New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

Doc

USA
394 Posts

Posted - Mar 07 2007 :  4:07:12 PM  Show Profile  Visit Doc's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Katrine:

I'm wondering if the "shine presence" you have referred to might bear some similarity of relationship to the ancient Jewish perception of God's Presence as 'Shekinah'? Check this out, and see what you think.

http://www.bible-history.com/tabern...es/SHEK3.gif
http://shekinah.elysiumgates.com/im...shekinah.jpg

The Wisdom of Solomon

Shekinah is the Supreme Spirit
devoted to the good of all people . . .

She shines bright in the bloom of ignorance;
She is unfading;
She is easily seen by those who love Her;
easily found by those who look for Her,
And quickly does She come to those who seek Her help.

One who rises early, intent on finding Her, will not grow weary of the quest--
For one day he will find Her seated in his own heart.

To set all one's thoughts on Her is true wisdom,
And to be ever aware of Her is the sure way to perfect peace.
For Shekinah Herself goes about in search of those who are worthy of Her.

With every step She comes to guide them;
in every thought She comes to meet them . . .

The true beginning of spiritual life is the desire to know Shekinah.
A desire to know Her brings one to love Her.
Loving Her enables one to follow her will.
Following Her will is the sure path of immortality.
And immortality is oneness with God.

So the desire to know Shekinah leads to God
and His Kingdom - - a never-fading Kingdom.
With all your thrones and scepters you may rule the world for a while,
But take hold of Shekinah and you will rule the world forever.

The Wisdom of Solomon (50 BCE)
was written by an unknown Jewish sage living in Alexandria.
By custom, however, it is ascribed to King Solomon (10th century BCE).

Hari OM!

Doc

Edited by - Doc on Mar 07 2007 4:26:00 PM
Go to Top of Page

Katrine

Norway
1813 Posts

Posted - Mar 08 2007 :  04:19:38 AM  Show Profile  Visit Katrine's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Doc

The poem is beautiful!
Thank you for sharing it.

The pictures in your links above are....of the arc? And the woman is?

I am not very familiar with Jewish terminology - I don't know what Shekinah means. Why is it gender bound? I can't really attach the shine to any kind of knowledge .....it is what it is. It is here and now. It makes everything beautiful. What I am sure of, though, is that were it not for years of meditation and self inquiry.....I would not have been able to perceive it. The best thing ever happening to me, was the English aviator I briefly met when I was 23 (I worked as a musician and teacher in Oslo at the time)...who convinced me to take a course in meditation. Meditation has since been a diamond in my life. Had it not been for daily meditation, I would not have had the courage to face myself. To question myself. To admit to myself all the crap I am capable of when i am not aware. Meditation gave me compassion instead of guilt. It made it bareable to look at myself. I am eternally grateful to that Englishman .

I can call the shine anything....the words won't make it any more real. The menue is not the food. That is why we do AYP, is it not? Practises will take us closer and closer to the taste of a delicious meal. The meal might not be so delicious in the beginning (mine wasn't). First I needed the courage to eat. I could only take small bites at first.....then; as the stomach became capable of digesting more of it succesfully; slowly the meal kept changing. It became less heavy; more tasteful......until one day i had the first experience of a truly delicious meal. After that....nothing could go back to what it was. After all - who will dispute the rain when you are standing in it?

So. Nothing of this means anything....unless one finds out for oneself. Doubt is good. Coupled with insistant inquiry it actually becomes a vehicle. Then - when I find out for myself, the doubt dissolves too. So far; deep meditation (as in AYP) coupled with self inquiry is the best tool I know of. I am sure there are other ways; but i can only speak from my own experience.

Thanks again for the poem.
It is lovely!

Go to Top of Page

jongler

Israel
12 Posts

Posted - Mar 08 2007 :  04:39:56 AM  Show Profile  Visit jongler's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Shehinah (SH + CH'/HINAH) = when God is speaking through you, you are under the wings of God, you are a clean tool for God's will, when your will and God's are one.

"Shehinah"(n) - from the word "Shahan"(v) meaning = "To live in(a place)" but for a higher power.
Go to Top of Page

Doc

USA
394 Posts

Posted - Mar 08 2007 :  07:57:45 AM  Show Profile  Visit Doc's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
The Shekinah as Light.

