AYPsite.org Forum
 Kundalini - AYP Practice-Related
 kundalini rash?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Neptune

99 Posts

Posted - Jun 09 2008 :  2:23:07 PM  Show Profile  Visit Neptune's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
I have a rash that looks like poison oak which is itchy rash with little blisters here and there on my arms wrists and neck as well as pubic area. Could this be kundalini rash? Is kundalini rash similar to the rash of poison oak or poison ivy? It is very itchy and easy to top off the areas with scratching. I would swear it looks like poison oak I have had in the past, but I don't remember where I could have had contact with poison oak.

Scott

USA
969 Posts

Posted - Jun 09 2008 :  4:55:31 PM  Show Profile  Visit Scott's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Regardless of what it is, Aveeno calamine anti-itch cream is the best I've ever used for itchy rashy skin! http://www.aveeno.com/productDetail.do?prodid=4316 Works wonders. Also, give the affected areas some exposure to sunlight everyday. Keep dry. Wash all of your clothes really well, and if possible change your sheets every night.

Good luck!
Go to Top of Page

Neptune

99 Posts

Posted - Jun 09 2008 :  5:19:28 PM  Show Profile  Visit Neptune's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
But is this kundalini rash?
Go to Top of Page

yogani

USA
5195 Posts

Posted - Jun 09 2008 :  5:37:55 PM  Show Profile  Visit yogani's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Neptune

But is this kundalini rash?

Hi Neptune, and welcome!

It would seem so, unless you have been tramping through the underbrush recently.

Check this topic for a pretty thorough discussion on kundalini rash, and some measures to consider: http://www.aypsite.org/forum/topic....OPIC_ID=3551.

If you do a forum search on "kundalini rash," you will find quite a lot of information on it here. It is not uncommon when too much inner energy is flowing or if there is an imbalance, and there are a variety of ways to deal with it, beginning with self-pacing of our practices. See lesson 69 for more measures.

If you are not engaged in spiritual practices and do not consider yourself to be experiencing an "awakening" of some kind, then it may be something else. In that case, if it persists, then consider taking a medical path.

All the best!

The guru is in you.

PS: Also check this kundalini FAQ.

Go to Top of Page

Neptune

99 Posts

Posted - Jun 09 2008 :  6:03:52 PM  Show Profile  Visit Neptune's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the links on this topic. I have been perhaps doing too much of the practices and am seeing a lot of development of kundalini and so judging from what is said in the links given, I am going to assume I have kundalini rash and back off some. Less chin pumps and hold down the spinal breathing. I was going as long as I could experience the loop of up and down flow, which in my case was about 30 minutes per sitting. It is interesting that a person could actually get clusters of itchy blisters on the arms neck and pubic area. thanks
Go to Top of Page

yogani

USA
5195 Posts

Posted - Jun 09 2008 :  6:13:09 PM  Show Profile  Visit yogani's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Neptune:

Yes, sounds like a self-pacing issue.

In the Secrets of Wilder novel, there is an extreme case of kundalini rash covered. It is learning self-pacing (and grounding) the hard way.

The guru is in you.

Go to Top of Page

emc

2072 Posts

Posted - Jun 10 2008 :  01:00:59 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I know the itching pubic area alright... This winter I had to go out in the wet snow, sitting on a cold rock for at least 30 min to cool it down when it was burning! I woke up during the nights finding myself scratching until I blead... So... time to self-pace, dear! Wish you all the best! And congrats to a great awakening going on!
Go to Top of Page

atena

113 Posts

Posted - Jun 10 2008 :  09:16:29 AM  Show Profile  Visit atena's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I have also issue with rash. Stopped all practices more than a week ago, changed my diet to balance pitta (before this I didnt really have to watch what I ate).
This isnt easy... I love spicy food, especially with a lot of salt and chili :P

At both thighs I have red, itchy rashes about size of fist and at neck, right armpit,lower abdomen and groin area. Also itchy, dry spot at left index finger and right middle finger.

The spots at neck and armpit are getting better but the others havent changed very much, they're maybe less itchy but thats all.

Also had headaches and racing emotions but I think they're gone mostly.
I would like so much get back to practices, but not sure if its ok yet.
Frustrating... maybe I'll start tai chi and see if it helps.

Edited by - atena on Jun 10 2008 09:26:37 AM
Go to Top of Page

Scott

USA
969 Posts

Posted - Jun 10 2008 :  10:34:39 AM  Show Profile  Visit Scott's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
An itch is an itch, even if it's from kundalini. If itching is bugging you, then make it not itch by using medication. If the medication doesn't work, then you're special, but in a bad predicament.

By the way, I think horse riding stance in a qigong style would be most helpful to people with these kind of kundalini problems. Check out this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HjRtggmTrHY That video has great advice on the right technique. You should feel like you're pushing up and down at the same time with your whole body, be super relaxed, and do it for at least 5-10 minutes. After the practice you should be able to feel a downward flow of energy. It grounds and roots your energy. It's also a third eye stimulating practice! And at the same time, it refines your internal energies so they're easier to work with. Oh yeah, and remember to smile all the time. It brings energy down from the head.

