Other Systems and Alternate Approaches
 guru gita
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

blackmuladar

USA
17 Posts

Posted - May 01 2007 :  4:11:25 PM  Show Profile  Visit blackmuladar's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
here is some spiritual commentary by Lahiri Mahasaya.

"vedas,shastras[scriptures],historical treaties,puranas[spiritual folklore],as well as paths like shiva,shakta,agama and many other such things are there. All are currupt. -7 and 8-"

comments please..................................................

Balance

USA
967 Posts

Posted - May 01 2007 :  5:59:01 PM  Show Profile  Visit Balance's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I'm thinking that with those words Lahiri Mahasaya was trying to convey that anything which isn't an individual's experience of direct knowledge from the practice of (Kriya) Yoga through the guidance of Inner Guru is information from a secondary source, or includes the veil of an exterior form worship.

Edited by - Balance on May 01 2007 6:10:13 PM
Go to Top of Page

Christi

United Kingdom
4380 Posts

Posted - May 02 2007 :  2:26:54 PM  Show Profile  Visit Christi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Blackmuladar,

"The scriptures are dead, in everything that has life is the Law written..."
Jesus of Nazareth

I think Lahiri Mahasaya was saying something that had already been said. But it is good to hear it in his own words.

Christi
Go to Top of Page

Chiron

Russia
397 Posts

Posted - May 03 2007 :  03:51:53 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
That corruption applies to every religion today. When few mature souls take birth to continue the teachings such corruption is a natural result. The hordes are attached to one thing or another and always seek an easy way. Thus religion becomes just another pastime for the ego instead of becoming a tool for the destruction of it.

Value can be gained from the scriptures, but when people think that the scriptures are the source of all knowledge thats when the corruption begins. Thanking the Devas for their favours is common courtesy, even though they are only performing God's will. If a person gives you some bread while you are hungry, you would thank that person wouldn't you? Even though they are only performing God's will. So what's harmful about lighting a candle to thank Shiva and Shakti? But when those ceremonies become the only activity that's when the corruption begins.

As for history, victors and those in power write their own version and the truth is very much different, plus add the brocken telephone effect which inevitably occurs over time and you get myths written and accepted as fact.

Edited by - Chiron on May 03 2007 04:13:21 AM
Go to Top of Page

blackmuladar

USA
17 Posts

Posted - May 08 2007 :  9:43:01 PM  Show Profile  Visit blackmuladar's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Lahiri Mahasaya commentary:

"Fire ceremonies,vows,offerings,austerities,pilgrimages - all are fruitless without having knowledge of Guru. Have no doubt about this. -9-"

i love all your responses,the members at AYP have much to offer.

comments please.........................................................

Edited by - blackmuladar on May 14 2007 8:00:25 PM
Go to Top of Page

Christi

United Kingdom
4380 Posts

Posted - May 09 2007 :  07:13:44 AM  Show Profile  Visit Christi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Blackmuladar,

quote:
Lahiri Mahasaya commentary:

"Fire ceremonies,vows,offerings,austerities,pilgrimages - all are fruitless without having knowledge of Guru. Have no doubt about this. -9-"

i love all your responses,the members at AYP have much to offer.

comments please.........................................................

Another great line from Lahiri Mahasaya! Thanks for finding them.
My yoga teacher spoke to me about this about a week ago. He said to me
"If we have no knowledge of the Guru, then we have no knowledge of anything. And what is Guru?"
He didn't wait for me to answer because he knew I didn't have a clue. Then he said:
" Guru is Brahman. It is the absolute, the highest, the supreme, higher even than all the Gods. It is from Brahman that everything comes. Without the grace of the supreme Guru we cannot attain anything, so we must pray continuously for His divine grace."

I thanked him and thought "so maybe that's what Yogani means by the Guru is within you".

Christi
Go to Top of Page

blackmuladar

USA
17 Posts

Posted - May 13 2007 :  12:06:54 AM  Show Profile  Visit blackmuladar's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Shayama Charan Lahiri Mahasaya commentary:

"Guru is Brahman. Doing as Guru says results in the attainment of Brahman, by His Grace. One's abode, status, accomplishments, sustenance and such are all fully secured. Thus, engage yourself in meditating upon Self-Guru. -15-"

dig it & dig it & dig it & dig it & dig it & dig it & dig it & dig it!

Edited by - blackmuladar on May 14 2007 8:00:58 PM
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000