The Hellenists, both Jews and Gentiles, characterized the god of the Jews as unseen, and translated the Tetragrammaton by "invisible" (#7936;#972;#961;#945;#964;#959;#962;). In like manner #7716;ag. 5b declares that "God sees, but is not seen," although was rendered by #948;#972;#950;#945; ("glory"), even in the Septuagint (Deissmann, "Hellenisirung des Semitischen Monotheismus," p. 5).

According to this view, the Shekinah appeared as physical light; so that Targ. to Num. vi. 2 says, "Yhwh shall cause His Shekinah to shine for thee."

A Gentile asked the patriarch Gamaliel (c. 100): "Thou sayest that wherever ten are gathered together the Shekinah appears; how many are there?" Gamaliel answered: "As the sun, which is but one of the countless servants of God, giveth light to all the world, so in a much greater degree doth the Shekinah" (Sanh. 39a).

The emperor (Hadrian) said to Rabbi Joshua b. Hananiah, "I desire greatly to see thy God." Joshua requested him to stand facing the brilliant summer sun, and said, "Gaze upon it." The emperor said, "I can not." "Then," said Joshua, "if thou art not able to look upon a servant of God, how much less mayest thou gaze upon the Shekinah?"(#7716;ul. 60a).

Rab Sheshet (c. 300) was blind, and could not perceive when the Shekinah appeared in the Shaf we-Yatib synagogue of Nehardea, where it rested when it was not in the synagogue at Huzal. In the former synagogue Samuel and Levi heard the sound of its approach and fled (Meg. 29a). The Shekinah tinkled like a bell (So#7789;ah 9b), while the Holy Spirit also manifested itself to human senses in light and sound.

The Holy Spirit had the form of a dove, and the Shekinah had wings. Thus he who acknowledged God took refuge under the wings of the Shekinah (Shab. 31a; Sanh. 96a); and Moses when dead lay in its pinions (Sifre, Deut. 355; So#7789;ah 13b; Targumic passages in Maybaum l.c. p. 65). The saints enjoy the light of the Shekinah in heaven (Ber. 17a, 64a; Shab. 30a; B. B. 10a).

Bibliography: Lexicons of Buxtorf, Levy, and Kohut;
Herzog-Plitt, Real-Encyc. s.v. Schechina;
Hastings, Dict. Bible, iv. 487-489;
Hamburger, R. B. T. ii. 566, 1080-1082;
Luzzatto, Oheb Ger, Vienna, 1830;
Bähr, Symbolik des Mosaischen Cultus, 2d ed., i. 471 et seq.;
Gfrörer, Gesch. des Urchristenthums, i. 272-352;
Maybaum, Anthropomorphien . . . mit Besonderer Berücksichtigung der . . . Schechintha, Breslau, 1870;
Taylor, Sayings of the Jewish Fathers, 3d ed., p. 43;
Weber, Jüdische Theologie. 2d ed., Leipsic, 1897, Index;
Dalman, Die Worte Jesu, i., Leipsic, 1898;
Bousset, Religion des Judenthums im Neu-Testamentlichen Zeitalter, pp. 309 et seq., 340, Berlin, 1903;
Davidson, Old Testament Prophecy, pp. 148, 220, Edinburgh, 1903.K. L. B.

Light to All ~

Doc
Go to Top of Page

jongler

Israel
12 Posts

Posted - Mar 08 2007 :  09:00:37 AM  Show Profile  Visit jongler's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hello Doc,

Light and sounds are just a few of the many manifestations, but sometimes in the Jewish stories one word can be translate by many ways for example: Light can be a saying for brighter seeing, clearer sight but not with the eyes but by "KNOWING" the true meanings/nature of all.
Go to Top of Page

VIL

USA
586 Posts

Posted - Mar 08 2007 :  09:22:33 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I emailed a member, here on AYP, and explained my experience of the Self being within the heart and yet, at the same time, I was able to look through my eyelids, which were closed at the time, to perceive the environment, a contradiction. Connected to the body, but not connected. The light is within and without at the same time, and yet, there is no way of determining its source of origin. It is just there. Abdul Baha calls the Kingdom, 'A place of light'.

