Other Systems and Alternate Approaches
 The Five Tibetans Yoga
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Yoda

USA
284 Posts

Posted - Nov 03 2006 :  10:28:36 PM  Show Profile  Visit Yoda's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
I'm curious if anyone here has had experience with the "Five Tibetans" yoga system?

Edited by - AYPforum on Jan 31 2007 08:20:43 AM

n/a

26 Posts

Posted - Nov 04 2006 :  06:53:46 AM  Show Profile  Visit n/a's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Here is a description of the Five Tibetan Rites: http://www.mkprojects.com/pf_TibetanRites.htm

It would be a very useful program to do on a daily schedule, perhaps immediately before sadhana.

Blessings,

comdyne

Edited by - n/a on Nov 04 2006 09:03:46 AM
Go to Top of Page

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - Nov 04 2006 :  07:46:51 AM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for sharing this Comdyne. Quite a bit of back bends... that does increase purification symptoms in me.. or as they call it at this website detoxification symptoms. Most of these are covered by asanas except the Spinning exercise... which sounds like fun..
Thanks..

Edited by - Shanti on Nov 04 2006 07:49:08 AM
Go to Top of Page

Yoda

USA
284 Posts

Posted - Nov 05 2006 :  1:41:59 PM  Show Profile  Visit Yoda's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Nice website! Thanks!
Go to Top of Page

Scott

USA
969 Posts

Posted - Nov 05 2006 :  8:45:18 PM  Show Profile  Visit Scott's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I tried the 5 rites for about a month, a year or two ago, and I didn't like the effect. I may have been doing it wrong.

Edited by - Scott on Nov 05 2006 8:50:32 PM
Go to Top of Page

Wolfgang

Germany
470 Posts

Posted - Nov 06 2006 :  05:54:50 AM  Show Profile  Visit Wolfgang's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I read the book and was very inspired by the story,
however I didn't practice the rites consistently.
Go to Top of Page

Yoda

USA
284 Posts

Posted - Nov 08 2006 :  3:35:18 PM  Show Profile  Visit Yoda's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I had done them in my 20's for maybe a year and they were nice. They had reversed some grey hairs that had popped up. Now, at 38 those greys are starting up again, so I figured I'd try it out as it's very yoga compatible. The exercises seem a bit too stimulating to do right before iaming, though. I'm finding that it's a good basic routine, but needs a twisting move and an inversion to make it a complete miniyoga system. I usually add an anal lock for good measure. I think grey hair looks nice, btw... this project is part vanity, part science in motivation. I don't know anyone who's done them long term.

I usually do them before bed with my taichi for a nice bedtime buzz.
Go to Top of Page

Yoda

USA
284 Posts

Posted - Dec 19 2006 :  10:39:16 AM  Show Profile  Visit Yoda's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Got the Ancient Secret of the Fountain of Youth II and checked it out. Nice book. I had my breathing wrong on some of the exercises.

This link: http://www.10ac.com/five_tibetan_rites.htm has the breathing explained correctly with the exception of rite 5 where you exhale while letting the torso lower, but the head is relaxed and vertical. Then inhale while first leaning the head back and continue while moving the whole body up and the head angled forward then exhale while allowing the body to relax and sag.

I tried it, and it is a more pronounced effect.

Also, it's fine to do the 5 rites at a snappy pace too.

The publisher is currently personal friends with the original 1939 "Eye of Revelation" author, Peter Kelder, and he talks about Peter's time in Hollywood during the 30s while he was writing the book and what a different world it was back then. (The book was definitely before its time.) Not much detail is divulged about Peter or how virile he still is, etc but that he's still healthy but very private and doesn't want his personal story to get in the way of his bare bones teaching. (Sound familiar?)

There are lots of inspiring testimonials from older folks about the 5 rites and even a section by Professor Robert Thurman (Uma's dad) re: Tibet and whether or not the 5 rites are really Tibetan. Thurman is open minded to it, but hasn't seen anything like it in his studies. Peter insists that it is.

The tensing the whole body in rite 4 (not something that I've done so far, and won't start for the time being) is found in the Tibetan yoga system, so that might add credence to the Tibetan hypothesis.

The book is nice, but not at all necessary to do the practice if you go by the above link. Just interesting secondary info. Peter's character in the original book was a composite of himself and one other individual who has since transitioned. Also, Colonel Bradford, (pseudonym) literally disappeared like in the book.

-Yoda
Go to Top of Page

AYPforum

351 Posts

Posted - Jan 31 2007 :  08:20:43 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Moderator note: Topic moved for better placement
Go to Top of Page

solo

USA
167 Posts

Posted - Nov 12 2008 :  08:27:09 AM  Show Profile  Visit solo's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I just started AYP a few weeks ago. I really like it so far. Presently I just fo 10 minutes of spinal breathing and 20 minutes of I AM meditation twice daily. Over lunch I will also do a yoga nidra meditation for 10-20 minutes.

However, I was thinking about trying the 5 Tibetan Rites too. Good idea? Or maybe just keep progressing in AYP?
Go to Top of Page

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - Nov 12 2008 :  08:52:43 AM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by solo

I just started AYP a few weeks ago. I really like it so far. Presently I just fo 10 minutes of spinal breathing and 20 minutes of I AM meditation twice daily. Over lunch I will also do a yoga nidra meditation for 10-20 minutes.

However, I was thinking about trying the 5 Tibetan Rites too. Good idea? Or maybe just keep progressing in AYP?

Hi Solo,
If you have been practicing AYP for a few weeks only and are enjoying it.. I would suggest keeping up with only AYP for a few months, and then if still drawn to add the 5 Tibetan Rites, go ahead. The only reason we suggest that is, if you are doing may things at once, you could:
1)Overload
2)Not know which practice is doing what to you.
So it is recommended to add one thing, be stable in it.. then add the next.. and so on. That way if something is causing overload or making you uncomfortable, you will know what it is... and self pacing becomes easier. Give meditation and spinal breathing a few months... once you are stable, then add anything else you desire.
Wish you all the best.

quote:
http://www.aypsite.org/forum/topic...._ID=587#1521
Yogani said:
Finally, inner energy excesses can also happen by adding other practices, and/or by doubling up on practices, especially when using several pranayama methods in the same session or day. Of course, I cannot speak to all the other practices you may be inclined to try in addition to AYP. These will be your individual research. Let us know of your discoveries! But do keep in mind that beginning stage is not necessarily the best time to be doing research on the effects of diverse practices. Better to get a foundation of inner silence underneath with deep meditation, and then you can tolerate much better the inevitable excesses one is bound to encounter when doing research – trying new things. That goes for taking on new practices within AYP too.

Go to Top of Page

Ankacitah

Romania
8 Posts

Posted - Jun 01 2015 :  2:12:05 PM  Show Profile  Visit Ankacitah's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I am doing Tibetan Rites for about 3 years, almost daily. Felling pretty good. Also, I have increased to 37 repetition/rite, going for 50.
Go to Top of Page

pawanthakur

India
2 Posts

Posted - Jun 18 2015 :  08:22:22 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
These are really interesting. I always try to do these.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000