AYPsite.org Forum
 Discussions on AYP Pranayama, Mudras and Bandhas
 Spinal Breathing in Siddhasana
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

anub3

1 Posts

Posted - Jan 05 2007 :  12:42:03 PM  Show Profile  Visit anub3's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
I have been practicing Yoga, Pranayama and Meditation for a few years now. Up till now I practiced Lom-Anulom with Kumbhaka, Kapalabhatti and Bahaya Kumbhaka in my practice, after which I would sit in meditation.
I have currently started sitting in Siddhasana (advanced) and have started spinal breathing in it. I wish to add Bahaya Kumbhaka (after exhalation doing the 3 bandhas) in it. Will this be a deeper (advanced) pranayama practice for me than what I have been doing so far? Do I need to do the other practices of pranayama with it? Is it also ok to add yoni mudra in this pranayama?

I did experience a thundering vibration in my whole body when I was sleeping one night (a year ago. I was woken up by my spouse because of that, but I did remember the body shaking fully. When I got out of bed to go to the bathroom, I realised that my neck on the left side was v. stiff. I went back to bed soon after. My question being: Was that Kundalini movement and if so, did it travel back down to the base or is it somewhere near my neck?
I would love to have light on these topics.

yogani

USA
5195 Posts

Posted - Jan 05 2007 :  2:27:53 PM  Show Profile  Visit yogani's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Note: Topic moved for better placement.
Go to Top of Page

yogani

USA
5195 Posts

Posted - Jan 05 2007 :  2:55:04 PM  Show Profile  Visit yogani's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Anub3 and welcome!

Somehow your post ended up in the administrator announcements forum, which is supposed to be locked -- not sure what happened there -- tech glitch. That is why your post was moved.

Make sure to take plenty of time between add-ons in practice -- not days, but weeks or months. In some cases it can take years to fully stabilze a new practice element. And do take practices in a logical order. In the AYP lessons we attempt to lay out a logical order. Not sure how you got advanced siddhasana in front of (or coincident with) beginning spinal breathing, if that is what is happening. Maybe you are utilizing other teachings too?

Kumbhaka is especially powerful for stimulating kundalini awaking (yes, that is what it was/is), and it should be undertaken only when our practices and experiences are well-established and stable. If you are prone to having big energy surges, be careful about adding too many additional aggressive practices. All things in good time.

You look to be very much on the right track with bhakti, and with a willingness to act, which is essential. What you need now is a solid grounding in the principles and practices of self-pacing so you can stay on the fast track. Ironically, the more we rush into practices, the slower we can end up going if the energies get out of hand, which they are bound to when pursuing the path of "reckless abandon."

As I often say: "Blasting through does not work."

There are more than a few folks around here who can share very relevant first hand experiences with you. We have a pretty good knowledge-base here for what you are doing and going through.

Wishing you all the best on your path. Enjoy!

The guru is in you.
Go to Top of Page

Victor

USA
910 Posts

Posted - Jan 05 2007 :  9:34:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
welcome anub!
In my experience after practicing traditional pranayama for decades I would say that the best direction to go as far as AYP is to work on incorporating kechari mudra and the chin pump practices rather than external breath retentions during pranayama. It has been my experience that traditional jalandhara created a certain type of neck block or tension that the chin pump done slowly and mindfully practiced relieved greatly and kechari completes the energetic circuit. Of course doing uddiyana bandha and nauli with empty lungs is a very good practice but in my opinion I would keep it seperate from pranayama proper
Go to Top of Page

Richard

United Kingdom
857 Posts

Posted - Jan 06 2007 :  08:36:26 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Welcome to the forum Anub3

Richard
Go to Top of Page

SaiShakti

USA
2 Posts

Posted - Jan 06 2007 :  5:03:46 PM  Show Profile  Visit SaiShakti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you Yogani for your detailed response. Thank you Victor and Richard for your acknowledgements...
Yes, I am doing Bhakti Yoga (since childhood days in India), Jnana Yoga (childhood and now), Karma Yoga (only in childhood primarily), Hatha Yoga for few years, v. devoted to it and now presently with intense Pranayama and Meditation am touching Tantra Yoga though I am not practicing Tantra in my life. I have become v. open to understanding the Tantric ways of evolutionary cycle. It took me a long journey to truly understand it without looking for an explaination.

I wish to keep my practice simple but intense enough to be totally present in the moment and at all times. yes...I am pacing myself though sometimes there is an urgency from within to go further...further in what? I still have to feel that.
Victor, I have not done Kechari ever and will read more in the AYP to go into it. Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts and write too..
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000