The perception of the "shine", as Katrine calls it, is also like looking through a sheet/glass of rising vapor, as water gently ripples down and yet there is perfect clarity. Again, a contradiction, since vapor rises, yet, water falls. One would expect an obscure view, yet it is clear. Another contradiction. It's almost like opposing poles connected to form a circle of contradiction/opposites, but there is perfect harmony. It's hard to describe and I had one experience. Obviously, Katrine would know more about this, since I still perceive duality and her experience my vary.

My experience was connected to the full moon that was at perigee, on Jan 3rd, actually when the moon was closest to the earth for the year. It felt like a rebirth. Born again of 'water and spirit' and so I'm investigating the affects of the gravitational pull of the moon on the body, et al, in its relation to science/reality:

VIL

Edited by - VIL on Mar 08 2007 09:32:45 AM
Go to Top of Page

Doc

USA
394 Posts

Posted - Mar 08 2007 :  09:22:43 AM  Show Profile  Visit Doc's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi jongler:

Agreed and understood completely. Thanks for your input.

In this particular instance, however, I am attempting to relate the concept of Shekinah as the Light of God's Presence to the "shine" which Katrine wrote about here. As such, the other varied meanings of the term 'Shekinah' are not specifically as relevant to this discussion, IMO.

Light to All ~

Doc
Go to Top of Page

VIL

USA
586 Posts

Posted - Mar 08 2007 :  09:42:01 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Wonderful post, as usual, Doc:

quote:
The Shekinah tinkled like a bell

That's what it sounded like to me:

VIL
Go to Top of Page

Doc

USA
394 Posts

Posted - Mar 08 2007 :  10:09:47 AM  Show Profile  Visit Doc's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Katrine:

My take on the picture links is that the first picture is an artistic rendering of what the Divine Light of God's Presence, the Shekinah, might have looked like hovering over the Mercy Seat of the Ark of the Covenant in the Tabernacle Sanctuary of Solomon's Temple in Jerusalem during ancient times.

The second picture depicts another artist's rendering of the Shekinah as the Divine Feminine, which is implied by the feminine gender assignment of the word Shekinah, holding the Divine Light Presence out as God's gift and blessing of Spiritual Illumination to those who seek it with sincerity and devotion.

Light to All ~

Doc
Go to Top of Page

Katrine

Norway
1813 Posts

Posted - Mar 08 2007 :  4:52:04 PM  Show Profile  Visit Katrine's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Doc, Jongler, Vil

Thank you for supplying all this wonderful information

I enjoyed all your posts.

Go to Top of Page

VIL

USA
586 Posts

Posted - Mar 08 2007 :  7:47:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
And I've enjoyed your posts, as well, Katrine.

I was wondering if you remember when you had your first experience of the shine and if you could share it with us if you wouldn't mind.

Thank you:

VIL
Go to Top of Page

Doc

USA
394 Posts

Posted - Mar 08 2007 :  10:15:28 PM  Show Profile  Visit Doc's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hello everyone!

I came across some interesting pictures that may be relevant as graphic depictions of 'ecstatic radiance'. Hope you like them!

http://www.holynamemaryschool.org/images/mary.jpg

http://www.thespiritofyoga.com/Kundalini.JPG

http://www.mudrashram.com/Assets/chakras1a.jpg

And my personal favorite:

http://www.kheper.net/topics/chakras/kundalini.jpg

Light to All !

Doc

Go to Top of Page

Manipura

USA
870 Posts

Posted - Mar 09 2007 :  08:25:31 AM  Show Profile  Visit Manipura's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Wow - great visuals. Thanks Doc. Here's one of my all-time favorite paintings:

www.artchive.com/artchive/G/...wld2.jpg.html

(this one in particular showing how the light emanates from a greater Source both within and without).

Edited by - Manipura on Mar 09 2007 08:48:56 AM
Go to Top of Page

Christi

United Kingdom
4380 Posts

Posted - Mar 09 2007 :  08:37:21 AM  Show Profile  Visit Christi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Katrine,
Thanks again for the great replies.
quote:
Hi All

About the "lost-godess/saint/celestial-realms" thing....
The only discription selected from above I can honestly say I have directly experienced is...LOST. It happens all the time !

That's it, folks.
Sorry to disappoint you ]

We all are the equation (as Doc so appropriately put it). It is you who inspire the writing!

