Satsang Cafe - General Discussions on AYP
 The Eyes - Windows of Consciousness?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

SeySorciere

Seychelles
1532 Posts

Posted - Nov 29 2018 :  06:52:39 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
I have noticed that some enlightened Gurus have very sparkling eyes - eyes full of life e.g. Sadguru. And enlightenment is expressed as a continuous joy of living /emptiness dancing and I guess this is what causes the sparkling eyes.

My own eyes, however, look quite dead (my smile is radiant, though). Of course I am not in the category of these eminent gentlemen. Often in radiant clarity of emptiness, I find that I use my physical eyes less, hence their lack of liveliness. When I look in the mirror, the brightness of my third eye is prominent - the physical eyes window a "not lived in" look.

Anyone else noticed that?

Sey

Herb

Canada
111 Posts

Posted - Dec 23 2018 :  06:37:23 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Sey

This is slightly off topic but what about meditating with the eyes open? Ramana meditated with his eyes wide open and early last spring, while practising meditation during my waking activites I tried it and, low and behold, I was able to start doing it. To master it, all I needed to do was practise while doing a really boring activity and study pictures of Ramana in samadhi with his eyes wide open.

Basically, for me, it’s an exercize in “Pratyahara,” where I simply allow my eyes to lose their focus, then take my attention off what I’m looking at and draw it inwards to my Hridyam and hold it there while thinking my mantra. Have you meditated with your eyes open? If so, how did it go and how does your eyes open practise differ from mine?

As my eyes open practise has evolved I find that I can do it while doing less and less boring tasks like while driving, watching TV, and walking. I hope it evolves to where I can do it while I am reading soon, and eventually while writing and even while talking. Years ago I had the opportunity to talk with a very wise and learned Indian(North American), Chief Dr. Clifford Cardinal, and he spoke in a “very” slow and thoughtful way. There were spaces of profound silence between each of his words. I had never spoken to anyone who talked so slowly and it tried my patience just to listen to him. Maybe he was in a type of samadhi while talking to me. Following is a teaching by Ramana on meditating while reading, then one on meditating during other activities:

“While reading a book, while your eyes follow the lines, your heart should remain in the One.”

“When dhyana is well established it cannot be given up. It will go on automatically, even when you are engaged in work, leasure and sleep. It must become so deep-rooted that it is natural.”

The eyes are a window to the soul and the soul is the Self.

Edited by - Herb on Dec 23 2018 07:07:21 AM
Go to Top of Page

Arunachala Bhakta

Finland
30 Posts

Posted - Dec 23 2018 :  3:57:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Sparkling, shiny eyes
Don't have'em thou. Yet/usually.

Thank you both for sharing, and for Ramana quotes.

Go to Top of Page

Dogboy

USA
2198 Posts

Posted - Dec 25 2018 :  7:39:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Every now and then I do this mirror practice: resting a forehead on a mirror, adjust your vision so that you make one eye (a Cyclops) and peer up that tunnel, just be there, don't do anything more. Sometimes you need to start the mantra if you're going deep.

Maybe you need a second look Sey, your eyes aren't as dead as you think they are
Go to Top of Page

SeySorciere

Seychelles
1532 Posts

Posted - Dec 26 2018 :  02:26:56 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Dear Herb,

Actually AYP DM leads to meditation permeating your daily life, so I am comfortable with meditating with eyes wide open. Often during daily activities, I automatically withdraw into the meditative state i.e. if the activity allows that safely, so during meetings and such. It’s “do and let go” . I come out to act, then withdraw to let go. It’s what Ramana is saying with “remain in the heart” or
“When dhyana is well established it cannot be given up. It will go on automatically, even when you are engaged in work, leasure and sleep. It must become so deep-rooted that it is natural.” Yogani calls it Stillness in action.

@Dogboy - I’m afraid it’s true.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000