Discussions on AYP Deep Meditation and Samyama
 what kind of meditation?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Manipura

USA
870 Posts

Posted - Dec 26 2006 :  12:31:38 PM  Show Profile  Visit Manipura's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
I'm looking to join a meditation group/community - the bricks and mortar, flesh and blood type. I don't know much about the different kinds of meditation, so I was hoping to get some advice about which type is closest to what we do here at AYP. I prefer one that doesn't have a belief system attached to it. Any suggestions? What about Insight Meditation - does anyone know anything about that? Thanks for any input.

Sparkle

Ireland
1457 Posts

Posted - Dec 26 2006 :  8:39:27 PM  Show Profile  Visit Sparkle's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Meg
I'm sure you have thought about starting an AYP group.

I started one recently and have been very surprised at how well it is going.
A few friends just meet up in each other's houses each week. These friends are not internet users and don't really have an inclination that way, but are very happy to come to the weekly session. It also is a great boost for me, and the group energy is very strong.

With all that you know about AYP you would have no trouble leading a group, I'm sure.
To me, this would be your best bet because it would be an AYP group. I think you will find, by trying other groups, you will be hard pushed to get anything as effective as an AYP group, although you may have to find this out for yourself.

Louis
Go to Top of Page

Balance

USA
967 Posts

Posted - Dec 26 2006 :  8:42:26 PM  Show Profile  Visit Balance's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Meg
I was just about to suggest what Louis did. Good luck in your search!

Alan

Edited by - Balance on Dec 26 2006 8:53:07 PM
Go to Top of Page

Katrine

Norway
1813 Posts

Posted - Dec 27 2006 :  02:54:03 AM  Show Profile  Visit Katrine's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Meg

You are already here.
I am be the focal point of your group.

Initiate an AYP group.

Why on earth not?

Good luck
Go to Top of Page

sadhak

India
604 Posts

Posted - Dec 27 2006 :  06:09:10 AM  Show Profile  Visit sadhak's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Meg,
I understand your need for the group experience. Believe me, I've been in different groups... what the others are saying makes sense. Start an AYP group. It is best to build on what you have already experienced, and the more you give out, the more you grow. The group experience we have here with AYP is wonderful, and I'd suggest this to everybody who would like to be part of a flesh and blood group.

Edited by - sadhak on Dec 27 2006 06:12:30 AM
Go to Top of Page

Manipura

USA
870 Posts

Posted - Dec 27 2006 :  06:57:58 AM  Show Profile  Visit Manipura's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
:) You guys are great. Thanks everyone.
Go to Top of Page

Naz

37 Posts

Posted - Dec 27 2006 :  10:46:41 AM  Show Profile  Visit Naz's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
You can visit a few different groups to get a direct experience of the atmosphere, the mood, the limitations and advantages of each of them. I concur with the people above that AYP is the best technique available today in form of systematic structured lessons, open for personal interpretations and further growth. It's comprehensive, versatile and flexible.

I've been into a number of groups. Maharishi's TM is the closest and the underlying material most probably used by Yogani to build the frame of AYP. It's, however, less open and more prejudiced. AYP offers a major step forward relative to the TM. You can visit TM and TM Siddhi group meditations. They have practicing groups in many large cities. You can practice AYP mantras and sutras together with them. I think this would be interesting both for you and for some of the TM-ers. You'd also have a chance to address the people from the TM group who might feel somewhat cramped by the Mahesh's rendering of the practice guidelines. AYP could be a worthwhile discovery for them.

In the course of your practice I highly recommend you also to get familiar with the other groups and approaches available in your city, or wherever you go. They might be not suitable for longer relationship because of one or the other reason, but you are very likely to find fresh insights, views and formulations of the knowledge you'd be dealing with. Your alternative approach would be similarly beneficial for your eventual interlocutors.
Go to Top of Page

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - Dec 27 2006 :  10:56:54 AM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Meg,
You could drop in and join my group on Fridays. Well, I know I don't live very close to you, but its doable once in awhile. And then once you start your group, I could drop into NY to attend your group..
But I agree with everyone here... starting your own group would be the best way to go.
Go to Top of Page

