Enlightenment Milestones
 Progress in practise.
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

DhanrajK

India
2 Posts

Posted - Nov 13 2006 :  05:30:19 AM  Show Profile  Visit DhanrajK's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Dear Yogani,

I am practising AYP meditation since 2 years, now, after 2 when I introspect about the progress, the following was identified.

a) My practise is more or less regular with twice daily for 20 minutes each.
b) I am sticking only to meditation as I am not convinced yet to add Pranayama.
c) The IAM mantra and thoughts are going on parallel till date, not observing the silence during meditation.
d) I am not finding any refreshness or dullness after meditation, just normal.
e) In fact, I am unable to notice any kind of observations/improvements/changes after 2 years of continuous meditation practise.

I am at a loss to understand what wrong is going on, where I am making mistake or needs correction. I do not know, whether I should continue as it is or rectify my mistakes before continuing.

I know, everyone takes their own time, but I do not want to learn that I did some mistake all the way after lot more years, if some correction is required, I am looking for it to incorporate, I read and re-read the lessons, unable to find what is going wrong.

I wish you will guide me to find progress in my practise.

Regards,

K.DHANRAJ

Athma_Shakti

India
81 Posts

Posted - Nov 13 2006 :  3:14:54 PM  Show Profile  Visit Athma_Shakti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Dear Dhanraj,

peoples from different paths and experts in various yoga techniques are here.

Iam a beginner here in AYP. I started with Mantra Meditation like you, and i got wonderful results in a month. yes of course i was doing my "Kundalini Yoga" for 1 year.

Iam not going to give you any advice, but i want to tell you how i succeeded in bringing inner silence and ecstatic conductivity the first time.

In the beginning me too didn't feel anything in Mantra Meditation. then i wanted to give ONE GO, i started around 4'O clock morning, continuously keep chanting the mantra "inside my mind" for about 2 hour, then i got that fantastic inner silence and ecstatic conductivity :), then i streamlined my practice everyday 20 minutes and twice a day.

and main thing i realised is you say the mantra inside your mind and you should feel the vibration inside your body.

you can try this -> first few times loudly say the mantra verbally producing the physical sound, then remember this vibration and close your eyes and produce this same type of vibration inside your mind. and try to maintain a rythm out of it if possible. and iam sure this will work out definitely the first time. you will feel something :)

Thanx
Kumar
Go to Top of Page

yogani

USA
5195 Posts

Posted - Nov 13 2006 :  3:55:26 PM  Show Profile  Visit yogani's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi DhanrajK, and welcome!

Everyone is a little different in how inner purification progresses. If you are following the procedure of deep meditation, the work is being done. If there is no obvious symptom of progress, you can still be sure it is happening underneath, and sooner or later an opening will be happening. If we dig the well in one place long enough, we will strike water. There is plenty of water inside you -- infinite!

No one is lacking in that respect. It is only a matter of methods, gentle persistence, and time.

You may wish to try 5 minutes of spinal breathing right before deep meditation. That will help loosen up the subtle nerves, and enhance the inward reach of your deep meditation. If the routine with both these practices is smooth after a few weeks, and you want to add some more oomph, then add a short asana routine (about 10 min) right before spinal breathing. That will help open up the nervous system also.

Your desire and determination (bhakti), will also be an important factor over time.

All the best!

The guru is in you.
Go to Top of Page

nearoanoke

USA
525 Posts

Posted - Nov 13 2006 :  4:20:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Dhanraj,

I am in the same boat as you. I do pranayama and meditation twice everyday. I started around jan 2004 and was doing it very regularly till the past two months (missed only 3 sessions). From the past two months I was regular but not very. No significant results. Below are what I observed though

1. Twice I found some vibration/energy moving up and down my spine and it lasted for a week each time it happened
2. General feeling that meditation is getting deeper

The important thing is to keep the practice going on, no matter what. I got the following analogy somewhere on AYP site. Doing yoga is a process similar to clearing the dirt off the window shield. If there are 10 layers of dirt, we wont see the light on the other side of window even after 9 layers are cleared off. So we are making progress but we will know only when the 10th layer of dirt starts peeling off.

Just make it a regular thing like brushing teeth without expecting much. Regarding the correctness of the process,there are a few “misconceptions” I had when I started which I learnt from experience.

1. Mantra and thoughts can co-exist. Thinking that only one can stay at a time adds additional worry that we need to either push thoughts away or concentrate more on mantra. But realizing that mantra and thoughts can co-exist (and it is fine as long we are actively repeating the mantra,) made me worry a lot less.
2. When u find urself in thoughts, instead of driving away the thoughts, get urself back to repeating mantra.
3. What happens when a thought comes: Between the time we lose the mantra and get into thoughts a very important thing happens. We touch our pure bliss consciousness once. This is how u make progress in meditation. So a thought is not a bad sign, infact it indicates something good has just happened.

These three suggestions and practice over time helped me improve my meditation.

-Near
Go to Top of Page

DhanrajK

India
2 Posts

Posted - Nov 18 2006 :  02:12:16 AM  Show Profile  Visit DhanrajK's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanx for suggestions and guidance, I shall continue and get back to you all later.

regards,

K.DHANRAJ
Go to Top of Page

Kyman

530 Posts

Posted - Nov 18 2006 :  09:54:49 AM  Show Profile  Visit Kyman's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Also, make sure you love yourself by giving yourself the appropriate levels of free time. Not enough or too much can weigh heavily on the soul, and the soul feels this weight through its instrument-the body.

The ultimate gauge is how you handle stressful situations. When I first began meditating, there were at times unhuman levels of enduring stress, but also at other times I was extremely immature in handling it. But I knew there was progress because the way I handled certain situations had changed drastically.

The fact that you devote yourself to daily meditation, well, that speaks for itself.

My mind at one point had regressed back into deep compulsive thinking. Thoughts you just can't turn off. Background chatter, about nothing important. I had already experienced a calm state of mind before so I layed down on the couch and focused on the silence of the room and didn't get up until my mind had settled. After 2 hours, there was a change that never left. It was a rapid healing of sorts.

Try to connect with your body and let the inner guru do its work on the body.

Edited by - Kyman on Nov 18 2006 09:57:42 AM
Go to Top of Page

Holy

796 Posts

Posted - Nov 26 2006 :  4:38:18 PM  Show Profile  Visit Holy's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I started with many other techniques before starting with pranayama+deep meditation 6 months ago and my advice would be to overdo it once. I mean 2 years of daily practice as you did is fine, so you don't need to be convinced, that it works, but overdoing it once to get clearly symtomps of cleansing could motivate you to go on with what you did until now.

You could meditate on i am for some hours until you come into a very deep state like Kyman did or you could testwise add some strong pranayama+root lock to feel the energy shooting up into your third eye. I don't recommend doing all of this for longer periods if you don't want to end like John Wilder before he found out the effects of spinal breathing pranayama.

If I regularly do my practice, the calming peaceful and joyful effects come slowly and for sure, but sometimes this is not enough for me and I dive into i am for 1-2 hours and find peace within my silent self. But in the end, your discipline and your bhakti will bring you to unity for sure.
Go to Top of Page

Etherfish

USA
3615 Posts

Posted - Nov 26 2006 :  4:49:26 PM  Show Profile  Visit Etherfish's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
These are good suggestions above, and I'd like to add one. You said the mantra and thoughts are going on at the same time.
It helps if you try to put your concentration more on the mantra, and let the thoughts be more in the background. i like to think of the mantra as being connected to peace and silence, and the thoughts as being connected to everyday life. So with the mantra I am taking a vacation from the mundane world. I can do the thoughts later.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000