Satsang Cafe - General Discussions on AYP
 Meditating in a Steam Shower?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

SiMPLiFY

USA
13 Posts

Posted - Jul 19 2007 :  08:55:27 AM  Show Profile  Visit SiMPLiFY's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
I have read most of the website and have the big book Advanced Yoga Practices. I've been practicing for about 3 months now. I am looking for a way to get a little more sleep in the morning as I add on Asanas and Pranayama. I do not want to give up my morning steam.

I have a steam shower with a bench in it.

I'd like to know if there is any harm in doing Asanas (20 minutes) and then setting the timer in a steam shower for 30 minutes to do 10 minutes Pranayama and 20 minutes mantra meditation.

I just wanted to check with an expert and make sure it's okay to deep breathe in hot steam for Pranayama. I set it to around 100 Degrees F

Thanks

Edited by - SiMPLiFY on Jul 19 2007 09:02:14 AM

anthony574

USA
549 Posts

Posted - Jul 19 2007 :  11:50:45 AM  Show Profile  Visit anthony574's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
the problem i see from a health perspective is in the steam itself. do you use reverse osmosis filtering in your steam shower? if not, your local water supply most likely fluoridates and chlorinates the water and that puts a heavy burden on your body by inhalation. also, i imagine that there is less oxygen being breathed in so it may not be good for pranayama

also, i read in an faq about someone who asked about meditating in nature, and i was suprised at first to see that yogani actually recommends against it, but it makes sense being that the object is to go inward.
Go to Top of Page

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - Jul 19 2007 :  1:07:39 PM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by SiMPLiFY

I'd like to know if there is any harm in doing Asanas (20 minutes) and then setting the timer in a steam shower for 30 minutes to do 10 minutes Pranayama and 20 minutes mantra meditation.

Hi SiMPLiFY (hope I got that right..)
Welcome to the forum.

AYP recommends you do your meditation at a place where you dont have too many external distractions.
quote:
Lesson 13 - Meditation -- Awakening the Silent Seed
Find a quiet, comfortable place where you can sit, preferably with
back support. We want to remove unnecessary distractions.

In the lesson Anthony is referring to, Yogani says:
Lesson 31 - Meditation Q&A – Enjoying the great outdoors
If we try and blend our meditation practice
with experiencing the outer world at the same time, the results will
not be optimal. First we go in. Then we come back out. Our meditation
is not about trying to be in and out at the same time. That state of
being both in and out at the same time comes naturally with regular
daily meditation. Being in and out at the same time is not the
practice of meditation. It is the fruit of meditation.

I know you are not talking about meditating outdoors.. and if you feel you are comfortable meditating in a steam shower go for it. The best way to figure out if it works for you or not would be to try it in your steam shower and then the next meditation, try it in a room where you can be alone and quiet for the half hour.

Now, if there are any health issues or other problems or advantages in sitting in a steam shower at 100 degrees for half hour and meditating.. I dont know of them, so I cannot help you there.. I am sure people who know something about it will chime in. (like Anthony did above.)..

Wish you all the best.

Edited by - Shanti on Jul 19 2007 1:08:46 PM
Go to Top of Page

SiMPLiFY

USA
13 Posts

Posted - Jul 19 2007 :  2:05:02 PM  Show Profile  Visit SiMPLiFY's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you for your responses. I did actually read the Q&A about Meditating Outdoors and understood perfectly.

The Steam is a quiet place where I am not disturbed or distracted. I'm not sure whether it's filtered water or not but I use it every day and it does feel very nice and relaxing.

I don't suppose it would be much different than meditating in a Jungle in Panama. Hot & Humid. I'll try it in the morning and see what it's like. I was a bit timid about it which is why I posted the question here. I thought someone more experienced may have the same busy morning routine as I do and find creative ways to work it all in without forfeiting a luxury.

I do the evening session on my bed with a pillow behind my back as instructed so I'll have some comparison that way.

Thanks Again and Have a Great Day!

Edited by - SiMPLiFY on Jul 19 2007 2:09:11 PM
Go to Top of Page

SiMPLiFY

USA
13 Posts

Posted - Jul 20 2007 :  09:37:01 AM  Show Profile  Visit SiMPLiFY's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I thought I'd post here in case anyone else who has a steam would like to know my experience.

I tried it and it worked out really well. I've had a bit of a sore throat for the past few days along with some post nasal drip. Doing Pranayama in the steam seems to have cleared it. The only thing I'd like to do different is to get a big clock to hang in there and a much much dimmer light. I think I'm set.

I happen to be one of those sensitive meditators so I can only go for 10 minutes with a 10 minute rest. I learned that fairly early on though. That is why my schedule seems a bit tight in case you're wondering. If you're going the full 20 minutes you'd need to add in the rest period.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000