Thank you

I would have been dissapointed if you had said anything else! Your humility is your most endeering quality, and what marks you out as a true Saint. (You see... there's no escape)

But more seriously...
quote:
Do I see the shine? Yes......I don't know if this can be described properly....but I perceive the shine. Everything is chrystal clear...even the smallest rubble in the street is permeated by this....clarity. It is beautiful.....no matter what it looks like. Everything is ...tydelig (sorry...Norwegian word...means sort of explicit)....nothing is hidden. It is so clear that it is brilliant. Everything everywhere has this quality of clarity.....the unified perception of it is like everything "shines". But my eyes cannot describe the light.....cannot really see the light....only the clarity that is the result of it. Puh....umph.....how do you describe colorless light....it can't be done, really.

Beautiful description. I have seen this once also, so I know what you are talking about. It is incredibly beautiful. It sounds very much like what the Christian mystics call the Beautific Vision). It seems to have some connection with an intensely accute perception of the present moment (the Presence), and the falling away of a veil which clouds our normal vision. A silent mind is not enough to see the Shine, it feels like something else is needed? But I can't see what that is. Maybe it just comes when the time is right.
quote:
Also - the shine presents itself with different.....qualities. It is always a presence. It is a Joyous shine (like unheard laughter) sometimes, a Loving shine other times (my chest is throbbing with it) ; another time it is ....immensly Strong....an incredible Strenght that is almost too much to take...
All these always happen both "inside" and "outside" the body.....it is one homogenious field.

I understand this too from my own experience, though I think I feel it much less strongly than you do. But the Strength is there, and the Joy. My chest also throbs (expands energetically beyond my body) in a way that is hard to bear at times.
quote:
But when the shine is perceived......oh, ....; being everywhere; highlighting everything;.....then I still see all the bodies....but there are no "people" to attach them to. The shine is all. The shine is the unifying fact. The shine is the only thing real. Everything else is just....paintwork. It is like being all alone in the world - and not feel lonely at all. Everything is just as it should be. Nothing is wrong.

I'm glad I asked you about this. I see this too at times. It is like everyone and everything is being animated by a single force, or power, or intelligence. People appear as physical bodies expressing this force and acting out it's Will. And I can see at times, when my mind is silent, that I am also an expression of this Will and that my body and mind are animated by the same force/ intelligence. But this only happens on a very good day.
So it seems to me that this consciousness (collective?) can come before the Shine is seen?
Do you feel that there is a direct connection between the level of purification of the heart/ ajna/ crown chakras, and the seeing of the Shine, and of the unity of everything and everyone arround you?

Christi

Go to Top of Page

Doc

USA
394 Posts

Posted - Mar 09 2007 :  10:50:51 AM  Show Profile  Visit Doc's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Meg!

Thanks for sharing that marvelous 'Resurrection' artwork. I really like it alot, and have added it my collection. Here's three more of my favorites. Hope you like them!

http://jfls.free.fr/peintres/dagnan...t_emmaus.jpg

http://www.artgalleryoftherockies.c...rge/4387.jpg

http://www.artgalleryoftherockies.c...rge/4475.jpg

Warm regards ~

Doc

Edited by - Doc on Mar 09 2007 11:08:41 AM
Go to Top of Page

Manipura

USA
870 Posts

Posted - Mar 09 2007 :  11:33:28 AM  Show Profile  Visit Manipura's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Also nice depictions Doc, although the middle one seems off topic.

I have no idea what the 'shine' is that is being discussed. I can appreciate it as a gift that comes from a long-time commitment to purification. Is the 'ecstatic radiance' something different than the 'shine'? I understand the radiance to be That which emanates from within, and far from being a product of our own spiritual constructions. As stated so eloquently elsewhere, the radiance has nothing to do with "me". But the 'shine' is more difficult to categorize, as it is externally located and veiled from most of us. Also, I hope this isn't off topic, but is ecstatic radiance in contrast to pratyahara?
Go to Top of Page

yogani

USA
5195 Posts

Posted - Mar 09 2007 :  2:47:37 PM  Show Profile  Visit yogani's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by meg

Also nice depictions Doc, although the middle one seems off topic.

