Yamas & Niyamas - Restraints & Observances
 Good Overview on Yamas & Niyamas
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Kirtanman

USA
1651 Posts

Posted - Dec 07 2006 :  3:09:50 PM  Show Profile  Visit Kirtanman's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message

Hello & Namaste All,

I found the information provided via the following links to be very useful in helping me to understand *why* the yamas and niyamas are considered an important part of the eight-fold path of yoga -- especially in terms of how these things can provide key support to our (seemingly) more direct efforts and practices -- and how they (Yamas and Niyamas) can make our yogic "jobs" a lot easier.

I don't agree with every last term / definition - for instance, when Brahmacharya is mentioned, it's fairly clear that it is equated with celibacy, from that author's viewpoint - whereas I am 100% comfortable with the AYP definition (that Brahmacharya is about the "cultivation and redirection of sexual energy").

Personally, I find that I don't have to agree with 100% of an author's outlook to find value in (easily) 90%+ of a given piece of information -- and I found both of the following links well worth "perusing".

Hope you do, too!

Peace & Namaste,

Kirtanman

YAMAS
http://www.swami-krishnananda.org/y...yoga_05.html

NIYAMAS
http://www.swami-krishnananda.org/y...yoga_06.html

(And per the numbers in the links, there's a lot of good "before and after" info on things like pratyahara, pranayama, etc. -- not in terms of anything that would supplant AYP practices in any way -- but purely in terms of how these pieces fit together in traditional yoga. Personally, I just found this to be interesting, "clarifying" - and - a bit motivating - in terms of inspiring me to pay a bit more direct attention to where I am, as I "Yam" and "Niyam" through life ....

Athma_Shakti

India
81 Posts

Posted - Dec 07 2006 :  4:03:41 PM  Show Profile  Visit Athma_Shakti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
yes yamas(pure body), niyamas(pure mind) are very essential for progress in yoga practice.

Regarding eight fold path of yoga, instead of referring to indirect sources, my little suggestion is to directly refer the "Patanjali Yoga Sutras". www.yoganiketan.net is a wonderful site with excellent translations contains information about "Vedas" and a genuine open source of "Patanjali Yoga Sutras" which contains techniques of "Samyama", "Siddhis", "Raja Yoga". Patanjali is not only a sage, he is an Avatar. so the information in this source will be more clear and accurate and can avoid misinterpretations like "Brahmacharya" which is commonly misunderstood.

"brahmacharya" (non-violence, truthfulness, abiding in Brahman upong having controlled the senses)

pls refer the source for clear and deep understanding.

Thanx
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000