AYPsite.org Forum
 Kundalini Issues Not Related to the AYP System
 kundalini plus psychoterapy and emotions
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

JJJ

43 Posts

Posted - Jul 14 2018 :  2:49:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hi
in very short summary I am 36yr old now and i have some family issues since about 20 years and in past I was diagnosed with neurosis.I feel much better now and understand situation much better but still have some issues psychologicaly. I had a kundalini awakeing about 2 years ago wich was overwhelming i felt anxiety and was depressed so i started grounding and stopped all meditations.I decided to fix my life first before starting practises again. So I went to psychoterapy about 5 months ago and I am still in this psychoterapy which seems to be helpful.BUt about 2 weeks ago i decided to "help" or to "accelerate"my psychoterapy and started meditation ( just 15 minutes of awareness meditation technique, I plan to start MD in the future). I started feeling my kundalini flow again but it is very smooth right now. Although energy flow is little I feel depressed very much since few days and feel emotions like anger which are very strong during the day. Therefore my questions:
1. do you think it is a good idea to "help" psychoterapy with meditation and little kundalini flow ( i assumed it would give me better access to my emotions and to let go or understanding) or maybe I ahould stop meditation and focus only on psychoterapy now?
2. what to do when anger is present beetwen my meditation sessions- it makes me feel blocked and uncomfortable ( i know about pacing but kundalini flow is not strong now so I am not sure if reducing meditation time will help) - maybe these emotions are not directly enhanced by meditation but by psychoterapy itself?
I know there are no clear,obvious answers for this, I know it is not mathematics, but some insights will be helpful for me

nic

USA
51 Posts

Posted - Jul 14 2018 :  5:54:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi JJJ,

I am glad to hear you're doing better at this time. I'm just gonna throw in my 2 cents and say that I don't think there is any harm in adding meditation to your daily practice. Not only will the meditation advance you on the path, but really you can use it as a tool for anything as long as there is an intent and focus. You could just sit for 20 minutes each day. Sitting in silence to really be with yourself, to be with all the thoughts, and emotions. That way when you have built this foundation of being with yourself or getting to know yourself; you won't feel so uncomfortable with difficult thoughts and emotions that arise.

When these difficult states arise, I tend to act as my own guardian and see the emotion as a cry for love and support, like a mother holding her crying child in the most gentle way. I see that if something keeps coming up regardless of how it is stirred whether through therapy or kundalini, that that specific emotion/trigger is seeking closure.
All things are seeking closure and unity through us as us. I hope this offers some help.

Warm regards and love,

Nic
Go to Top of Page

yo_gi

Germany
47 Posts

Posted - Jul 15 2018 :  03:09:51 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hey JJJ

Regarding your questions:

1. I would say its a good idea. The dawn of the witness coming through meditation will help you to regard thoughts/emotions/issues and so on as the objects that they are which in turn will enable you to deal with them way more effectively than psychotherapy could ever provide.

2. If you feel irritated during the day this is a sure sign to apply self-pacing as mentioned in the lessons. Do not messure the need of self-pacing by "kundalini flow not being strong". The relative labels of the mind are no good benchmark - how you feel during the day is.

So try to find a (self-paced) balance within your practices as well as within your life in general including pt. In the end it will be the spiritual practices that lead us out of the suffering not the psychotherapy but certainly pt can be an helpful aid during phases on our path(!) as you already know. So while pt maybe helpful to take a look at the mindbox it is not able to clean it nor to bring you outside the box - meditation can.
But who says not to use both especially when you feel that it helps!

All the best
Go to Top of Page

JJJ

43 Posts

Posted - Jul 18 2018 :  4:13:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
nic, yogi
thank you for answer and support !

Go to Top of Page

SeySorciere

Seychelles
1532 Posts

Posted - Jul 19 2018 :  03:04:06 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Dear JJJ,

Do tread carefully - start with very little meditation at first, give it time (months) to make sure you are stable before increasing time and eventually adding spinal breathing. Take it extra slow so that you do not overload and swing back the other way with an aggravation of your issues rather than helping.