I have no idea what the 'shine' is that is being discussed. I can appreciate it as a gift that comes from a long-time commitment to purification. Is the 'ecstatic radiance' something different than the 'shine'? I understand the radiance to be That which emanates from within, and far from being a product of our own spiritual constructions. As stated so eloquently elsewhere, the radiance has nothing to do with "me". But the 'shine' is more difficult to categorize, as it is externally located and veiled from most of us. Also, I hope this isn't off topic, but is ecstatic radiance in contrast to pratyahara?

Hi Meg:

Ecstatic conductivity begins within us and radiates outward over time. As it does, it changes our perception of our surroundings. It is a refinement of sensory perception, an introversion occurring in and around us, and this is the progression of pratyahara, an expansion of the senses beyond physical to encompass the subtle celestial (revealing the shine). As it continues, even the shine (the mist of stillness) is transcended and we see we are blissful stillness (our inner silence) interpenetrating everything. The One.

So it is a progression of purification and opening, leading to ever refining grades of perception and experience. It is all one process of unfoldment, with changing scenery along the way. It is essentially the same gig of purification and opening all the way through from start to finish (if there is a finish).

A less-informed definition of pratyahara is "withdrawal from sensory perception," a denial of our sensory gifts, like denying siddhis and all of that -- essentially running away from our inherent capabilities. This is an immature view that has resulted from a long-standing inability to refine natural human capabilities. The truth is that, with sound practices, all of these aspects of our nature gradually refine over time to yield direct experience of the divine radiating within us and everywhere around us. We cannot get there by denying any aspect of our natural neurobiological functioning. Our nervous system is the doorway that joins us with the divine experience, which is our destiny. To walk though, we have to embrace the door and refine it so it may reveal its ultimate capabilities.

The guru is in you.
Go to Top of Page

Katrine

Norway
1813 Posts

Posted - Mar 09 2007 :  3:15:59 PM  Show Profile  Visit Katrine's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Vil

quote:
I was wondering if you remember when you had your first experience of the shine and if you could share it with us if you wouldn't mind.

Three incidents stand out....
1)
I am six years old.....visiting a friend of my parents.....we were going to his cabin in the forest late one winter night. We were all skiing (my parents and sisters).....and for some reason I was ahead of all the others ......sliding through the fresh snow. (I guess my parents were struggling with luggage ). ...I can still hear my skiis going "swish....swish....swish". The moon was up....the trees heavy with snow......All of a sudden my chest was filled with an extremely Joyous feeling. The shock of it made me stop and look around.....I remember feeling a loving, soothing, presence....almost like an eye...everywhere I looked, this presence was looking after me. I didn't see it; but I knew it was there. I never questioned it. It was the most natural thing ever. I was so small....but I never forgot. I never forgot the Joy. It wasn't until after the cancer, that I begun to understand what it really ment. Although I never saw the shine.....the loving presence was the same I experience now. That's why i know it really was the shine.

2)
The day I got diagnosed with cancer .....april 17th 1996.....I was walking through a little "forest" close to my house. Everything had stopped for me that day. You know how much energy is used to "spin a future" ? How much time we spend planning, fantasizing, fretting......well; all that had been abruptly taken from me. I was suddenly without a future. I didn't think of these things....I was just heartbroken....thinking about dying from my daughters (they were 4 and 7 at the time)... and with nowhere to escape. Anyway.....I looked at the trees, the fresh green leaves.....the small green sprouts everywhere.....it was incredibly beautiful. Everything was shimmering....glistening.....it was sort of a "dim" version of the shine I see today. It was exactly as if I had been wearing dark glasses all my life - and they were all of a sudden gone. I remember asking......why do I see this now; why now...when I am dying? It hurt! It was beautiful.....but there was so much pain inside. I also remember saying to myself: "This is my last incarnation! " (Which is strange...because i didn't believe in reincarnation). "I cannot bare to go through all this again. I won't suffer a painful childhood one more time. I won't play this game ever again. This is it."

