a big Tarkovski fan, I recommend all his movies and especially : Stalker, Mirror, and Solaris.
IMO they are definitely worth watching...many times.

Go to Top of Page

clk1710

92 Posts

Posted - Jun 28 2007 :  11:46:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
i just watched Evan Almighty (the follow up to Bruce Almighty) ...it was a cute and funny movie with a nice spiritual message... i recommend it
Go to Top of Page

gray

United Kingdom
28 Posts

Posted - Jun 29 2007 :  05:10:29 AM  Show Profile  Visit gray's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I purchased Zen Noir at the recommendation of Kirtanman.

Brilliant!
Go to Top of Page

yogani

USA
5195 Posts

Posted - Jun 29 2007 :  09:19:46 AM  Show Profile  Visit yogani's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi All:

"Peaceful Warrior" is out on DVD now. They did a pretty good job with it. 25 years from book to movie.

The focus is on personal spiritual choices in relation to athletics (gymnastics), and day-to-day living.

http://www.amazon.com/Peaceful-Warr...22767&sr=1-1
http://www.blockbuster.com/catalog/...tails/278546

The guru is in you.
Go to Top of Page

Kyman

530 Posts

Posted - Jun 29 2007 :  11:16:07 AM  Show Profile  Visit Kyman's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0426578/

Sophie Scholl is one of the most moving movies I think I have ever seen. There is absolutely no violence in it. Just a fantastic story with deeply climactic ending.

I recommend this movie to everyone here.

Edited by - Kyman on Jun 29 2007 11:26:25 AM
Go to Top of Page

salvation

19 Posts

Posted - Aug 06 2007 :  07:18:05 AM  Show Profile  Visit salvation's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I found "Seven years in Tibet"--starring Brad Pitt , a good movie to watch
Go to Top of Page

yogani

USA
5195 Posts

Posted - Aug 15 2007 :  3:46:29 PM  Show Profile  Visit yogani's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi All:

DVD -- The Last Mimzy -- A fun mainstream kids/family fantasy/sci fi adventure with sri yantra/mandala (really!), worm-hole time travel, nano-technology, human DNA key, Alice in Wonderland connection, miracles galore, and saving the planet (of course).

Something for almost everyone ... I especially liked the introduction of Sri Yantra (see AYP illustrations) into the mainstream, and not a bad job of it either. It will lead to broader awareness of spiritual practices.

The guru is in you.
Go to Top of Page

cosmic_troll

USA
229 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2007 :  01:35:54 AM  Show Profile  Visit cosmic_troll's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Fight Club - very zen
Donnie Darko - deals with enlightenment and god-realization (IMHO)
Vanilla Sky - great movie if you're interested in lucid dreams and/or gnostic christianity
Total Recall - or really just about any movie that started as a Philip K. Dick novel. he deals with reality and questioning what is real in nearly all his books (and consequently, movie adaptations)
A Walk to Remember - sweeet movie about love and personal transformation
Forrest Gump - movie about unswerving devotion (bhakti)
Best of the Best - touching martial arts movie about forgiveness
Go to Top of Page

emc

2072 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2007 :  06:47:24 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
The Fountain... excellent! On the theme Death of Ego.

Go to Top of Page

emc

2072 Posts

Posted - Oct 06 2007 :  7:44:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Stardust by Matthew Vaughn...

Be the star that you are! Lovely film with many truths in it and fantastic insights in cosmology.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000