New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 7

Balance

USA
967 Posts

Posted - Jun 10 2007 :  4:11:42 PM  Show Profile  Visit Balance's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply

"Ah ha ha ha ha ha!!

Oh oh oh oh ha ha ha ha ha!!

Ha ha ha ha---Ah ha ha ha!!

Ha ha ha ha!!

Eh heh heh heh....!!

Ah ha ha ha!!"

-Unknown
Go to Top of Page

Greg108

29 Posts

Posted - Jun 10 2007 :  4:56:16 PM  Show Profile  Visit Greg108's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks, glad you liked it. Here is another one from Nisargadatta that I like:

"Take the first step first.
All blessings come from within. Turn within.
'I am' you know.
Be with it all the time you can spare,
until you revert to it spontaneously.
There is no simpler and easier way."

To me this means return to the simple sense of being, of knowing that you are, that you exist (I Am). Coming back to just being, to that which is always present. I think for me the understanding that we are looking not for a firework show of some kind, but for something that we already are, that is always present and that is true right now, was of great help. Starting with the knowledge that I am what I seek, i am that. Returning to that until it is the Host and not the Guest. I know there is a paradox here, but I am told that is part of the deal.

Greg108

Go to Top of Page

Balance

USA
967 Posts

Posted - Jun 12 2007 :  11:45:42 AM  Show Profile  Visit Balance's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply

Clambering up the Cold Mountain path,
The Cold Mountain trail goes on and on:
The long gorge choked with scree and boulders,
The wide creek, the mist-blurred grass.
The moss is slippery, though there's been no rain.
The pine sings, but there's no wind.
Who can leap the world's ties
And sit with me among the white clouds.

-Han-shan
Go to Top of Page

Balance

USA
967 Posts

Posted - Jun 14 2007 :  5:13:30 PM  Show Profile  Visit Balance's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply

"Is the abode of God anywhere but in the earth, the sea, and sky, and air, and virtue? Why do we seek the heavenly ones beyond? Whatever you see, and whatever you touch, that is God."

- Lucan
Go to Top of Page

Balance

USA
967 Posts

Posted - Jun 15 2007 :  6:28:21 PM  Show Profile  Visit Balance's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
"The world is given to me only once, not one existing and one perceived. Subject and object are only one. The barrier between them cannot be said to have broken down as a result of recent experience in the physical sciences, for this barrier does not exist."

-Erwin Schrodinger, Quantum Physicist

Edited by - Balance on Jun 15 2007 6:30:17 PM
Go to Top of Page

Greg108

29 Posts

Posted - Jun 16 2007 :  1:43:41 PM  Show Profile  Visit Greg108's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Questions to Eckhart Tolle:

Question: What do we experience when we connect with our real self? How does that experience change the way we live our own life?

Answer: You no longer create suffering for yourself. Anger, resentment, regret, grievances, anxiety, guilt, etc, which are all inseparable from the egoic state of consciousness, no longer arise. And when you no longer create suffering for yourself, you no longer create suffering for others. You have deep empathy, not only with other human beings, but also with nature and all life forms. You see all life forms as manifestations of the one formless and eternal Life, which is what you are in essence, and you can sense that essence not only in yourself, but in all beings. In other words, everywhere you encounter yourself.

Question: Wouldn’t it be more encouraging to set ones goals and try to fulfill them? That could also give us a strong purpose in life… What is the difference between the two approaches?

Answer: There’s nothing wrong with goals and trying to fulfill them – as long as the main focal point of your attention remains the present moment. It’s like being on a journey and knowing where you want to get to, but realizing at the same time that the entire journey ultimately consists of one step – the step you’re taking at this moment. That one step is all there ever is, and so you give it your fullest attention. In other words, the step you’re taking now is primary, the destination – the goal – is secondary. If the destination becomes primary, you will become stressed and anxious and you will miss life. You will suffer, and the destination will not make you happy even when you get there, when you attain your goals.
Go to Top of Page

Balance

USA
967 Posts

Posted - Jun 16 2007 :  4:19:01 PM  Show Profile  Visit Balance's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply

When there's exclusive identification with the content of awareness, with the story of 'me' as an imagined entity, there's a tendency for the awareness aspect of Consciousness to be objectified as 'the beyond', a state or realm which once attained will offer oneness, lasting peace.

