Satsang Cafe - General Discussions on AYP
 Missing practices :-(
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

anthony574

USA
549 Posts

Posted - Jul 20 2007 :  11:42:09 AM  Show Profile  Visit anthony574's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hey everyone.

Here's the deal. A week ago I was actually really starting to feel some things from practice. I've been doing AYP for 4 months and I was feeling the beginnings of ecstacy and very high bhakti.

Problem is, I missed two night practices. Sometimes I don't get to it till it's too late and there's almost no point in doing AYP when you're sleepy and your mind is jello. I also went to a concert that was waaay too loud and I was around a lot of cigarettes. I feel like this somehow damaged me as now I feel "disconnected" with low energy and my bhakti is suffering.

I have been trying to restablish my routine, but it bothers me that something like that might have the ability to disconnect me like that. It's really not pleasant, I feel like something is missing or like I'm back to regular old me. I know there is flaw in that thinking, but that's how it is regardless of whether I know its right or wrong.

Kyman

530 Posts

Posted - Jul 20 2007 :  12:35:48 PM  Show Profile  Visit Kyman's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Completely normal.

The cycles of purification, which are most vividly felt on the waves of bhakti, have a back and forth feeling at first. We have strong emotions around being on our chosen path and living up to our goals and principles. Our degree of bhakti at the time of low energy is most likely the only difference between a dark night of the soul and having a pizza and beer.

It is very comfortable, meditating, doing yoga. The sensations, feelings, emotions, can be very fulfilling. Pleasure in every color of the spectrum. So when they aren't there, we have only our love and devotion to see us through to the next phase. And things always get more interesting at the next phase.

Probably the biggest pain of the down cycle is the tendency for the mind to create more negative thoughts, and if the identity or ego is still active, it just thinks away. If you are accustomed to being positive with yourself though, the ego will manifest itself in a more functional way. So just enjoy the down cycle, briefly revisit your old self/selves, stay in touch. But make a definite goal to get back to practice as soon as you feel is best.

Edited by - Kyman on Jul 20 2007 1:01:54 PM
Go to Top of Page

maverick_21

Canada
11 Posts

Posted - Jul 20 2007 :  12:51:00 PM  Show Profile  Visit maverick_21's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
In my opinion you have to be flexible with yourself and your practises if you intend to make this a lifelong process. We all know there will be times when we are forced to miss our practises. I have found that if I am obsessive or compulsive about trying to incorporate any habit into my daily routine it is rarely productive.
I highly doubt that you undid four months of intense inner cleansing by missing two practises. I have to miss practises all the time but I know I'm moving forward. Your feeling of disconnectedness is likely a placebo effect.
Go to Top of Page

yogibear

409 Posts

Posted - Jul 20 2007 :  1:08:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Be like teflon when it comes to the past, Anthony. Don't get stuck in it.

You missed a practice? No sweat. Just pick up where you left off. Non-stick.

"A thousand times to fall, a thousand times to rise."

"Follow the rules gracefully, break the rules gracefully."

"Just keep favoring the practice."

Eventually, if you use persistant "gentle persuasion," you won't be able to help yourself. You will have to meditate. Just like someone has to smoke. Force of habit, neuroplasticity will take over.

Best, yb.
Go to Top of Page

anthony574

USA
549 Posts

Posted - Jul 20 2007 :  3:58:24 PM  Show Profile  Visit anthony574's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Kyman

Completely normal.

The cycles of purification, which are most vividly felt on the waves of bhakti, have a back and forth feeling at first. We have strong emotions around being on our chosen path and living up to our goals and principles. Our degree of bhakti at the time of low energy is most likely the only difference between a dark night of the soul and having a pizza and beer.

It is very comfortable, meditating, doing yoga. The sensations, feelings, emotions, can be very fulfilling. Pleasure in every color of the spectrum. So when they aren't there, we have only our love and devotion to see us through to the next phase. And things always get more interesting at the next phase.

Probably the biggest pain of the down cycle is the tendency for the mind to create more negative thoughts, and if the identity or ego is still active, it just thinks away. If you are accustomed to being positive with yourself though, the ego will manifest itself in a more functional way. So just enjoy the down cycle, briefly revisit your old self/selves, stay in touch. But make a definite goal to get back to practice as soon as you feel is best.

wow, you really hit it on the head there.

that is the problem. during this downtime my mind seems to be creating negative thoughts and trying to undermine my bhakti...making me think yoga is dumb, its escapism, blah blah blah
Go to Top of Page

Kyman

530 Posts

Posted - Jul 20 2007 :  4:56:54 PM  Show Profile  Visit Kyman's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
It's unavoidable, I feel. During these times you have only your ability to stay centered.

It is easy for me to stick my foot in my mouth during those times of low energy, so I find it is best to say little or nothing. A corollary, find the delicate balance between action and non action.

You can refuse to dignify a comment with a reply, and so you can refuse to dignify a thought with a counter thought. Just view the thoughts in the context of phenomena, instead of the seeds for more thoughts.

Edited by - Kyman on Jul 20 2007 5:24:46 PM
Go to Top of Page

salvation

19 Posts

Posted - Jul 21 2007 :  01:50:37 AM  Show Profile  Visit salvation's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi anthony

They all gave good suggestions.Whenever you feel doubts about the yoga practices or some guilt that you missed your practices,just try to give some thought to yourself....

are you the same person as before starting these practices?Haven't you derived so much benefit from these?
Whenever I miss my practices,I don't have any guilt but just feel once that I missed some more benefit for that day and I prepare for the next session...

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000