Manipura

USA
870 Posts

Posted - Dec 27 2006 :  11:32:11 AM  Show Profile  Visit Manipura's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I agree with Naz - I like the idea of dropping in on various groups and getting a feel for how others approach meditation and group dynamics. This way it will become clear what style works and what doesn't. Maybe I'd meet some discontent meditators along the way who'd be interested in AYP. :) Also, Katrine - good point: it's not I who would lead the group, but "i am." Takes the pressure off the group leader. I'd be interested in hearing how you others run your groups. (Louis? Shweta?)
Go to Top of Page

sadhak

India
604 Posts

Posted - Dec 28 2006 :  06:35:37 AM  Show Profile  Visit sadhak's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Meg,
We don't have a group leader in the AYP system... this has been discussed before. You'll find the threads if you do a search here for 'group meditation'.

At my end in Gurgaon, we each follow our own pace, though people who began together tend to finish at the same time. We use an egg timer for a time indication of the spinal breathing (set at usually 9 mins). The deep meditation everyone follows on and finishes when they reach their intuitive time. Works fine. Then we discuss either problems/issues we might be encountering in the practices, or questions anyone may have, or a chapter from Yogani's books, or I quote something I read in the forum, and it starts off a discussion. Somedays we all just sit in silence for sometime and then leave.
Go to Top of Page

david_obsidian

USA
2602 Posts

Posted - Dec 28 2006 :  07:43:05 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Naz said: It's, however, less open and more prejudiced. AYP offers a major step forward relative to the TM. You can visit TM and TM Siddhi group meditations.

I don't think TM allows people into their sessions who have not done the course already, do they?

I do agree with shopping around. You'll find sectarianism almost everywhere BTW, and on that count, I'd say neither absorb it nor let it bother you overmuch.
Go to Top of Page

Naz

37 Posts

Posted - Dec 28 2006 :  7:03:16 PM  Show Profile  Visit Naz's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
David: "I don't think TM allows people into their sessions who have not done the course already, do they?"

It depends on the mentality of a given group and its leader. Also on the way you approach the situations. Generally in large groups of Siddhis (especially the flyers) they would be more strict about it. In groups of ordinary TM-ers the chances are high for relatively warm welcome.

In most other groups and traditions you'd be trying to enter your progress in getting inside would depend on your ability to play along (preferably not loosing the sense of your own path at the same time).
Go to Top of Page

yoginstar

Netherlands
78 Posts

Posted - Jan 02 2007 :  5:54:12 PM  Show Profile  Visit yoginstar's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Naz,
zooming in on here (I do come from the spaced out state:-) all of a sudden, let me tell you something interesting. Maybe. I was suddenly tonight reading too much. (5th state). Then my eyes closed, I put my glasses down and tried to go to sleep. My sleep was conscious. (6th state). All of a sudden I realized I was breathless (7th state) but not dead. When I started to breathe again, I woke up immediately, consciously so. I.e. the first breath is the birth of the yogi's view on things:-)

Then, I couldn't find my glasses and I get totally lost in space also when I dont have them on (5th state again, using my brainmatter). So since with the help of practically almost all of you, bits and pieces here and there, I have stopped going afraid (almost, up untill the point it turns around into a total panick, which is what I am trying to avoid talking to you all), just to get my sanity back for otherwise you all think also I am entirely crazy:-) , well, that said, I calmed down and realized that with calming down one's sense of perception of space and time is being selfpaced down (which is the entire genius of Yogani's lessons).
What does it mean, to feel spaced, in total panick, in the dark of the night, actually? Well Naz, I think that is when one has lost the umbilical cord.
So you are right too.... the first breath of life also starts with re-finding the rootsystem and the umbilical cord, zooming in on the right levels where one belongs.
Thank you for listening to me.

Go to Top of Page

Naz

37 Posts

Posted - Jan 03 2007 :  04:37:16 AM  Show Profile  Visit Naz's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Yoginstar: I don't think your message really belongs to this thread. You are acting a bit disoriented. But thanks a lot. I'll answer to your thread.
Go to Top of Page

insideout

USA
44 Posts

Posted - Jan 03 2007 :  7:22:02 PM  Show Profile  Visit insideout's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Shanti,

Where are you? If your group is in Orange County I would be interested in attending.
Go to Top of Page

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - Jan 03 2007 :  7:40:18 PM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Sorry Insideout, opposite coast.. I am closer to NY.

