Satsang Cafe - General Discussions on AYP
 Thoughts during the day
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

gentlep

USA
114 Posts

Posted - Jul 11 2007 :  9:27:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
How do you handle thoughts during the day, outside meditation.

I often catch myself engaged in thoughts and when I do that what's next. It's not possible to be silent there because mind soon gets into other thoughts or it keeps on asking what should I think next. I have to give it something to think otherwise it feels uncomfortable. In the past I experimented with engaging in mentally repeating a mantra or watching the breath. What do others do?

Edited by - gentlep on Jul 11 2007 9:28:39 PM

Mattimo

25 Posts

Posted - Jul 11 2007 :  10:46:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi gentlep,

I am probably in no way qualified to reply yo your question, me being a junior mediator / spiritual novice. Nonetheless, I will present my opinion for your consideration. First and foremost I believe it is important to not "catch" yourself thinking but to be "aware" of your thinking. When you are catching yourself in thought, you are thinking even more about what to do about that, as opposed to merely going with the flow. Let the intellectual mind-stuff go i.e." what do I do next," "should I think about this, or that;" just relax and observe.

Go to Top of Page

Victor

USA
910 Posts

Posted - Jul 12 2007 :  12:01:36 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
agreed. Thinking happens. it is what the mind does. Don't worry about it, just be aware of it
Go to Top of Page

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - Jul 12 2007 :  09:34:37 AM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Very good reply Mattimo.

Hi Gentlep,
The mind is designed to think, that is what it does.. the idea is not to get caught up in it. Like Mattimo said, just be aware of it.
Now, I had a very tough time figuring out how to just be aware of it.. to detach myself from it.. and be an observer.

Here is something that helped me get started..

quote:
http://www.aypsite.org/forum/topic....hpage=2#6615

This is what I have been doing..a little of Tolle and Yogani I guess. I realized, whenever I am alone, my mind starts working overtime.. I keep thinking.. thinking.. thinking... till my thoughts take a life of its own. These days, as soon as I realize I am thinking, I bring my mind back to where I am.. so if I am driving.. I watch the cars, the tree, listen to the music on the radio or mantra playing on a CD. Just like I do in my meditation.. as soon as I realize I am off the mantra, I go back to the mantra.. so too during the day.. as soon as I realize I am off on one of my thought trips.. I come back to what I am doing. Just like mediation, I may not stay there for long.. and go back into my thought land.. but again just like meditation, when I realize I am off.. I bring myself back.

It takes a little getting used to.. and never beat yourself up if it does not work.. Small steps.. and soon it will become a natural part of your life..
..and.. it will be easy to be aware of your thoughts.. observe them and not become them.
Go to Top of Page

anthony574

USA
549 Posts

Posted - Jul 12 2007 :  12:37:32 PM  Show Profile  Visit anthony574's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I have had "trouble" with this my whole life, and it has only amplified as I became more self-aware. My problem is with songs. I am a musician and music fanatic so I have songs composing and playing alllll day and it used to really get me down, but now I don't pay it any mind. The mind is a little thought machine and there is little point is stressing out abbout it, I think in time it will settle and you will make peace with its chatterings. As for now, I have tried mantras and directed thoughts...but I find the best thing to do is focus on your breathing for a little bit and focus in on your surroundings. If the thoughts continue, no big deal, just don't make them your FOCUS.

It's like with deep meditation. Yogani says it doesn't matter if while you're repeating the mantra you have thoughts playing simultaenously, just don;t make them the primary focus, let them run.

I also sometimes will just view it objectively and ponder the nature of the incessant mind and view as part of the human condition. Perhaps we were given so much thought capacity and power...yet we do not yet have control and mastery of its powers.
Go to Top of Page

gentlep

USA
114 Posts

Posted - Jul 12 2007 :  1:58:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Shanti

Very good reply Mattimo.

Hi Gentlep,
These days, as soon as I realize I am thinking, I bring my mind back to where I am.. so if I am driving.. I watch the cars, the tree, listen to the music on the radio or mantra playing on a CD.

It's funny, if I do that the mind works in background then as well (by thinking, now I am seeing the car, the tree etc.)
Go to Top of Page

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - Jul 12 2007 :  2:15:22 PM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by gentlep
It's funny, if I do that the mind works in background then as well (by thinking, now I am seeing the car, the tree etc.)

So did mine..

And that is OK.. the fact that you just said.. and my mind thinks in the background "now I see the car and tree".. shows that you are aware of the thought. That is what I do to be aware if the thought. "You see".. "you think".. and one part of you "is aware"..
Just like in meditation.. you say the mantra.. you have thoughts.. suddenly you are aware you have thoughts so you go back to the mantra.. that few seconds of gap that you create without a thought.. becomes longer with time. My post I referred to above was a year old.. and I have continued with that since then.. and today I can say I am better at being aware of the constant chatter in my head.. is it gone.. No... Has it reduced.. yes by a lot.. enough that when I now see the car.. I dont have to tell myself "hey I see a car"
Have I stopped thinking.. about the past and the future..
Nope.. but I dont get entangled in it.. I dont build a story on it.. I just watch my thoughts.. and smile when I see how hard it tries to get me to live there in the past or the future.
Go to Top of Page

Balance

USA
967 Posts

Posted - Jul 12 2007 :  4:23:03 PM  Show Profile  Visit Balance's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi. Everyone has covered it nicely but I'll put in a little of my observation. Silence and stillness to me are not states of no thought and no movement. Abiding in letting it be as it is without grasping gives a feeling of silence. Sort of like sitting and relaxing as the breath rises and falls, thoughts rise and fall, one and then another and so on. When there is no grasping the thoughts seem to come more slowly and less frantically, or with less insane story building, less emotional and energetic cringe. Thoughts just are there and rather than attempting to choose to do anything with them I am beneath(?) them. When I think about thinking I experience the troubles that come with it. Even watching thought can give rise to entanglement because it can lead to a holding to the past.

Edited by - Balance on Jul 12 2007 4:33:04 PM
Go to Top of Page

gentlep

USA
114 Posts

Posted - Jul 12 2007 :  4:39:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Balance

Silence and stillness to me are not states of no thought and no movement. Abiding in letting it be as it is without grasping gives a feeling of silence. Sort of like sitting and relaxing as the breath rises and falls, thoughts rise and fall, one and then another and so on. Even watching thought can give rise to entanglement because it can lead to a holding to the past.

May be someday I will understand that i.e. how not to engage in thinking and not watching the thoughts either, but just be. Sounds profound.

Edited by - gentlep on Jul 12 2007 5:35:18 PM
Go to Top of Page

Balance

USA
967 Posts

Posted - Jul 12 2007 :  4:58:23 PM  Show Profile  Visit Balance's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
It's really not profound. It's nothing special, just very nice and peaceful. I'm just new to a bit of it actually. It really takes no effort, in fact effort works against it. Just accept silence and it will occur to you more and more. It is like children playing.
Go to Top of Page

thimus

53 Posts

Posted - Jul 13 2007 :  04:09:19 AM  Show Profile  Visit thimus's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Here a nice exemple from zen : the mind is a pond with a lot fish in it. You are the fisherman. Now you muss fish wihtout a fishhook.
So we dont have to kill all the fish
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000