Discussions on AYP Deep Meditation and Samyama
 concentration on mantra
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

snake

United Kingdom
276 Posts

Posted - May 19 2008 :  12:27:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
I know the advice is not to concentrate on the I am mantra but to just repeat it subvocally but by repeating my mind naturally puts it attention on the mantra which to me is concentrating on it,how do i approach it without concentration,it seems impossible?
thanks

Anthem

1608 Posts

Posted - May 19 2008 :  12:44:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Drop the word concentration. Bring your attention to the mantra, when you notice you are off the mantra, away in thoughts, wherever, bring your attention back to the mantra. Travelling away is perfectly ok, once you notice, come back to the mantra.

i am....hmmmm....feel it, experience it.
Go to Top of Page

snake

United Kingdom
276 Posts

Posted - May 19 2008 :  4:08:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
thanks Anthem
Go to Top of Page

skorpion63

India
17 Posts

Posted - May 25 2008 :  10:51:28 AM  Show Profile  Visit skorpion63's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Anthem11

Drop the word concentration. Bring your attention to the mantra, when you notice you are off the mantra, away in thoughts, wherever, bring your attention back to the mantra. Travelling away is perfectly ok, once you notice, come back to the mantra.

i am....hmmmm....feel it, experience it.

Hi,
I am new here and have been doing the "I AM" meditation for a week.I am doing it sitting in siddhasana as i found siddasana very comfortable when i tried doing it the first time(it just felt so natural).

The thing is my mind never goes away from the mantra so there is no question of bringing it back.Does this mean i am doing something wrong or is it not working for me?

Regards

Go to Top of Page

yogani

USA
5196 Posts

Posted - May 26 2008 :  10:11:58 AM  Show Profile  Visit yogani's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by skorpion63

The thing is my mind never goes away from the mantra so there is no question of bringing it back. Does this mean i am doing something wrong or is it not working for me?

Hi Scorpion, and welcome!

It is fine. The fact that you notice the "mind never going away from the mantra" is a thought other than the mantra, right? This is normal. When noticed, just easily favor the mantra over that or any thought. There can be mantra and thoughts mixed together, with the mantra in the background or foreground. It doesn't matter. The procedure stays the same. We never force, just gently favor according to the procedure.

The mantra does not have to be a clear mental pronunciation. In a given session, or over a series of sessions, it will naturally change as purification and opening occur in the nervous system. There is nothing to monitor or judge about it. Monitoring the progress of meditation while doing it is not meditation. We easily favor the mantra over the monitoring. In time, it becomes an easy habit -- it is the habit of stillness we are cultivating. Whenever other thoughts occur, like "I am thinking the mantra all the time," just ease back to the mantra. This can be in a very faint and fuzzy place, and then gone to pure bliss consciousness...

You are doing very well. In some time, the process of daily deep meditation will settle in, and you will notice its affects more and more in your normal daily activity. Carry on, and enjoy!

The guru is in you.

Go to Top of Page

skorpion63

India
17 Posts

Posted - May 26 2008 :  11:14:17 AM  Show Profile  Visit skorpion63's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks a lot for the beautiful explanation.I understand it more clearly now :)
Go to Top of Page

snake

United Kingdom
276 Posts

Posted - May 26 2008 :  12:06:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
""The fact that you notice the "mind never going away from the mantra" is a thought other than the mantra, right? ""

Loved that,helped me too!!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000