Asanas - Postures and Physical Culture
 Products for supporting yogic practices
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

zenflesh

United Kingdom
20 Posts

Posted - Feb 01 2023 :  6:27:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hello fellow seekers,

As a designer and practitioner of yoga, I am driven to address the limitations of current products available for yogic practices. An example of this is the use of prosthetics for the Siddhasana posture. I would appreciate any insights into the challenges faced by yogis to achieve anything in yogic practices which would have been easier with the invention of certain products. I look forward to hearing your responses

Thanks so much

Nancinudillo

Mexico
5 Posts

Posted - Jun 20 2023 :  11:41:24 PM  Show Profile  Visit Nancinudillo's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
As a designer and practitioner of yoga, it is admirable that you wish to address the limitations of the current products available for yogic practices. Although most yoga practices do not require the use of external products, there are certain challenges that could benefit from innovations designed specifically for yoga. Here are some examples of common challenges yogis face and how they could be solved with improved products:

Postural Support: Many yoga poses require good balance and body alignment. Some people may have difficulties due to injuries, lack of flexibility, or weakness in certain areas of the body. It would be useful to develop products that provide additional support, such as pads or adjustable support devices, that help maintain proper alignment and prevent injury during practice.

Stability in balancing poses: Balancing poses, such as Tree (Vrksasana) or Warrior III (Virabhadrasana III), can be challenging for many yogis. A stability-enhancing product, such as a non-slip base with extra foot grip or an adjustable balance surface, could be beneficial in helping practitioners hold these poses more easily and safely.

Comfort in Seated Pose: Many meditation and pranayama practices involve prolonged sitting poses, such as Siddhasana or Padmasana. Some people may experience discomfort or tightness in their hips, knees, or ankles due to lack of flexibility or injury. Developing ergonomic products, such as meditation cushions with custom shapes and padding, could help yogis maintain a comfortable and stable sitting posture for longer periods.

Proper Alignment in Stretching Poses: Achieving proper alignment in deep stretching poses can be challenging, especially for beginners or those with physical limitations. Support tools, such as adjustable yoga straps with alignment markers or tilt locks designed specifically for different postures, could help yogis achieve more precise alignment and fully benefit from stretching.

It is important to note that yoga is about individual practice and the mind-body connection, and is not simply about achieving perfect postures. However, the enhancement of available products and accessories can provide additional support to yogis, especially those facing physical challenges or seeking to refine their practice.

Remember that, as a designer, it is essential to research and understand the needs of yogis in depth, consult with experienced yoga teachers and practice on your own to understand the challenges in first person. In this way, you will be able to develop products that truly meet the needs of the yoga community. Good luck with your design projects and yoga practice!
Go to Top of Page

Wil

Sweden
150 Posts

Posted - Aug 19 2023 :  02:12:08 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Nancinudillo

As a designer and practitioner of yoga, it is admirable that you wish to address the limitations of the current products available for yogic practices. Although most yoga practices do not require the use of external products, there are certain challenges that could benefit from innovations designed specifically for yoga. Here are some examples of common challenges yogis face and how they could be solved with improved products:

Postural Support: Many yoga poses require good balance and body alignment. Some people may have difficulties due to injuries, lack of flexibility, or weakness in certain areas of the body. It would be useful to develop products that provide additional support, such as pads or adjustable support devices, that help maintain proper alignment and prevent injury during practice.

Stability in balancing poses: Balancing poses, such as Tree (Vrksasana) or Warrior III (Virabhadrasana III), can be challenging for many yogis. A stability-enhancing product, such as a non-slip base with extra foot grip or an adjustable balance surface, could be beneficial in helping practitioners hold these poses more easily and safely.

Comfort in Seated Pose: Many meditation and pranayama practices involve prolonged sitting poses, such as Siddhasana or Padmasana. Some people may experience discomfort or tightness in their hips, knees, or ankles due to lack of flexibility or injury. Developing ergonomic products, such as meditation cushions with custom shapes and padding, could help yogis maintain a comfortable and stable sitting posture for longer periods.

Proper Alignment in Stretching Poses: Achieving proper alignment in deep stretching poses can be challenging, especially for beginners or those with physical limitations. Support tools, such as adjustable yoga straps with alignment markers or tilt locks designed specifically for different postures, could help yogis achieve more precise alignment and fully benefit from stretching.

It is important to note that yoga is about individual practice and the mind-body connection, and is not simply about achieving perfect postures. However, the enhancement of available products and accessories can provide additional support to yogis, especially those facing physical challenges or seeking to refine their practice.

Remember that, as a designer, it is essential to research and understand the needs of yogis in depth, consult with experienced yoga teachers and practice on your own to understand the challenges in first person. In this way, you will be able to develop products that truly meet the needs of the yoga community. Good luck with your design projects and yoga practice!

^
Go to Top of Page

Wil

Sweden
150 Posts

Posted - Aug 19 2023 :  02:22:38 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by zenflesh

Hello fellow seekers,

As a designer and practitioner of yoga, I am driven to address the limitations of current products available for yogic practices. An example of this is the use of prosthetics for the Siddhasana posture. I would appreciate any insights into the challenges faced by yogis to achieve anything in yogic practices which would have been easier with the invention of certain products. I look forward to hearing your responses

Thanks so much

Hi dear Zenflesh,

I like the thought bubble. The only 'product' I can think of is some type of chair that enables one to sit on ones heel or in half lotus easily. Slightly forward bent in my opinion as I'm tired of all the 'lean back-chairs' everywhere. :)

EDIT:

I now see that you posted in February... Well, food for the forum.

Edited by - Wil on Aug 19 2023 11:24:31 AM
Go to Top of Page

kensbikes100

USA
192 Posts

Posted - Nov 16 2023 :  10:48:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hello, Wil,

In cycling saddles, one wants to have teh sitbones supported with stability and with low presure to tissues where norves or blood vessels may be compressed. As a long-time cycist I'm somewhat familiar with this problem, but not at the level of a qualified product designer, at least if the concept contains no electronics(!). My suspicion is that a "meditation and pranayama saddle" could enable a lot more comfort sitting in Siddhasana or Lotus pose for a significant length of time.

kensbikes100
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000