Satsang Cafe - General Discussions on AYP
 memory
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

kumar ul islam

United Kingdom
791 Posts

Posted - Dec 08 2017 :  09:15:48 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
how does memory relate to action and consequence ,attachments ,ect
an example would be having dementia and forgetting you were a smoker
this of course could be anything even yoga practice or maybe a belief or a faith in something that brings you closer to god the divine truth ,you can learn something but when forgotten it does not exist for the soul, memory plays a key role in the evolution of our kind and as individuals every thing has some memory related base DNA as an example ,i suppose i ask if buddha had had dementia and not remembered his journey what would this mean for us and himself .

Chard

250 Posts

Posted - Dec 11 2017 :  12:19:27 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I don't know Kumar, I lost my memory after the birth of my second child!.... seriously though, these are good questions. Love to hear people's responses
Go to Top of Page

Bodhi Tree

2972 Posts

Posted - Dec 11 2017 :  01:26:05 AM  Show Profile  Visit Bodhi Tree's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I like the notion that enlightenment is a kind of remembrance.

It's like we follow the string of cause and effect until we reach the source, which is surely related to memory.

I find tremendous value in getting lost in the maze of my memories. Such immersion enhances the present moment, and brings hope to the future.

Of course, there's also value in forgetting, especially as a means of transcendence. I guess it just depends on what kind of mood you're in.

Good topic.
Go to Top of Page

Blanche

USA
859 Posts

Posted - Dec 11 2017 :  06:46:50 AM  Show Profile  Visit Blanche's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by kumar ul islam

i suppose i ask if buddha had had dementia and not remembered his journey what would this mean for us and himself .

Hi Kumar,
I am not sure that Buddha could get dementia, but anyone can get dementia before enlightenment. The process of spiritual transformation does involve "restoration and repair," a phase that heals and improves the function, which would take care of any memory lapses. Buddha is a superlative level of functioning, a perfectly awaken human being who remembers everything. There are hints in modern psychology that we record everything and maintain these records, but sometimes we forget the "address" of the memories - that is, we have perfect memory, but we have trouble finding the memories in our huge database. In other words, forgetfulness is not the result of lost memories, but the result of "misplaced" memories in our database. By extension,this might mean that dementia is only a malfunction at the physical level, but the deeper levels of the being, such as the causal sheath, are not affected.

What do you think about this?

Go to Top of Page

kumar ul islam

United Kingdom
791 Posts

Posted - Dec 11 2017 :  08:10:27 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
if we experience and are experiencing our existence through all the sheaths are we not reliant previous learning memory ?do we remember to love god because we have a memory to recall creation in our minds eye, is the whole of creation our data base but we only see our small fragment with glimpses of the whole when we step into the transcendent moment using any tool but only when we are receptive
Go to Top of Page

Dogboy

USA
2202 Posts

Posted - Dec 12 2017 :  9:36:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Is a cell aware of the organism it inhabits?
Go to Top of Page

kumar ul islam

United Kingdom
791 Posts

Posted - Dec 13 2017 :  4:35:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
to a degree all component parts must be aware or react, most of our actions are nature driven or reaction driven free choice must be the space between thought and action .
Go to Top of Page

sunyata

USA
1507 Posts

Posted - Dec 13 2017 :  5:38:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Kumar,

The body mind may go through various ailments/diseases i.e even memory loss in a particular lifetime.The Jiva's spiritual advancement will not be affected by it. It will carry it forward to it's next incarnation.

Edited by - sunyata on Dec 13 2017 7:11:52 PM
Go to Top of Page

adishivayogi

USA
197 Posts

Posted - Jan 11 2018 :  12:49:26 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
different forms of memory. my body knows what my great great grandpa looked like though ive never seen him. my mind can forget quite easily. obviously my body doesn't. im not trained in the other forms of memory however there are memories from child hood i can not attribute to my own life
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000