Edited by - Shanti on Jan 03 2007 8:10:50 PM
Go to Top of Page

yoginstar

Netherlands
78 Posts

Posted - Jan 04 2007 :  01:02:41 AM  Show Profile  Visit yoginstar's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Naz, never mind me, these guys above in this thread here seem to look for a genuine AYP group. I say, it was started virtually so, and this online virtual forum might as well be the official AYP group. Never mind me Naz, I have never felt better in my entire life anyway, I just simply and truly do use the lessons of Yogani and you thought I was kidding huh? :-))
Go to Top of Page

yogani

USA
5197 Posts

Posted - Jan 04 2007 :  10:49:27 AM  Show Profile  Visit yogani's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by insideout

Shanti,
Where are you? If your group is in Orange County I would be interested in attending.

Hi Insideout:

A deep meditation group in Orange County would be great. Would you like to start one? Shanti and others who have done it can give you the inside scoop. Then we can bring more of the outside in, and more of the inside out.

The guru is in you.
Go to Top of Page

insideout

USA
44 Posts

Posted - Jan 04 2007 :  1:12:29 PM  Show Profile  Visit insideout's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by yogani

A deep meditation group in Orange County would be great. Would you like to start one?

Hi Yogani,

I'm not sure how that would work. I live in a small apartment with a non-practicing wife. I started AYP less than 2 months ago. I just graduated and I'm looking for a job so things are a bit uncertain at the moment.

However, if anybody else in the area is interested in starting something, I would be happy to help.
Go to Top of Page

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - Jan 04 2007 :  1:38:08 PM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by insideout

quote:
Originally posted by yogani

A deep meditation group in Orange County would be great. Would you like to start one?

Hi Yogani,

I'm not sure how that would work. I live in a small apartment with a non-practicing wife. I started AYP less than 2 months ago. I just graduated and I'm looking for a job so things are a bit uncertain at the moment.

However, if anybody else in the area is interested in starting something, I would be happy to help.

Hi Insideout,
I was going to suggest what Yogani did. If you could find a few people who would be interested in forming a group, you could meet at each other's place (like Louis and his group do) once a week. You don't really need too much place or too many people. If you are interested in starting a group email me and lets see if we can work around your limitations..
Not sure if you know about our Global Meditation Group that we have going here at AYP. Many of us meditate together every Sunday at 11.15am ET.. from our own homes. It seems to be working out pretty good so far (I think.. no one has complained so far).. You could join us for this if you'd like... of course some on the West coast complain about the time(8.15 am PT) but I know they don't mean it (Right????).

Edited by - Shanti on Jan 04 2007 1:55:05 PM
Go to Top of Page

sadhak

India
604 Posts

Posted - Jan 05 2007 :  12:00:07 PM  Show Profile  Visit sadhak's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Shanti(I think.. no one has complained so far

Hi Shanti,
You can treat this as one, if you're missing 'em: 9.45 pm IST is proving too late for me to join in.. But hey, I'm only pulling your leg. Keeping the middle together always entails losing some edges.
Go to Top of Page

insideout

USA
44 Posts

Posted - Jan 06 2007 :  12:02:46 PM  Show Profile  Visit insideout's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Shanti

Hi Insideout,
I was going to suggest what Yogani did. If you could find a few people who would be interested in forming a group, you could meet at each other's place (like Louis and his group do) once a week. You don't really need too much place or too many people. If you are interested in starting a group email me and lets see if we can work around your limitations..
Not sure if you know about our Global Meditation Group that we have going here at AYP. Many of us meditate together every Sunday at 11.15am ET.. from our own homes. It seems to be working out pretty good so far (I think.. no one has complained so far).. You could join us for this if you'd like... of course some on the West coast complain about the time(8.15 am PT) but I know they don't mean it (Right????).

Hi Shanti,

Thanks for the info on the Global Meditation Group, I'll be sure to start Iam at that time. If I feel ready to start a meditation group in the area I will pm you for info.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000