AYPsite.org Forum
 Discussions on AYP Pranayama, Mudras and Bandhas
 fine tuning help please...
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Chard

250 Posts

Posted - Feb 17 2007 :  5:53:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hello everyone!
I'm so grateful to have the Spinal Breathing Pranayama book! I just began reading it yesterday and OOPS I don't think I've been following the techniques as appropriately as possible...
some history first- I had previously done spinal breathing a while back and was not self-pacing appropriately. I was feeling electricity surging through my body almost 24/7 and intense emotions I've never experienced. So drawing from that experience I self-paced by starting from the beginning with doing just Deep Meditation 20 min. AM, 20 min. PM and reading the Deep Meditation book so that I was sure I was doing the techniques appropriately. Everything was smooth sailing. I was feeling very normal and calm (hey, I miss that stage!!) so I felt it was time to begin spinal breathing. I emailed Yogani just to confirm that it wasn't too early to begin. So I began VERY slowly cause I know about my tendency for energy inbalances with spinal breathing. I started with just 3 spinal breaths. But I was doing yogic breathing (that's natural for me so it's no problem) and ujjai breathing with it during spinal breathing and here we go again. My energy has been doing backflips and swirling around, sexual arousal and I haven't been sleeping. It's nothing like it was before but still more than is comfortable. So here I am trying to fine tune my self-pacing. So I was reading in the Spinal Breathing Book about ujjai and Yogic Breathing being additions that are meant for later not immediately -oops. So now I thought about tracing the spinal nerve with just yogic breathing (that shouldn't be a problem) with no ujjai. I hope this makes a difference. I just wonder for how long I should do the spinal breathing?? The book says start with 5 minutes but I think that'll be too much. So does Yogani or anyone have feedback on any of this and could this little addition be the cause of the imbalances. I'm also keeping in mind how to ground the energies outside of meditation (exercise, etc)
Hey, regardless of enlightenment, this is such a wonderful practice in learning about and being in touch with your body, don't cha think?? Thank you all for your support

sadhak

India
604 Posts

Posted - Feb 18 2007 :  01:28:34 AM  Show Profile  Visit sadhak's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Chard,
Welcome to the self-pacing club! Some people are very sensitive to the practices and therefore, cut back as much as you need to, to feel comfortable. I think you're doing right with shaving off the ujjai now. You can add it later. After a few weeks of feeling calm, centred and blanced is the right time to tentatively add another layer.

A bit of 'chunkiness' when adding something on is normal... you arrive at the right balance by backing off a bit, adding in tiny increments and staying with it.

Some good things are hard to resist, and I still feel the need to pay special attention to self-pacing. As Yogani repeatedly points out, there's a tendency to overdo. But boy, these practices are loaded!

Good to keep going through the books repeatedly. Each time I find something I glossed over and make a note of it.

Keep posting at the forum... you'll find lots of inputs coming in, and lots of it to give the others too. Happy meditating!
Go to Top of Page

Chard

250 Posts

Posted - Feb 18 2007 :  08:40:56 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Sadhak, That was helpful. Yeah, I shaved off the ujjai while meditating last night and I did a minute of spinal breathing with yogic breathing and it seemed fine so I'll plan to continue that. Its hard to cut back when you really just want to race ahead with these practices, not to mention having to constantly pull way back on the bhakti so its manageable enough for me to go on with my daily living. It's like taming a wild horse! But thanks I really appreciate the feedback. I think it's smart for me to stay very closely tied to this forum when I'm in the process of adjusting my practices so you'll probably be hearing alot from me! Be well!
Go to Top of Page

blujett8

USA
47 Posts

Posted - Feb 18 2007 :  09:48:54 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
hi chard

you are not alone !

