AYP Home | Main Lessons | Tantra Lessons | AYP Plus | Retreats | AYP Books
Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Forum FAQ | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 AYPsite.org Forum
 Jnana Yoga/Self-Inquiry - Advaita (Non-Duality)
 Looking at pain
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Guy_51

USA
170 Posts

Posted - Jun 25 2008 :  10:08:28 PM  Show Profile  Visit Guy_51's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Yesterday I got hit by a golf ball. Not just sorta hit, I mean the worst case senario hit. The ball was hit 230 yards and came down on the fly in my lower back about 3 or 4 inch's above my left kidney and between my ribs. It knocked me halfway out of the golf cart. It felt as though I was shot or that someone came up behind me and unexpectantly hit me as hard as they could with their fist in my lower back. Today, 26 hours later I am in pain. Last night I could not sleep more than an hour or two because of the pain.

The good news is I'm ok. It didn't hit my head (I wouldn't be able to type this if it had) It didn't hit my kidney or break a rib. I think I'll be fine in a few days.

So here are my inquiries.
How or why did I attract that golf ball into my body?
Could it have been prevented?
What good can come from it?
Was I asleep? Was I naieve? After all I saw the ball coming, but I turned my back to it with the thought that it was such a longshot to hit me. Overconfidence? Maybe just odds and percentages. I spend alot of time on the golf course.

I hope I learn from all this, sooner than later so I don't have to repeat this ever again.

Any suggestions for natural relief from the pain?

Guy

NagoyaSea

424 Posts

Posted - Jun 26 2008 :  12:47:45 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Dear Guy,

I don't have the answers to your questions. It seems that you couldn't have really attracted the strike--doesn't it just seem like a random wrong place, wrong time? Perhaps the thing is not to turn your back if you see something flying.... I'm just glad you're okay and that it didn't strike your head, temple, eye, kidneys...etc.

Heal quickly....

light and love,

Kathy
Go to Top of Page

emc

2072 Posts

Posted - Jun 27 2008 :  01:18:31 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
On the contrary, I see it as a direct response from life if you saw the ball coming - then a lot of fears probably awoke inside (I DON'T want to be hit) - and the universe don't here the DON'Ts so it manifested your thoughts immediately.

You ask: Any suggestions for natural relief from the pain?

Well, you have already answered it yourself. Take a look at your heading of this topic. That's your answer! Take a 100% full attentive look at your pain. Go into it deeply and consciously and meditate on it. See what happens!

All the best,
emc
Go to Top of Page

Chiron

Russia
397 Posts

Posted - Jun 27 2008 :  02:54:09 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
My (limited) undestanding of the law of karma is that everything that happens to us is a manifestation of it. Not a single thing that we experience is independent. If we have made other beings happy in the past (not only this life) then now we may experience happiness. If we have caused pain to others then now we may experience pain. If we did not cause happiness or pain then we may not be experiencing happiness or pain.

So:
How or why did I attract that golf ball into my body?
Going by the theory above, your soul must have contained some characterists which attracted circumstances which resulted in you experiencing pain.

Could it have been prevented?
If we don't cause pain to others then we won't experience pain, so yes.

What good can come from it?
The good thing about it is that some of your karmic debt has been paid off, you soul is a little brighter and your nadis are a little clearer, bringing you closer to your natural state of eternal happiness. So, really, it was a miraculous golf ball, ;)

The even better news is that at some point we get to manipulate our karma at will (because the true self is not a slave to anything). But do we have such beings on this forum? Until then we must cherish every golf ball that hits us hahaha. But as usual, easier said than done!

Edited by - Chiron on Jun 27 2008 02:58:34 AM
Go to Top of Page

Divineis

Canada
420 Posts

Posted - Jun 27 2008 :  03:10:48 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
haha yeah, emc said it, "looking at pain" :). I've had some interesting results doing this while sitting in meditation. They were all random minor body aches though.

I do the same in everyday life too, mindfulness of pain when I stub my toe or anything like that. Of course I'm still human... the "ouch" is ever present haha.
Go to Top of Page

Divineis

Canada
420 Posts

Posted - Jun 27 2008 :  03:18:01 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
oh man, I wasn't gonna do it, but I have to, it's the balance of the universe keeping Chiron's post in eternal balance against the anti karma belief. This is all in good fun though, I don't mean the following too seriously :)

"So here are my inquiries.
How or why did I attract that golf ball into my body?"

Because you're a bad person.

"Could it have been prevented?"

Nope, see above.

