Asanas - Postures and Physical Culture
 Asanas and Weight Loss ?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Apkallu

France
108 Posts

Posted - Jul 23 2015 :  10:32:57 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hello All,

I started Asanas 4 months ago with Samyama (after two months of Pranayama/DM) and it seems to me this is the exact time when I started losing weight.

I was a muscular 6 feet and 84kgs man, but I have now lost 5 kgs and lost much weight in muscles since then.

Obviously, I am not that hungry anymore and have to force myself eating. As "Food is King" for muscles, this must be the main reason.

But I also suspect prana (that I first felt 4 months ago) to burn everything inside and especially to greatly increase my metabolism thus burning fat and muscles ?!

In the meantime, all these gaz in the cauldron do not help my belly whatever I melted a lot of stuff...

What can I do to gain muscles again ?
I imagine it does no good to struggle against what yoga is doing which should be btw, a good thing (ie getting thinner)

The funny thing is that my strength increased pretty much in the mean time

BlueRaincoat

United Kingdom
1730 Posts

Posted - Jul 23 2015 :  11:00:25 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Apkallu

Sounds like you're shaping up nicely.
Since your strength is increasing, your muscles must be in very good shape. Are you working out as well as doing asanas?

By the way, why do you want bulky muscles? (just wondering)
Go to Top of Page

Apkallu

France
108 Posts

Posted - Jul 23 2015 :  11:40:17 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by BlueRaincoat

By the way, why do you want bulky muscles? (just wondering)

EGO stuff I know
But I like being muscular, I feel great like this and it is especially useful for my weekend homeworks (cutting wood, lifting heavy things, etc.)

So I do work out 5 times (light sessions) a week to be in shape but not looking like huge muscular guys either
Go to Top of Page

BlueRaincoat

United Kingdom
1730 Posts

Posted - Jul 23 2015 :  3:10:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I don't know if this is going to be any help, but I don't think everyone likes bulky muscles. I don't particularly appreciate them (one example). I may be too far gone down the yoga way, but the image a culturist's body brings to my mind is a scene from a film called "The silent Flute" - slender guy fighting with his (well disciplined) mind, thrashes this other guy who was just a large pack of muscles. Moral: There are better ways to spend your time than growing biceps.

In the end it's a matter of taste I suppose.
Go to Top of Page

kumar ul islam

United Kingdom
791 Posts

Posted - Jul 23 2015 :  4:07:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Before yoga chop wood and fetch water ,after yoga chop wood rest and look at the clouds then fetch water drink and wonder how the water came into being
Go to Top of Page

Apkallu

France
108 Posts

Posted - Jul 29 2015 :  11:30:59 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by BlueRaincoat

I don't know if this is going to be any help, but I don't think everyone likes bulky muscles. I don't particularly appreciate them (one example). I may be too far gone down the yoga way, but the image a culturist's body brings to my mind is a scene from a film called "The silent Flute" - slender guy fighting with his (well disciplined) mind, thrashes this other guy who was just a large pack of muscles. Moral: There are better ways to spend your time than growing biceps.

In the end it's a matter of taste I suppose.

I would not say being 5.10 feet tall and weighting 185 pounds is having bulky muscles
Practicing the "Systema" russian martial art, I do know bulky muscles are far from being efficient in street fighting
Go to Top of Page

Meeraj

India
1 Posts

Posted - Sep 15 2015 :  02:07:56 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Well, Apkallu, coming back to your problem, you think that after doing asanas, you started losing your weight. Here I want to bring your attention towards a fact that yoga helps you building stamina and strengthening your core body. It is just your assumption that ever since you started doing it, you began to lose you weight.

Trust me, you are just shredding extra flab from your body as pranayama helps the yogi to shred extra flab.