Good luck

Sey
Go to Top of Page

JJJ

43 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2018 :  2:06:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
ok, so I am doing DM more than 3 weeks ( only 10 minutes a day in one morning session - i think it is better now for me than doing 2x5 min). I will think about adding afternoon session 10min soon.
according dealing with strong emotions and moods I am a little worried that I did not find much about these in AYP lessons and books. The only answer I found is self-pacing ( to self pace when feeling strong emotions/moods during the day), but I don't buy it. Is this means I have to cut lenght of my sessions every time emotions go to surface during the day? Isn't this a repressing?I want to work with them and go through them - not escape from them. During the session I undertsand that we always favor mantra and if too strong we go to witness and back to mantra- that's ok, but it is normal that strong emotions moods will surface during the day and I see lack of information in AYP system.WHat I do now is during a day as soon as I realize /catch myself of feeling strong emotions and grasping with my unpleasant toughs i am winessing them - noticing but not engaging in them, but it is difficult sometimes when I have other things to do so sometimes ( inspired mostly by OSHO teachings) I stand in the evening with my hands up and just wait what is coming to me, sometimes it is anger, sometimes it is fear- I witness them and aloud myself to feel them fully, sometimes I just cry or dance without control - whatever comes. After such sessions sometimes I feel relaxed and better. I think that if, instead,I just cut lenght of practises it would be worse and it would be repressing, so I stick with my methods of dealing - if recognizing emotions and observing them helps -then why not - of course sometimes witnessing and alouding them to go to surface enhance them but ater crying or throwing fists into the air I feel better mostly. WHat are your views on these/ what AYP say about dealing with strong emotions/moods during day? I have to add also that I have had strong emotions /different moods also before practising DM ( I was not doing any spiritual practises for some time before DM).

Edited by - JJJ on Aug 21 2018 4:30:09 PM
Go to Top of Page

Dogboy

USA
2198 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2018 :  5:21:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
This excerpt is from lesson 68:

quote:
It is an opening, a receptivity, a letting go that enables the bhakti effect. As soon as we surrender our emotions to a higher purpose, they become divine energy rushing in. Traumatic experiences put us in a position where we may have little choice but to surrender, or face many years of misery. It is a much more clear-cut choice to make than considering the divine quest while engaged in the smaller ups and downs of mundane life in the work-a-day world. The truth is, every emotion is an opportunity for bhakti -- the very small ones, the very big ones, and every emotion in-between. The emotions will be there. The letting go may or may not be there. That is up to us. It is we who choose.

Having embarked on the spiritual path with a strong and continuing bhakti surge, you have found something sacred in your tragedy. Keep in mind that bhakti is powerful spiritual practice. Make sure to balance your practices to give the best chance for a smooth unfoldment of pure bliss consciousness and divine ecstasy.

It covers both your concerns. Yogani suggests what you are doing, witnessing, acknowledging, find something sacred in it (as Yogani mentions above) and surrendering. You have found some relief from your Osho practice, Guru In You has led you there so can probably continue with it, and may not have to cut back any of your current DM practice. It is all trial and error. AYP teaches us to pay attention to the results of our practice and learn ways to keep things smooth so we may continue. Self pacing is not only cut, cut, cut. Getting out in nature, interacting and serving with humanity in small ways, eating a heavier diet, will also get relief without changing practice length.
Go to Top of Page

BlueRaincoat

United Kingdom
1730 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2018 :  12:13:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by JJJ
it is difficult sometimes when I have other things to do

Exactly.
AYP's stance is that we do our yoga practice twice a day, at the allotted time. The rest of the days is for living, and for integrating the results of our practice into day-to-day life.

Accept emotions as they come. There is indeed no point in fighting them, or repressing them. If you practice mindfulness during the day as well as I AM meditation, then you are doubling up on your meditation practice.

By practicing deep meditation every day, you are getting to the source of the emotions and dissolving them from their root. It is not necessary to practice witnessing throughout the day on top of deep meditation. The results will come if you stick to your twice daily sitting practices, as instructed in the AYP lessons.

All the best.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000