"What good can come from it?"
You have a clean (or cleaner) slate now, and thus do not have to worry about being a bad person anymore, for you have suffered and paid the price.

yeah... karma will forever remain illusive to me. It just seems like ego construct. Funny they call enlightenment the end of karma :).
Go to Top of Page

Divineis

Canada
420 Posts

Posted - Jun 27 2008 :  03:21:48 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
oh hmm, one thing, I do believe in karma in a way, but on a wayyyy bigger scale. None of this "soul by soul" sort of thing. I mean, to me it's just plain and simple cause and effect, none of this "good vs bad" mumbo jumbo.
Go to Top of Page

Guy_51

USA
170 Posts

Posted - Jun 27 2008 :  08:09:48 AM  Show Profile  Visit Guy_51's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
x-rays show two cracked ribs. I'm taking codeine, which sure helps relieve the pain but is no good for meditation.

emc, I'm curious what your thoughts would be if I didn't see the ball coming?

Chiron, as a professional golfer I know I've hit a few miraculous golf shots in my career, but never thought in my wildest dreams I would be hit by a miraculous golf ball. Thanks for the insight.

Divineis, haha

Kathy, your blessings are my miracle.

Thanks to everybody for your feedback. Now I'm going to take another happy pill and "look at my physical pain"

Guy

Go to Top of Page

Manipura

USA
870 Posts

Posted - Jun 27 2008 :  09:34:37 AM  Show Profile  Visit Manipura's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Guy - So sorry to hear about your pain. I'm in agreement with emc on this one - it's no accident that this happened. The part that stands out the most to me is that you saw the ball coming, but turned your back to it. That's SO interesting. What else in your life do you turn your back to? Are you living in denial of some issues that you've turned your back to, and if so, do they carry the potential of causing you even greater pain? As cliche as it may sound, this may be a wake-up call from the universe to look at some bigger issues in your life. And last thing - I'm SO glad that it did relatively little harm...just the slightest movement on your part, or on the golfer's part, or on the wind's part, might have had a much different outcome. Pretty remarkable. Hope you recover quickly.
Go to Top of Page

kadak

79 Posts

Posted - Jun 27 2008 :  09:39:13 AM  Show Profile  Visit kadak's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Robertjames,
I think that what you did with this ball is exactly what everybody does when he sees something or someone : he is not interested and just turns his back.
I spend very much time looking at people. Nobody is interested by nobody. People are just walking alone on the earth.
The other day I was meditating in a stadium (sky gazing, stadiums are definitely the best places in town for it), there was a small girl alone, trying to attract attention, but nobody was seing her. Her Mom was just running around with friends and she left her there during 1 hour. A little further was a poor big guy (maybe 50 years) playing with a small red ball, there were football teams all around and nobody noticed him. Of course, nobody could say "hey come and play with us", he was in no condition for that, but someone could tell him "Hi Dude, how are you doing ?". Everybody just ignored him. We ignore everything, everyone. Cars are ignoring each other the same way, that's really a miracle there are so few accidents. Well, somedy gets killed sometime, but who cares ?
If you really care, the world won't hit you in the back to remind you of its existence.
As for the pain, if you manage to be grateful to the world which allows you to exist, you will probably feel better. Love and gratefulness diminish pain.
I wish you the best.
EDIT : meg was writing her message at the same time, telling the same thing. Funny. Hi meg !

Edited by - kadak on Jun 27 2008 09:46:18 AM
Go to Top of Page

emc

2072 Posts

Posted - Jun 27 2008 :  09:45:24 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I'm having similar thoughts as meg. Nothing is a coincidence in this life. So even if you hadn't seen the ball coming, it would be a wake up signal for something in your life!

When I got my kidney attack described earlier in forum I found out that it had a very direct message for me!
(see http://www.aypsite.org/forum/topic....D=1593#12446
http://www.aypsite.org/forum/topic....page=2#24460)

I also had this chance to really look closely at pain... very interesting!

I am also very, very happy it landed on your ribs and not on your head!
Go to Top of Page

Sparkle

Ireland
1457 Posts

Posted - Jun 27 2008 :  11:41:27 AM  Show Profile  Visit Sparkle's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Guy
Sorry to hear of your encounter with the golf ball.

I wonder about all this karmic analysis. I think all the messages that have been spoken about could proably apply to us all in one way or another.
I haven't had much physical pain in my life, thankfully, but when I did have some I meditated on the pain and breathed into it. The pain had a way of focussing the meditation in a very clear way that brought me much deeper than normal.

When we see people who have suffered a lot of pain, or who are currently suffering, and see them being an inspiration to the rest of us the way they accept it and live in joy and gratitude. I get a better message from this than all the karmic analysing.

If these people were to lie down and start all the whys of cause and effect they would probably get severly depressed and end up on anti-depressents as well as pain killers.

That's just another way of looking at it.
Hope your better soon
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000