But in actuality there is no beyond, nothing to be attained 'ultimately'. There's simply this as it is: simple presence. This is already that 'realm'. Consciousness (awareness and the presently appearing content of awareness) is already one or whole, and when the story of 'me' - of identification - is seen as just a play, a movie, then all pursuit of oneness, all pursuit of the beyond or whatever, quite naturally becomes obsolete.

-Nathan Gill
Go to Top of Page

Balance

USA
967 Posts

Posted - Jun 16 2007 :  4:37:59 PM  Show Profile  Visit Balance's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply

"Renunciation is not giving up the things of this world, but accepting that they go away."

~Shunryu Suzuki
Go to Top of Page

Balance

USA
967 Posts

Posted - Jun 16 2007 :  4:39:32 PM  Show Profile  Visit Balance's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply

"Only the incomprehensible gives any light."

~Saul Bellow
Go to Top of Page

Balance

USA
967 Posts

Posted - Jun 16 2007 :  4:42:09 PM  Show Profile  Visit Balance's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply

"Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
I am large, I contain the multitudes."

~Walt Whitman
Go to Top of Page

Anthem

1608 Posts

Posted - Jun 17 2007 :  9:55:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Only the formless can fulfill or satisfy, all else comes and goes and dissipates into nothingness. Life is an ever dancing play of forms on a background of emptiness. What Is inside me, is in you, is in a tree, is in the wall. Of course!
Go to Top of Page

Balance

USA
967 Posts

Posted - Jun 21 2007 :  02:47:02 AM  Show Profile  Visit Balance's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply

Know that in this way there are myriads of forms and hundreds of grasses throughout the entire earth, and yet each grass and each form itself is the entire earth.

The study of this is the beginning of practice.

When you are at this place, there is just one grass, there is just one
form; there is understanding of form and no-understanding of form; there is understanding of grass and no-understanding of grass.

Since there is nothing but just this moment, the time-being is all the time there is.

Grass-being, form-being are both time.

Each moment is all being, is the entire world.

Reflect now whether any being or any world is left out of the present moment.

~Dogen
Go to Top of Page

Balance

USA
967 Posts

Posted - Jun 21 2007 :  02:55:45 AM  Show Profile  Visit Balance's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply

All things are like this...

When dharma does not fill your whole body and mind, you may assume it is already sufficient. When dharma fills your body and mind, you understand that something is missing. For example, when you sail out in a boat to the middle of an ocean where no land is in sight, and view the four directions, the ocean looks circular, and does not look any other way. But the ocean is neither round nor square; its features are infinite in variety. It is like a palace. It is like a jewel. It only looks circular as far as you can see at that time. All things are like this.

Though there are many features in the dusty world and the world beyond conditions, you see and understand only what your eye of practice can reach. In order to learn the nature of the myriad things, you must know that although they may look round or square, the other features of oceans and mountains are infinite in variety; whole worlds are there. It is so not only around you, but also directly beneath your feet, or in a drop of water.

~Dogen
Go to Top of Page

Balance

USA
967 Posts

Posted - Jun 21 2007 :  3:21:52 PM  Show Profile  Visit Balance's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply

Moon Reflected on the Water

Enlightenment is like the moon reflected on the water. The moon does not get wet, nor is the water broken. Although its light is wide and great, the moon is reflected even in a puddle an inch wide. The whole moon and the entire sky are reflected in dewdrops on the grass, or even in one drop of water.

Enlightenment does not divide you, just as the moon does not break the water. You cannot hinder enlightenment, just as a drop of water does not hinder the moon in the sky. The depth of the drop is the height of the moon. Each reflection, however long or short its duration, manifests the vastness of the dewdrop, and realizes the limitlessness of the moonlight in the sky

^^Dogen
Go to Top of Page

Balance

USA
967 Posts

Posted - Jun 22 2007 :  5:15:46 PM  Show Profile  Visit Balance's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply

To study the Way is to study the self.

To study the self is to forget the self.

To forget the self is to be enlightened by the ten thousand things.

~~Dogen
Go to Top of Page

Balance

USA
967 Posts

Posted - Jun 22 2007 :  5:18:58 PM  Show Profile  Visit Balance's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply

Because the mind is free ~~
Listening to the rain
Dripping from the eaves,
The drops become
One with me.