I do 2-3 mins of spinal breathing twice a day or sometimes only once, most times with only a very gentle breath and my energy plate is full ! any more and I'm on the edge in a not good way....SO congradulations with your realizations re self-pacing !
peace
Heather
Go to Top of Page

Chard

250 Posts

Posted - Feb 20 2007 :  12:47:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Heather! Just wanted to give an update... I've been doing actually 2 min. of spinal breathing with no ujjai and I've been fine (my energy's been alot calmer) except for the fact that my sleeping is still not that good. I've been waking up at 5am then it's hard to go back to sleep. But anyway, so I've been trying to trace the spine from the root to the crown and although I can visualize both the root and crown, it's the in between part that's tough. I feel like I'm this drunk person trying to to walk a straight line from the root to the crown! I'm all over the place! It was easier to trace the spine with the ujjai, but I guess with time it'll be easier...??
Go to Top of Page

weaver

832 Posts

Posted - Feb 20 2007 :  2:01:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
I've been trying to trace the spine from the root to the crown and although I can visualize both the root and crown, it's the in between part that's tough. I feel like I'm this drunk person trying to to walk a straight line from the root to the crown!

Hi Chard,

Just a reminder that in AYP we do not trace the path between root and crown, it is between root and ajna that we trace in spinal breathing. See also AYP Lesson 41: http://www.aypsite.org/41.html

This is very important, since going to the crown can cause instability and energy overloads.

Go to Top of Page

Chard

250 Posts

Posted - Feb 20 2007 :  4:13:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
oops, i meant ajna. that's what i've been doing
Go to Top of Page

weaver

832 Posts

Posted - Feb 20 2007 :  5:42:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
OK Chard, good to hear!
Go to Top of Page

zzzMonster

Singapore
38 Posts

Posted - Sep 02 2007 :  7:34:43 PM  Show Profile  Visit zzzMonster's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Help, I cant seems to master Yogic Breathing. I need to concentrate to pull down my diaphram and thus is not focusing on the spinal root
Go to Top of Page

yogani

USA
5195 Posts

Posted - Sep 03 2007 :  11:19:51 AM  Show Profile  Visit yogani's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Monster:

Yogic breathing is essentially "belly breathing." No attention on the diaphragm is necessary. And yogic breathing is not a prerequisite for spinal breathing, which can be done with our normal breathing slowed down a bit. It is suggested to keep it simple, and not try and take on too much at once. All things in their own time.

All the best!

The guru is in you.
Go to Top of Page

zzzMonster

Singapore
38 Posts

Posted - Sep 03 2007 :  10:24:37 PM  Show Profile  Visit zzzMonster's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Yogani,thanks for replying.

I have been doing plain Spinal Breathing with restraint of breath for 3 weeks. What do you consider as comfortable ? Is it suppose to be as comfortable as meditation ? I am doing Pranayama and Meditation with no back support because back support cause me to have neck and shoulder ache. However,no back support is causing my feet that tuck in my thighs to cramp,also once in a while I must remind myself to sit with my back straight

Confused
Edmund
Go to Top of Page

yogani

USA
5195 Posts

Posted - Sep 04 2007 :  07:52:21 AM  Show Profile  Visit yogani's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Edmund:

It is suggested to do everything comfortably. Then the next steps will present themselves at the best time. If we are struggling with our body all the time, it will not be ideal. Just relax.

Developing our practice routine is a balance between bhakti (spiritual desire) and self-pacing for progress and comfort. Only you can know when the right time is for you to take a next step. If there is discomfort beyond minor adjustments, then you are probably rushing things.

Three weeks in spinal breathing might be okay for some to add an enhancement, but too short for others. If you are not comfortable in your practice, it is probably too short. Sitting without back support is not a prerequisite for the AYP practices. If it works for you and is comfortable, fine, but if it is challenging, it is okay to use pillows on the bed, or a chair. It is presumed everyone knows how to sit down comfortably somewhere. Do that.

Remember, Rome was not built in a day. It takes years (maybe decades) to build a full yoga routine, while mastering self-pacing along the way. Learning to make choices on practices and managing them effectively is what the game is all about. Once we have become adept at that, there is no limit to how far we can travel. Our possibilities are infinite, but it takes some time, you know.

There used to be a time when just finding effective practices was a major challenge. Now we are moving beyond that into the integration and management of many powerful practices. These days, it is about developing driving skills.

Drive well, and enjoy the ride!

The guru is in you.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000