Just a suggestion .
Go to Top of Page

Neptune

99 Posts

Posted - Jun 12 2008 :  02:50:07 AM  Show Profile  Visit Neptune's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Regarding the rash I had, it is drying up and going away. I think it was the dynamic chin pump that was the powerful practice causing it because I pretty much stopped doing that and the blisters and itching are going away. It does seem to get itchier late at night when the prana is most active.
What is the yogic origin of the dynamic chin pump? I find no mention of this rotating of the head practice in the book Hatha Yoga Pradipika. That just talks about the throat lock of Jalandhara bandha. It defines that as--the chin rests forward upon the sternum, arresting the flow of breath through the throat.
So where exactly does this rotating of the head practice originate? thanks.
Go to Top of Page

yogani

USA
5195 Posts

Posted - Jun 12 2008 :  09:54:32 AM  Show Profile  Visit yogani's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Neptune:

Great to hear things are clearing up.

AYP chin pump is a variation on "thokar," which comes from kriya yoga.

Keep in mind that practices do not have to be all or nothing. A few rotations of chin pump should not be excessive, but do wait until you have stabilized the current condition before resuming, and then it is suggested to go slow and self-pace.

All the best!

The guru is in you.

Go to Top of Page

atena

113 Posts

Posted - Aug 03 2008 :  08:04:02 AM  Show Profile  Visit atena's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
The rash issue is still bothering me.

I stopped doing pranayama about two months ago and I rarely practice
deep meditation(the only ayp pracitce I'm doing), because it makes my skin
itch more and spreads the rash. the big question is that a part of the
healing process or not?

I'm kinda in between situation here with two extremes, to practice
or not to practice deep meditation and other practices.
A difficult position to be in.

I've tried homeopathic remedies, stopped eating pork, still trying
homeopathic detoxification, a herbal skin cleanse product,calendula ointment and doing few rounds of ashtanga style sun salutations each day.

Nothing seems to work... The skin seems to be in a bit worse condition what it was about two months ago
Go to Top of Page

Etherfish

USA
3615 Posts

Posted - Aug 03 2008 :  08:29:37 AM  Show Profile  Visit Etherfish's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
You might try cutting out all animal products from your diet for a while. this will help most skin problems. You would have to avoid not only all meat, but also milk, eggs, butter. Anything that comes from an animal.
just a couple months would tell you if it's going to help, and it probably will.
Go to Top of Page

tadeas

Czech Republic
314 Posts

Posted - Aug 26 2008 :  1:37:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I made a few photos of something that could be kundalini rash... Anyone with some experience, please confirm my speculation :)

I have it on both sides of the spine and also on my face. There it looks sort of like acne, but I've never had a problem with it before.

Spine: http://img172.imageshack.us/img172/...ard01fz5.jpg
Face: http://img510.imageshack.us/img510/...ard02rt9.jpg

I've already tried to test if it's k-rash or not by reducing pranayama a lot for almost a week, with uncertain results :) but nothing medical really helps, so I want to hear what you think. When you self-pace, does the skin/rash react fast to that?
Go to Top of Page

yogani

USA
5195 Posts

Posted - Aug 26 2008 :  1:58:56 PM  Show Profile  Visit yogani's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Tadeas:

Like with poison ivy and other rashes, once the initial cause of a kundalini rash has been reduced or removed, it can take a few weeks or more for the rash to clear up, depending on the severity. There are exceptions, of course, like catching it early with self-pacing, but that is tricky, due to the delayed effects of overdoing in practices. That is why we should aim for moderation in our practices at all times, and balance them with plenty of activity in-between sittings.

Make sure to engage in grounding activities now, and review other kundalini measures here: http://www.aypsite.org/69.html

Also reduce excessive stress in the daily routine, if there is any, which can also be a factor.

If it persists, consider seeing a doctor, though if it is kundalini there will not be much a doctor can do beyond treating symptoms.

This too shall pass. Wishing you speedy stabilization.

The guru is in you.

Go to Top of Page

tadeas

Czech Republic
314 Posts

Posted - Aug 26 2008 :  2:02:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Yogani.
Go to Top of Page

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - Aug 27 2008 :  08:19:19 AM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Tadeas,
It could be a result of pitta overload.
Try and avoid eating heating foods for a bit.
Look up the FAQ Ayurveda diet - for balancing and Yogani's Ayurveda Diet Guidelines

There have been a few discussion at the forum on this before. Here is one: Skin Issues .. help?
Do a search on pitta to find some more.
Hope these help.

Go to Top of Page

tadeas

Czech Republic
314 Posts

Posted - Sep 21 2008 :  11:46:55 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the advice. It has now gotten much better after I finally stopped doing all of the many kumbhakas I did + followed the pitta pacifying diet.

