Satsang Cafe - General Discussions on AYP
 Wanting to help homeless or mentally ill using AYP
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Godslave

Canada
108 Posts

Posted - Sep 28 2016 :  10:13:04 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hi,

I've found I often think about trying to help others who are mentally ill or homeless by teaching them AYP Deep Meditation. I've found that DM really helps me when I'm feeling down.

Have there been any experiments with this? I did come across AYP for Recovery which seems to be along these lines, http://ayprecovery.org/ .
I find that very interesting.

Is it known whether AYP is useful for helping homeless people?

I did have a coffee addiction which I wanted to stop for a long time, and eventually was able to stop by using DM + SBP 2 times daily.

Student-of-life

Germany
16 Posts

Posted - Oct 03 2016 :  11:10:06 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
From my own experience, all you can do is offer someone who is confronted with depression your help and to show them a possible way to reduce their symptoms. But even if you show them that meditation is a scientifically proven way to reduce symptoms of depression, not everyone will like what you have to offer. So I guess it really depends on the question if a person is ready for it or not.

Regarding people who are suffering from mental illness or people who are homeless: I have no experiences with that. But I believe that someone who is homeless may need a lot more help finding a job and getting back into society instead of being taught meditation practices. So I think once certain basics for survival are covered, they could be introduced to meditation, if they're interested in it.
Go to Top of Page

Godslave

Canada
108 Posts

Posted - Oct 07 2016 :  3:36:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
thanks for the reply, Student-of-life

It's something I think about from time to time, and I keep coming back to it.

It makes sense that they need their basic needs taken care of. I want to help them somehow but it seems like there is a need within them that needs to be resolved or met somehow, not just an "external" need for food, shelter, etc.
Go to Top of Page

Student-of-life

Germany
16 Posts

Posted - Oct 09 2016 :  12:09:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I absolutely agree with you. What makes it really difficult is to show them that meditation could fulfill this internal need. Some might not even be aware that this need is shaping their entire life.

I think it's very honorable of you that you keep searching for ways to make other people's lives better. Perhaps, life will guide you towards a homeless person that can benefit from your meditation techniques. I would say, it is worth a try if you are really looking to find an answer to your question.

It's a really sad thing that many people have absolutely nothing while others have multiple 10 bed mansions because they don't know what to do with all their money.

Go to Top of Page

Godslave

Canada
108 Posts

Posted - Oct 13 2016 :  10:00:55 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I'm happy to hear that your point of view on the situation is so similar to mine. It makes me feel less alone and helps me to know that there are others out there with a similar mindset.

Homelessness is of course a complicated problem which is why it isn't being solved 100%. I know in the city where I live there are multiple organizations whose goals are to help homeless people through supporting them with food, clothing, shelter, etc. And there is free medical care here... as well as places to help with alcoholism.

I just wonder if there is an effective way I could help out.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.07 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000