AYPsite.org Forum
 Satsang Cafe - General Discussions on AYP
 I am not my identity
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Anthem

1608 Posts

Posted - May 20 2007 :  11:05:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
It's interesting to watch the process and transformation of the mind over time as we search for ourselves and walk the spiritual path. So much of my personal search has been coming to realize what I am not. I am not my body, I am not my emotions, I am not my thoughts, I am not my mind/ ego etc. It's also interesting to realize how relative our truth is.

Some aspects of the mind are so closely imbedded in our perceptions that we don't even realize that they are a lens that we look through which colors our perceptions of reality.

I came to the realization earlier today that I am not my identity, I am not "Anthem11". "Anthem11" is just another thought that I remember. I realize that if I just sit here and listen, that I don't actually know who I am unless I think about it. Who am I? I am this field of awareness that needs to think about an identity, to remember it. When I remember it, I think ah yes, I am Anthem11, I am such and such an age, I do this for work... etc. My mind creates an identity based on a bunch of thoughts of what I do and calls it "Anthem11". I see clearly that I am a field of awareness that transcends this body, that's it, I am not anything, I just am and actually have no idea what that is or means.

weaver

832 Posts

Posted - May 20 2007 :  11:22:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Andrew (?)

Yes, this is a profound insight. I also see that I am a field of awareness that doesn't need to attach to it what I usually have considered my personality, or what others think I am. It surprised me a little today, when sorting junk mail, and some was addressed to my first name, then the thought came up "Is this for me, or who?". It feels liberating in some way.
Go to Top of Page

Kyman

530 Posts

Posted - May 20 2007 :  11:37:28 PM  Show Profile  Visit Kyman's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
What does thinking outside the box feel like?

Edited by - Kyman on May 20 2007 11:53:03 PM
Go to Top of Page

weaver

832 Posts

Posted - May 21 2007 :  12:03:45 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Kyman,

Thinking outside of the box feels liberating. It feels like there is more freedom of choice, to be able to make a better choice because there is less stuff (opinions, beliefs, habit patterns etc.) trying to interfere with the awareness.
Go to Top of Page

Anthem

1608 Posts

Posted - May 21 2007 :  12:14:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Kyman

What does thinking outside the box feel like?

From another perspective, there is no thinking outside of the box.

If you were to define the box as our normal experience of reality with the company of our ever-babbling ego-minds, which are perpetually busy spinning out a story of our life, then outside of that there is just quiet awareness of experience. Outside of that there is silence, there is just being without labels and definitions and interpretations of our direct experience.
Go to Top of Page

salvation

19 Posts

Posted - May 21 2007 :  12:53:38 PM  Show Profile  Visit salvation's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I would like to heartly thanks to Yogani & members here.
I am a new user, but I would like to share my views with you.

I have also gone through this sort of experience sometimes,that comes naturally when I try to find the answer "who am I?" When I try to go deeper in silence , this world seems the reality created by my own mind but I feel myself something seperate from all these worldly affairs.

Anthem11 , you wrote the topic " I am not my identity ", but this observer within you is your actual identity(the soul or atman).I hope that this is not another game of mind.

Any suggestions are welcomed..
Go to Top of Page

Anthem

1608 Posts

Posted - May 21 2007 :  10:24:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Salvation, welcome to the forum!

A mind game would involve thoughts and concepts. Awareness simply is, "conceptless", not definable, knowable only without thought. Yes I see what you mean the observer within is who we are, but from my perspective there is no identity to it, it just is. We simply be.

Enlightenment isn't some point in the future, it is now. We become a little more enlightened the more we live in the here and now.

A

Go to Top of Page

salvation

19 Posts

Posted - May 22 2007 :  01:16:27 AM  Show Profile  Visit salvation's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi anthem,
it seems that u have got the glimpse of that state which is called enlightment ,though not permanent.I think this is, what we obtain through "Gyan yoga" .You said that you see no identity to it, that may be because "it is the job of the MIND to perceive the world by its own logics".If your awareness is without logics and thoughts, then certainly it should be beyond mind and only the consiousness or the soul could cross the boundaries of the mind. any suggestions to remain in this state for long time?
Go to Top of Page

Anthem

1608 Posts

Posted - May 22 2007 :  09:37:57 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Glimpse is a good word. When you are on the road and you get a glimpse of where you are going and then you know you are headed in the right direction.

As far as suggestions go, I can only say that twice a day AYP practices as outlined in the lessons here:
http://www.aypsite.org/MainDirectory.html
As well as finding, identifying and understanding the thoughts that take me out of the here and now have helped me become steadily more present over time. It is a road I will follow my whole life long as far as I can see from here and I look forward to seeing where it takes me.

A

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000