Go to Top of Page

Holy

796 Posts

Posted - Oct 08 2015 :  6:58:34 PM  Show Profile  Visit Holy's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Apkallu,

don't worry prana does not burn your muscles away :D Your body can be in good shape, be flexible and pranically vibrant at the same time. This is also how the human body loves to be. But if decreased hunger did reduce your muscles and you feel unhappy about it, means if your body is unhappy with it, then try adding more proteins to your diet together with some carbs. After some weeks to months when the body is happy, you can decrease the carbs to normal levels and keep the proteins.

But if you are healthy, strong and your body is happy, then let it flow the way it happens :)

Happy practice and workout friend ;)
Go to Top of Page

Apkallu

France
108 Posts

Posted - Nov 10 2015 :  07:55:10 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Meeraj and Holy.

I quit smoking 9 days ago and that should help too ;)
Go to Top of Page

Ecdyonurus

Switzerland
479 Posts

Posted - Nov 10 2015 :  10:44:46 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Apkallu. Congratulations for quitting smoking!! My wife did 9 years ago, never smoke a cigatte since, does not feel any urge to smoke again even when other people smoke around her. And she smoked A LOT.
Go to Top of Page

Apkallu

France
108 Posts

Posted - Dec 08 2015 :  07:22:33 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Ecdyonurus,

I am pretty sure you have the same name on Insight Timer ;)
I am "Laurent"
Go to Top of Page

Ecdyonurus

Switzerland
479 Posts

Posted - Dec 08 2015 :  09:09:50 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Apkallu, yes, I use the same nickname in the yoga websites and apps that I use.

I checked "Laurent" in Insight Timer and found about 60... ehich one are you? :-)
Go to Top of Page

lalow33

USA
966 Posts

Posted - Dec 08 2015 :  11:00:43 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Kundalini awakening caused a rapid 15lb wt. loss initially, but I've gained it back over a year or two. No worries.
Go to Top of Page

Rae

8 Posts

Posted - Sep 11 2016 :  3:21:18 PM  Show Profile  Visit Rae's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Apkallu

Hello All,

I started Asanas 4 months ago with Samyama (after two months of Pranayama/DM) and it seems to me this is the exact time when I started losing weight.

Which Asanas did you do?
Go to Top of Page

kensbikes100

USA
192 Posts

Posted - Feb 14 2017 :  06:25:51 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Rae

quote:
Originally posted by Apkallu

Hello All,

Which Asanas did you do?

I'm curious about that, too! I've found asanas to give strength and flexibility, but not to accelerate weight loss.
Go to Top of Page

Ecdyonurus

Switzerland
479 Posts

Posted - Feb 14 2017 :  07:35:08 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
IMO yoga asanas, when well designed, can help bring balance (back) in the body. For someone who is overweight this will lead to losing weight until balance is achieved. A skinny, weak guy will experience muscle growth because that' what he needs. In my case, asana practice had a huge impact on posture because that's where I was out of balance, but my weight is unchanged.
Go to Top of Page

kensbikes100

USA
192 Posts

Posted - May 12 2017 :  06:42:32 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Ecdyonurus, this is very interesting; a set (or a sequence?) of asanas that better promote weight loss! Can you share it? Or can we talk about it off-line?
Go to Top of Page

Lobsteroid

Australia
4 Posts

Posted - Oct 15 2017 :  12:08:27 PM  Show Profile  Visit Lobsteroid's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Okay, this is something to study.
Go to Top of Page

aguacate

Germany
44 Posts

Posted - Oct 16 2017 :  8:33:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Last year I started with daily Pranayama. My (kundalini-)energy went up and I had troubles to keep my weight and not become underweight.

After a few months it went back to normal for me.

It seems it happened to a few people on the forums:

https://www.aypsite.org/forum/topic...ayama,weight

https://www.aypsite.org/forum/topic...ayama,weight

Edited by - aguacate on Oct 16 2017 8:35:16 PM
Go to Top of Page

kateyoga

Belarus
1 Posts

Posted - May 07 2019 :  8:23:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Wow that's something new. An Asana that accelerate weight loss? I am curious
Go to Top of Page

Blanche

USA
859 Posts

Posted - Jun 12 2019 :  06:51:23 AM  Show Profile  Visit Blanche's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Kateyoga,

Looking at the answers in this thread, it seems that people experienced weight loss through a combination of asana practice, spinal breathing, meditation, and samyama. Spiritual practices offer some physical activity, but they also possibly change the metabolism and the relationship with food and eating, as they provide an alternative way of managing the body, the emotions, and the mind.
Go to Top of Page

Umang

India
27 Posts

Posted - Mar 24 2020 :  11:34:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi all.

