Satsang Cafe - General Discussions on AYP
 Yoga Teacher Certification with Yoga Alliance
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Blanche

USA
859 Posts

Posted - Jul 24 2016 :  10:41:41 AM  Show Profile  Visit Blanche's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
I have recently completed the 200 hour Yoga Teacher Training in probably the best training program in Connecticut. To everyone's surprise, we got a seven page list of additional requirements to apply for certification with Yoga Alliance. These requirements will take at least 6 months to complete.

I wonder what the experience of other yoga teachers has been.

Christi

United Kingdom
4379 Posts

Posted - Jul 28 2016 :  05:31:05 AM  Show Profile  Visit Christi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Blanche,

When I took my Yoga Teacher Training Course with the Sivananda school of yoga, all the training was completed on the 200 hour course, and we were able to register with the Yoga Alliance upon completion. This will be the same with the AYP Teacher Training Courses.

Different schools of yoga have different criteria for certifying teachers. If the school is registered with the YA then there will be certain basic requirements which the school will have to meet, but individual schools can also apply additional requirements if they wish to. Certainly you should have been told about these requirements though, before you registered for the course, especially if they are going to take months to complete.

There are measures being taken to improve the transparency of Yoga Teacher Training, including a feedback section on the Yoga Alliance website, linked to each registered school, where teachers, once they have qualified, can leave feedback about the training they were given.

That does not help you right now though, but over time, it should help to make sure that people know what they are signing up for, even if the training school is not as clear as it should be, about what is involved.

Christi
Go to Top of Page

Blanche

USA
859 Posts

Posted - Jul 28 2016 :  07:04:06 AM  Show Profile  Visit Blanche's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Christi,

Thank you for your clear answer. It is good to have a reality check. The AYP RYT in France sounds even better

Well, in the meantime, I'll get back at writing papers and doing the rest of the things for the certification.
Blanche
Go to Top of Page

Charliedog

1625 Posts

Posted - Jul 28 2016 :  08:24:06 AM  Show Profile  Visit Charliedog's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Congrats Blanche

I received last month my certificate of the completion of 500hrs Yoga Teacher Training. Writing an essay was the last part to receive this certificate. Before receiving this completion certificate I could not register for the Dutch and European YTT Union. Even if I had all other certificates already.

This YTT took me 4 years of mostly one day a week and several retreats to complete it. I choose this school because their training program spoke to me most, I wanted to dive deep into yoga/eastern philosophy and chakra philosophy and psychology. Not to become quickly a teacher but because I wanted to know everything in depth. Enjoyed every minute of my training days and will go on with inspirational study.

I know here in my country are discussions too about YA criteria and also about the Dutch and European YTT Union criteria, but discussions are always there were certificate programs are.

edit:spelling

Edited by - Charliedog on Jul 28 2016 10:33:53 AM
Go to Top of Page

Prem

Canada
90 Posts

Posted - Jul 28 2016 :  4:29:28 PM  Show Profile  Visit Prem's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Congratulations Blanche! Christi gave you some good info so I won't elaborate here, except to say my school was registered with YA and everything in their syllabus must have been good as the school took care of everything and all I had to do was give them my money and register. I've never heard of this happening. Maybe I was lucky . Good luck as you work through the last hurdles.
Go to Top of Page

Blanche

USA
859 Posts

Posted - Jul 29 2016 :  12:36:35 AM  Show Profile  Visit Blanche's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Dear Charliedog and Prem,
Thank you for the answers. Your experiences match what Christi describes in his post. Well, I guess I got some karma to deal with here. I will have to focus and get done with the rest of the requirements.
Go to Top of Page

sunyata

USA
1507 Posts

Posted - Jul 29 2016 :  1:12:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply

Congratulations, Blanche!!!

quote:
Originally posted by Blanche

Well, I guess I got some karma to deal with here. I will have to focus and get done with the rest of the requirements.

LOL...The "unfathomable" effect of Karma. Great you beat the Karma with positive attitude.
Go to Top of Page

ruesoferick

USA
4 Posts

Posted - Aug 18 2016 :  2:35:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hugs and congrats!! Cheers!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000