3)
A few years ago - after several years of constant self inquiry (with the help of meditation, litterature, and my work with the patients at the clinic), I was in an emotional crisis concerning a situation in my life.......during this crisis i understood - for the first time - the workings of my mind. It was as if - for an instant - I "broke off" from myself....I could see myself from "outside". I had a reaction to a paragraph in a book I was reading at the time ...I saw myself react...and understood the workings of it.....and it sort of broke the shell I was in. I saw how I protected myself....how I sought pleasures.....how I avoided pain. Well.....for the first time I saw that I was truly and absolutely helpless. I could not fix my problem.....because the problem was I. I broke down....crying for a long time (my family was away for the week-end). Afterwards I was empty. I sat still. I sat in the sofa.....looking vacantly at a flower on the table in front of me. I looked......and looked again......everytime I looked I "saw" love. It was shining with love. I fell in love every time I looked at it. Within the next hour, the loving shine was everywhere I placed my eyes. Everything shone......the shine was dim compared to what I see now; but the love......the love was incredible. I thought something incredible had happend to me.....that someone outside of myself was looking after me. I thought I was "visited" by something. . The streets....walls...cars....people...it was everywhere I looked. I was constantly in love. All fear disappeared. I bathed in it for seven days in a row. Then it faded. But everything changed after that. I could not fool myself into not believing in a presence greater than......greater than everything. That doubt was forever dissolved.

About a year later.....the ecstatic experiences started (first in meditation). First locally, then all of the body, then "outside" the body.

The shine (as i perceive it now) came back as a laughter (I think I have talked about it here in the forum?). When it came back (in glimpses) it was the shine itself that was most prominent. Ie: The clarity is now the most prominent quality.
Go to Top of Page

Katrine

Norway
1813 Posts

Posted - Mar 09 2007 :  3:34:00 PM  Show Profile  Visit Katrine's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Christi

quote:
A silent mind is not enough to see the Shine, it feels like something else is needed? But I can't see what that is.

Exactly. The mind cannot see what is beyond itself. Stop trying to see it, Christi. It reveals itself when the clouds dissolve.....it is like a see through glass; the quiet mind; if clear...the light will shine through. But the shine is not in the mind - the mind is in it. Keep meditating. Keep letting awareness do its work.

quote:
Do you feel that there is a direct connection between the level of purification of the heart/ ajna/ crown chakras, and the seeing of the Shine, and of the unity of everything and everyone arround you?

You know....I don't really analyze things that way anymore. I used to - but now I don't. I know it works. The shine makes me trust the process. I never think about the purification anymore. I leave it to itself. But if you are asking whether i think this has anything to do with doing practises (in my case that is deep meditation and self inquiry) then

YES.
YES.
And yes again.
Go to Top of Page

VIL

USA
586 Posts

Posted - Mar 09 2007 :  3:47:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you, Katrine, for sharing your beautiful experience:

VIL
Go to Top of Page

Christi

United Kingdom
4380 Posts

Posted - Mar 10 2007 :  05:57:23 AM  Show Profile  Visit Christi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Katrine,
Thanks for the reply.
quote:

Exactly. The mind cannot see what is beyond itself. Stop trying to see it, Christi. It reveals itself when the clouds dissolve.....it is like a see through glass; the quiet mind; if clear...the light will shine through. But the shine is not in the mind - the mind is in it. Keep meditating. Keep letting awareness do its work.

I wasn't actually trying to see the Shine. I know that mental effort (or any other kind of effort) won't work for that. But of course if someone said, "Oh yea, all you have to do is this... it's easy..." I would do it. Actually I have hardly thought about it since the last time I saw it many years ago. It's funny that... that something absolutely incredible happens to us, and then we hardly give it another thought. I guess we think about the things that the people around us are talking about, and noone has ever mentioned this to me before you brought it up on this forum. So thanks for reminding me about it. I also don't try to feel the radiance eminating from me (although as Yogani pointed out, they are two aspects of the same unfolding process). But other people feel it, and that's when I became concerned... for them. Of course if the Advaitists are right (thread going on elsewhere at the moment), there might not be any other people to be concerned about!
Great reading about your memories/ experiences by the way. Thanks again.

Christi
Go to Top of Page

emc

2072 Posts

Posted - Mar 10 2007 :  07:18:33 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
May I ask if the ecstatic radiance that develops is related in any way to the words "inner sensuality" that is used in samyama?

Has ecstatic radiance anything to do with OUTER sensuality and sexual attraction?

Has the samyama inner sensuality anything to do with developing OUTER sensuality and sexual attraction in a "samsara" style?