^^~Dogen
Go to Top of Page

Balance

USA
967 Posts

Posted - Jun 22 2007 :  9:37:46 PM  Show Profile  Visit Balance's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply

When we truly enter the mountains,
birds, bugs, beasts and blossoms
radiate supernatural excellence
and take great delight in our presence

^~Dogen
Go to Top of Page

Balance

USA
967 Posts

Posted - Jun 23 2007 :  1:22:45 PM  Show Profile  Visit Balance's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply

There are mountains hidden in jewels.

There are mountains hidden in marshes,

Mountains hidden in the sky.

There are mountains hidden in mountains.

There's a study of mountains hidden in hiddenness.

^Dogen
Go to Top of Page

Balance

USA
967 Posts

Posted - Jun 23 2007 :  1:27:56 PM  Show Profile  Visit Balance's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply

When the ‘I’ thought - the primary thought - has been assumed, then the succession of arising thoughts appears to form a continuous solid entity called 'mind'. It's like a propeller: when it's still, it's seen as two or three blades, but when it's whirling around - the apparent succession of thoughts - then it appears as an entity...

...This is what we're calling 'mind', but in fact mind has no existence - it's just an apparent succession of arising thoughts. The story formed in thought is no more real than a story formed by a succession of messages strung together to form a novel. There can be involvement in a novel, but only when it's picked up and read. It could just be left on the shelf.

-Nathan Gill
Go to Top of Page

Balance

USA
967 Posts

Posted - Jun 25 2007 :  2:03:13 PM  Show Profile  Visit Balance's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
"I KNOW NOTHINGK!"

~Sergeant Schultz

Edited by - Balance on Jun 26 2007 3:43:16 PM
Go to Top of Page

Balance

USA
967 Posts

Posted - Jun 29 2007 :  1:33:13 PM  Show Profile  Visit Balance's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
This is the gift

I am

The taking

And the giving

of This

Is the gift

I am

This

In the taking

And the giving

Of This

I am

This

--Apple-seed

Edited by - Balance on Jun 30 2007 12:40:23 PM
Go to Top of Page

Balance

USA
967 Posts

Posted - Jun 29 2007 :  10:13:23 PM  Show Profile  Visit Balance's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thoughts think

Feelings feel

Grasses grass

Trees tree

Things thing

Loves love

Hatreds hate

Animals animal

People people

Births birth

deaths die

Presence is present

Awareness is aware

--Peach-pit

Edited by - Balance on Jun 30 2007 12:42:16 PM
Go to Top of Page

Balance

USA
967 Posts

Posted - Jun 30 2007 :  1:05:21 PM  Show Profile  Visit Balance's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply

I live far off in the wild
where moss and woods are thick and plants perfumed
I can see mountains rain or shine
and never hear market noise
I light a few leaves in my stove to heat tea
to patch my robe I cut off a cloud
lifetimes seldom fill a hundred years
why suffer for profit and fame?

good and bad fortune never lose their way
success and failure both follow karma
just realize they're empty at heart
and what doesn't change is real

this body's existence is like a bubble's
may as well accept what happens
events and hopes seldom agree
but who can step back doesn't worry
we blossom and fade like flowers
gather and part like clouds
worldly thoughts I forgot long ago
relaxing all day on a peak.

^Shih-Wu

Go to Top of Page

Balance

USA
967 Posts

Posted - Jul 03 2007 :  02:14:39 AM  Show Profile  Visit Balance's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply

....there is no why and there is no experiment and no choice. The basis of traditional argument is that oneness chose to become two, and if oneness made a choice to become two, it could make a choice to become one again. It’s a fairy story based on the illusion of time, cause and effect.
Nothing is ever chosen. The whole dream of choice and motivation is that there is something in time that can move forward with intention from a place called twoness to a place called oneness. There never has been anything but being, and this is the eternal nothing and everything. It isn’t going anywhere and it’s never been anywhere. There is no anywhere. There is no time or space except in the appearance. There is nothing but this, and this is nothing happening.

--Tony Parsons
Go to Top of Page

Balance

USA
967 Posts

Posted - Jul 04 2007 :  9:02:36 PM  Show Profile  Visit Balance's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
"Anger is like a rock, love is like river water. Right now, just have no anger, no love; this is passing through mountains, rivers, and stone walls."

~Pai-Chang (720-814, China)

Edited by - Balance on Jul 05 2007 11:16:43 AM
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 7 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.07 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000