Discussions on AYP Deep Meditation and Samyama
 so'ham hamsa
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

blackmuladar

USA
17 Posts

Posted - Apr 08 2007 :  11:22:22 PM  Show Profile  Visit blackmuladar's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
i have been practicing the SRF hong-sa technique for some years. when i tried the "I AM AYAM" mantra it didn't seem to "reach" or "cover as much ground" as hong-sa did. then i added the Shree Shree at the front of AYAM and it felt as if work was being done. the question is,is it neccessary to start w/the AYAM mantra alone or if it feels right start w/the add ons?

yogani

USA
5196 Posts

Posted - Apr 09 2007 :  4:27:16 PM  Show Profile  Visit yogani's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by blackmuladar

i have been practicing the SRF hong-sa technique for some years. when i tried the "I AM AYAM" mantra it didn't seem to "reach" or "cover as much ground" as hong-sa did. then i added the Shree Shree at the front of AYAM and it felt as if work was being done. the question is,is it neccessary to start w/the AYAM mantra alone or if it feels right start w/the add ons?

Hi Blackmuladar:

Not sure how you are approaching the use of mantra meditation. It sounds like you might be replacing hong-sau (hamsa/so-ham) with I AM (AYAM) in your present technique. Just in case you are, the I AM (AYAM) mantra is not a breathing mantra, and it is not recommended to use it that way.

As you know, hong-sau (hamsa/so-ham) is a breathing mantra, which involves a different technique from AYP deep meditation. In AYP, we do not mix pranayama with mantra use. Instead, we do spinal breathing pranayama (in kriya yoga, spinal breathing usually replaces the hong-sau method), followed by a separate session of deep meditation with mantra (which kriya yoga does not use). So we are talking about two classes of practice (pranayama and meditation), and the results, while intermingled, are not directly comparable. Each has its own role to play in our purification and opening.

In addition, in AYP spinal breathing pranayama, we do not use mantra (as is done sometimes in kriya yoga), which is a significant difference in approach.

Deep meditation is for cultivating inner silence, and spinal breathing pranayama is for cultivating ecstatic conductivity. Both of these are enhanced with additional techniques as we go through the AYP lessons in order, which is where the mantra enhancements come in on the inner silence side of the equation.

For further explanation on the relationship of mantra and breathing in AYP, see this lesson: http://www.aypsite.org/106.html

So, with all of that, I'm not sure that you would be taking a good step going to the first mantra enhancement, since it is not yet clear what you are practicing. Even using the AYP deep meditation technique, I would not recommend starting with an enhanced mantra.

For those who are using the AYP deep meditation technique, going to the first mantra enhancement is a pretty big step. It may not happen for many months, or even years. It certainly should not be done until our current deep meditation practice with I AM (AYAM) is clear and stable. Of course, it is always up to the practitioner.

Wishing you the best on your path. Practice wisely, and enjoy!

The guru is in you.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000