It is also pretty interesting that the rash is/was symmetrical on both sides of the body/face.
Go to Top of Page

Jana

13 Posts

Posted - Dec 02 2008 :  6:07:35 PM  Show Profile  Visit Jana's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Skin Inflammation—Mix caster oil and neem oil with tea tree oil and rub this into your skin this will reduce histamine induced skin inflammation. For acne, hives, eczema induced by inflammatory cytokines and histamine I suggest zinc tablets and topical sea buckthorn oil. Horsetail is the ultimate herb for healing any kind of skin condition whether it be acne, eczema, chapping or burns. Bioflavonoids, the natural pigments in fruits and vegetables reduce histamine production. Oligomeric proanthocyanidins are a class of flavonoid antioxidant complexes found in Grapeseed and sea buckthorn oil which also reduce histamine. Purchased from www.mountainroseherbs.com
Topical antihistamines include the oils of caraway, cardamom, chamomile, clove and lemon balm. Frankincense essential oil is also good to apply topically as an anti-inflammatory agent, which doesn’t burn the skin like teatree oil can. You can also apply harp seal oil to skin inflammation as it is a great source of Omega 3 long-chain polyunsaturated fatty acids (DHA, EPA, DPA), Squalene and Vitamin E. You might also try mixing fresh wheatgrass juice with bentonite or pascalite clay and making a face pack of this...leaving it on the skin for about 40 minutes. Other topical anti-inflammatories include chamomile, aloe vera, licorice, arnica, angelica; make up a strong influsion, run through a coffee filter and put in a spray bottle for frequency application on affected areas.

ANTIHISTAMINES:
Anti-histamine substances which naturally reduce inflammation and associated symptoms include: Vitamin C, vitamin E, sulfur, pancreatic enzymes, alpha lipoic acid, glucosamine sulfate, proanthocyanidins and NAC. Fish oil-Omega 3 and GLA omega-6 fatty acid from evening primrose and borage oils. SAMe (S-adenosyl-L-methionine) has been shown to reduce inflammation. Dr. Batmanghelidj says that salt is the best antihistamine there is.
MSM—(Methylsulfonylmethane) is a sulfur-based compound that blocks cell receptor sites for histamine, lowering histamine levels, reducing allergy-induced symptoms, which may contribute to inflammation. Sulfur is a component of amino acids (methionine cysteine, taurine), some vitamins (e.g. B1, biotin), hormones (insulin), coenzymes (coenzyme A), and antioxidants (glutathione, N-acetylcysteine, alpha-lipoic acid). Because sulfur is necessary to build "disulfide bonds," which hold together tissue, it forms part of the body's physical structure, including protein, collagen, glucosamine, skin, and nails. With adequate MSM cells become more permeable, enabling detoxification of any undesirable foreign particles. If you body is sulfur deficient, the cell walls become hard and stiff, hindering the flow of fluid through the cell walls. Thus MSM softens the cell walls, allowing allergens, foreign proteins, and any free-radicals to be moved out of your system.
Zinc—stabilizes the cell membranes and inhibits the formation of free radicals. Zinc also strengthens the integrity of blood vessel walls by reducing the membrane permeability and stopping bleeding. Zinc has an inhibitory effect on the release of histamine from mast cells due to its stabilizing effect of the mast cell membrane. Bromelain (quercetin) reduces histamine. Vitamin C also helps reduce histamine release. Selenium reduces immunoglobulin action on mast cells and, therefore, also reducing histamine.
Resveratrol is a phytoalexin found in the skin and seeds of red grapes, is an antioxidant, antimutagenic, antiviral and anti-inflammatory. It is also a powerful phytoestrogen that can help maintain normal estrogen activity. Resveratrol is also found in raspberries, mulberries, peanuts, blueberries, bilberries, and cranberries, Scots pine and eastern white pine, and the roots of Japanese knotweed (hu zhang).
More antihistamines: Alternate chamomile tea with peppermint tea but do not drink any caffeine or this will contract your blood vessels and raise your blood pressure. Nettle Tea (Urtica) are extremely helpful, especially if you have the high histamine levels indicated by sensitive skin and frequent ‘prickly heat’ type symptoms. Nettles reduce histamine levels and act as a blood tonic. If you have them in your garden, slowly chew on one dandelion leaf an hour for stimulation of diuresis (urine flow).
Other antihistamine herbs include wild oregano, rue, basil, echinacea, fennel, fig, ginkgo, grapefruit, passionflower, tarragon, tumeric, skullcap, berberine, thyme and yarrow, papaya, amaranth seeds and ginger. The combination of quercetin and bromelain helps maintain the proper functioning of the body's histamine response. Frankincense (Boswellia) inhibits pro-inflammatory mediators in the body, and maybe helpful for ulcerative colitis. However the tree resins will tend to increase blood pressure and need to be avoided during hyper-sympathetic activation.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000