Discussions on AYP Pranayama, Mudras and Bandhas
 AYP perspective on 3SRB?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

dmyr

USA
2 Posts

Posted - Apr 10 2007 :  5:23:18 PM  Show Profile  Visit dmyr's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
I explored the http://3srb.org link via the AYP links page and it raises questions for me. Mainly, is this the real deal? I've never heard another yogic source teach an unbalanced (3 second inhale, 2 second exhale) breathing rhythm pattern as the natural predominant pattern to aspire to in the still waking state throughout the day as we do our work.

Am very interested in the AYP perspective on the importance, validity and authenticity of this practice. If the teaching is off, what is the yogic understanding of the normal still waking pattern of inhalation and exhalation, breaths and beats per minute?

Thanks.

Edited by - dmyr on Apr 15 2007 8:46:31 PM

Scott

USA
969 Posts

Posted - Apr 10 2007 :  9:09:03 PM  Show Profile  Visit Scott's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Dmyr,

Welcome to the forum!

I won't give you the AYP perspective necessarily but I'll give you my own. Any method of controlling the breath without first controlling the mind can be disastrous and not lead anyone anywhere spiritually.

The breathing we should aspire to is the one which occurs naturally as a result of attaining samadhi.

But like I said, that's just my own perspective.
Go to Top of Page

dmyr

USA
2 Posts

Posted - Apr 18 2007 :  11:02:08 PM  Show Profile  Visit dmyr's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Scott for your reply. Agree with your comments, but don't think our concepts are mutually exclusive. It is always said here that a foundation of silence cultivated by meditation is paramount before incorporating other practices and I couldn't agree more, but we are adding practices in conjunction with our meditation to push, but self-pace our progress.

So the question still remains for those interested in cultivating, in earnest, the refinement of a sattvic productive state throughout the day, is the 3srb prescription something to be taken seriously?

I experimented with it myself over the last week, and it feels to me to have an energizing quality due to the slightly longer inhale, which would be in accurate contrast to the often mentioned 2:1(exhale:inhale) breathing for calming.

So, at this point, it's more of a curiosity than anything else. Certainly the AYP practices induce that sattvic state throughout the day. There is so much written out there that feels like conjecture or an unfounded single-prescription for all, excluding AYP and Yogani, which have brought a very efficient personal elegance to practicing advanced yoga.

Thanks.

Edited by - dmyr on Apr 18 2007 11:08:52 PM
Go to Top of Page

USA
146 Posts

Posted - Apr 19 2007 :  12:25:53 AM  Show Profile  Visit avatar186's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
ive actually heard, that the breathing rythem was inhail 2, exhail one. i would breath into the stomech, then the chest. i used the yocig full breath. i would inhail completly, and exhail completly. although when i would breath, i would hold for a half second, this would contribute to the 2 seconds on inhailation. i created a very strong backwards flow with this, but i belie ve other factors contributed.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.07 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000