I used to weigh 78 kg(before starting AYP) and now i weigh 53 kg. I lost 25 kg in about 18 months and more importantly the loss is permanent. However, that is not the only thing i lost. I lost depression also. I believe the effects come from a combination of all the practices. Obesity is an issue, not only of the body but also of the mind. That is why yoga is an important contributor. We all have experienced that it works at all the levels. It is our nature to look for one particular practice that can heal our situation, and of course if that practice is postures, we want the name of specific postures that will work. But, i could only get rid of my problem with the combination of all the AYP practices including the asana routine with some simple exercises.
Hi apkallu,
As far as muscles are concerned, postures and light calisthenics are enough if you do not want big muscles. If you want a good physique with overall strength and agility, i recommend a book by Pavel tsatsouline, Kettlebell simple and sinister. There are other books also. You may study the works of Pavel, Paul wade and others. Avoid training with machines. Consider using simple tools like kettlebells and gymnastic rings to build functional strength and endurance.
Go to Top of Page

Nancinudillo

Mexico
5 Posts

Posted - Jun 20 2023 :  11:46:47 PM  Show Profile  Visit Nancinudillo's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
It is great that you have started your Asana practice and experienced changes in your body and energy through yoga. However, it's important to address your concerns about losing weight and losing muscle mass.

It is true that yoga can have an impact on body weight and metabolism, but everyone is different and may experience different results. Yoga, in combination with a balanced diet, can help maintain a healthy weight and promote fat burning. However, yoga itself is unlikely to significantly burn muscle.

If your goal is to increase muscle mass, there are a few things you can consider:

Adequate nutrition: Make sure you consume enough calories and nutrients to maintain and develop your muscles. Opt for protein-rich foods like lean meat, fish, legumes, nuts, and dairy products. Also, include complex carbohydrates and healthy fats in your diet to get the energy you need for workouts.

Strength training: In addition to practicing yoga, consider adding strength training exercises to your routine. This can include weight lifting, body weight exercises, Pilates, or any other form of exercise that helps you build and strengthen your muscles.

Variation in yoga practice: If your goal is to gain muscle mass, you can incorporate poses and sequences that specifically work on strength and muscle tone. Look into yoga classes that focus on power, dynamic Vinyasa, or even consider working with a yoga teacher to tailor your practice to your goals.

Remember that yoga is a holistic practice that involves mind, body and spirit. It's not just about physical changes, but also about cultivating a deeper connection with yourself. Maintain a balanced attitude towards your practice and be kind to yourself at every stage of your journey. If you have additional concerns about your health or any physical changes, it is always advisable to consult a qualified health professional.
Go to Top of Page

kensbikes100

USA
192 Posts

Posted - Jul 31 2023 :  5:42:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Our Iyengar teacher at times emphasizes the aerobics of the asanas, and at times the isometrics and skeletal-building of yoga. We'll do a lot of deep lunge positions holding them up to a minute each. I think we used to hold them longer but then I started counting while in them. Sun Salute has many weigh-bearing positions, as do "simple" things, even Tadasana. That 90 minute sessions once or twice weekly) plus walking and cycling are helping me feel lean and limber, and to be able to lift and work more easily. I really didn't lose any weight without managing my eating a little better. But Iyengar Yoga Asanas, with stable alignment in what are usually not easy postures, held for a significantly long time, certainly improves my strength. With repetitive Surya Namaste, my shoulders and upper body are certainly building.

Currently my physical goal is to get down from 205# to about 150. Four months ago I was 205, now I'm about 185#.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000