Discussions on AYP Deep Meditation and Samyama
 Samyama and ecstatic conductivity
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Emil

Australia
141 Posts

Posted - Apr 02 2008 :  04:24:20 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hi all,
In the Samyama book Yogani talks about inner silence being the prerequisite of the Samyama. But then he also mentions something about ecstatic conductivity being "almost" a prerequisite. To be honest I didn't quite get it if ecstatic conductivity is required for Samyama to fully work or is ecstatic conductivity achieved by Samyama?

The thing is, I've been meditating for almost 15 years and have done Pranayama and asanas for almost 10 months and Samyama and brahmacharya for over 3 months. Yet I still haven't achieved much on the ecstatic conductivity front. I sometimes get a slight burning sensation or pleasure in my first chakra but no sign of bliss or ecstacy.

So I'm wondering is Samyama gonna make that happen for me? Am I not doing my pranayama correctly? Should I just keep waiting? Do I need more sleep? should I read more books? Am I too stupid to be enlightened? (kidding).
I'd appreciate your comments.

Thanks,
Emil

emc

2072 Posts

Posted - Apr 02 2008 :  05:07:58 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Are you doing all this to reach a goal- enlightenement? If you try too hard and focus and put effort on doing it technically right I believe it can set you back. The focus is then on doing it right instead of opening to the unknown, trusting the process and curiously see what happens. The most important thing is your bhakti, the longing, without demands or hopes for GETTING something. Just a longing and a knowing it will happen.
Go to Top of Page

Christi

United Kingdom
4393 Posts

Posted - Apr 02 2008 :  07:33:27 AM  Show Profile  Visit Christi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Emil,

I read Yogani's samyama book a while back, but I don't remember him saying thta ecstatic conductivity is almost a requirement for samyama, only that some degree of inner silence is. I am not sure what "almost" a prerequisit would mean in practice.

I must admit, I still don't understand how samyama works, and I am not very good at it (the actual practice). My guess is that the process mimicks to a degree, the way in which the universe is created. Not the big bang thing, but how it manifests in each moment from deep in stillness, out into light and sound and finally into what we call physical manifestation. I cannot see why ecstatic conductivity should be a pre-requisite for the practice if that is what is being done. Inner silence would be enough.

The slight burning and pleasure in your first chakra is a good sign. Over time, it will expand in magnitude and begin to fill your whole body. In this way it is transformed into ecstatic conductivity. You might find that at this point, deep meditation and pranayama (spinal breathing, bastrika, khumbaka) combined with mudras and bandas will play a bigger role in making this happen than samyama does.

Just a guess,

Christi
Go to Top of Page

yogani

USA
5198 Posts

Posted - Apr 02 2008 :  11:35:48 AM  Show Profile  Visit yogani's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi All:

What samyama and ecstatic conductivity have in common is that both move from within stillness. So each will naturally facilitate the other. That is true of all aspects of yoga. Everything is connected within us. This is why an integration of practices will be much more powerful than any single practice. "The whole is greater than the sum of the parts."

Inner silence is the prerequisite for samyama. Energy techniques (pranayama, asanas, mudras, bandhas, tantra) are the primary means for cultivating ecstatic conductivity. As we know, it is also possible for deep meditation alone (with or without samyama) to cultivate ecstatic conductivity, depending on the process of purification occurring in the individual nervous system. Inner silence is the common denominator underlying all spiritual progress, including the rise of ecstatic conductivity.

The multiple limbs of yoga provide a full range of connection channels in stillness, leading to Oneness.

The guru is in you.

Go to Top of Page

Emil

Australia
141 Posts

Posted - Apr 04 2008 :  12:45:57 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Yogani.

Hi Christi,
Your philosophy of how Samyama works is very interesting.. and I see your point about pranayama. I think I should keep "the whole" package and give it sum more time and see if it gets better.

Go to Top of Page

Emil

Australia
141 Posts

Posted - Apr 04 2008 :  01:12:48 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi emc,
I think on the logical level longing for enlightenment is what's kept me meditating for so long. Recently the practices have become more pleasant and that's also become a factor to keep me going.

However, on other levels (Emotional, ...) there are many things that I'd like to gain through my spiritual progress. Bliss, freedom, world peace, health, success and women are the main ones. Logically I know that bliss alone is enough for me but through out the day I long for many other things as well. Sometimes I try to turn these desires into bhakti.

In the past few months I used to get angry a lot and every time I'd reminded myself phrases like: "I just want to get enlightened." or "That real problem is that I'm not enlightened yet." and then the anger would go away and I would feel good immediately. But recently I don't get angry that often so I don't have that practice any more! I'm trying to do the same thing with sexual desires but not sure if it works.
Go to Top of Page

scottfitzgerald

USA
65 Posts

Posted - Apr 04 2008 :  09:38:55 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Emil-

Are you using siddhasana as your seat? I found that to be an important part for getting things moving in the beginning. When I combined the spinal breathing, root lock, siddhasana and sambhavi, it all sort of seemed to click.

Another aspect that was very important was for me to take a hard look at my attachment to sex and women. As long as I gave my sexual power away to a woman, meaning outside of myself, I was moving backwards. I know you may have been joking in your post about what you wanted...enlightment...success, women. Maybe that is getting in the way. Yogani says in one of the early lessons, we are digging for gold. Things worked much better for me when I loosened my grip in the thoughts of the gold, and just paid attention to the digging itself.

Big love, mate.

Scott
Go to Top of Page

Christi

United Kingdom
4393 Posts

Posted - Apr 04 2008 :  2:20:43 PM  Show Profile  Visit Christi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Emil,
quote:
Hi Christi,
Your philosophy of how Samyama works is very interesting.. and I see your point about pranayama. I think I should keep "the whole" package and give it sum more time and see if it gets better.

Yes, I would definately keep the whole package, and maybe even look to expand it if you feel ready. Spinal bastrika? Only you know where you are at and what you feel ready for.

Just to mention, I found that a lot of anger came up for me at one point a few years back. Looking back I think it was things beginning to shift out from the inside preparing the way for more enjoyable experiences of peace and ecstasy.

Good luck

Christi
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000