Edited by - emc on Mar 10 2007 07:24:58 AM
Go to Top of Page

Manipura

USA
870 Posts

Posted - Mar 10 2007 :  07:33:27 AM  Show Profile  Visit Manipura's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
E - We're traveling on the same wavelength, as my question about pratyahara was very similar (see above). I too am interested in inner sensuality (pratyahara) and its external ramifications. Yogani's response was very good. It seems to me that as far as embodying the radiance is concerned, the best thing we can do is to step out of the way and let the light shine through. There's nothing to attain, accomplish, or develop; rather, it's a matter of emptying oneself of every crumb of identity, so that the Light may radiate, shine, or do whatever it chooses.
Go to Top of Page

ajna

India
59 Posts

Posted - Mar 10 2007 :  07:55:46 AM  Show Profile  Visit ajna's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Christi

Christi

Hi Christi and All

I have something to share here. Few months back i had written about my "third eye" (??) experiences in the link

http://www.aypsite.org/forum/topic....OPIC_ID=1758

After that in the last few months i have started seeing a "shine" in everything i see. The shine has a golden hue. This is very similar to what Gopi Krishna had experienced. Excerpts from his book "Autobiography of a spiritual genius" pasted below for reference

There is a particular reason that has led me to this conclusion. Shortly after the night of horror, when I hovered between death on the one side and insanity on the other, and was saved from an awful fate by what was almost a miracle, I noticed a rather disquieting change in my observation. It seemed as if every object on which I looked was coated with a thin layer of white.
This did not affect the colour or the shape of the object. Only, it appeared as if a very thin coat of powdered chalk had been applied over it. The colour was there with a fine coat of white added to it. I noticed the strange alteration in the state of my vision but could not assign any reason, for I wondered within myself, and even worried over it at times, but, try as I might, I could not find any satisfactory explanation for the change.

The chalky appearance of all the objects at which I looked provided the first indication to show that a change had occurred in my cognitive apparatus. I was not at all able to account for it and, at first, treated it as the result of some fault in my organs of sight. But when this type of vision became a habitual sight to me -month after month and year after year - it slowly dawned upon me that it was not the eyes nor the optic nerve but the observer behind the optic centre which was interpreting the impressions coming through my eyes in this way.

There is an article in Pravda site
(http://english.pravda.ru/main/18/90...hirdeye.html)
which talks about certain people projecting images from their third eye area in the forehead. These images can be seen by the physical eyes of the projecting person but not others. But per this article these images are capturable in a photo film embedded inside the forehead. Iam also projecting various images as described in this article. I wouldn't have believed this article if i had not experienced it myself. BTW this was found in few Russians. No wonder, as Russia and China are the countries associated with Ajna chakra (like colors, countries are also associated with various chakras. There is detailed info available in http://www.sahajayoga.ca/ChakraPresentation)

This is the kind of "shine" (more of physiological and less of spiritual, if you could say that) i have experienced so far. Hope this helps.

Cheers
Go to Top of Page

emc

2072 Posts

Posted - Mar 10 2007 :  08:47:37 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Ah, thanks meg, I am not familiar with the sanskrit terms, and seldom bother to look them up. I just sort of miss the messages when too many sanskrit terms are used.

I find much of the thread being about perception and experience of the world, not how people perceive a person with much ecstatic radiance. The persons I have met who have come far have no special sensuality around them that I would say is extraordinary. On the contrary, they have been very skilled in being able to control the sexual/sensual quality of energy they spread around them, almost giving a feeling of being totally neutral. They have no need to be sensual or sexy in clothing or behaviour.

The reason I wonder is because in for example one kind of Osho mediation I have learned that they have one practice that aims at "letting your sensuality loose". In groups they start behaving sensually toward eachother, and I wonder if that is a misconception from Osho himself or perhaps more likely, his followers, or if such "outer" practices in sensuality really increase your "inner sensuality"? Or perhaps the practice has a totally different aim? I feel an intuitive repulsion against such practices, feeling it is something that would rather give a kick from the "outer world", strenghtening the notion that "I can only get some "feel good"-feelings with help from the outside - I don't have it in myself", and additionally add to fixation of input from outer senses or dependency on other's energies.

Edited by - emc on Mar 10 2007 08:50:50 AM
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000