Satsang Cafe - General Discussions on AYP
 Cliff notes for AYP exercises?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

GregM

USA
51 Posts

Posted - Jul 11 2016 :  11:57:55 PM  Show Profile  Visit GregM's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hello all,

I've been reading through the AYP series of books. I'm currently mid-way through the 4th in the series on Asanas, Mudras & Bandhas. This book seems to be the most dense in terms of the number of exercises or enhancements to current practices and I feel like the quantity of information is starting to necessitate taking notes as I read through the information in order to retain it all.

But then it struck me that perhaps someone has taken it upon themselves to do this already. Having said that, IS there a "Cliff Notes" version (document or forum post, perhaps) of the AYP material that covers the exercises pertaining only to the specific practices that are recommended along with the general order in which they're to be taken up?

Thank you much,

Greg M.

BlueRaincoat

United Kingdom
1730 Posts

Posted - Jul 12 2016 :  04:44:01 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Greg

I'm not aware of the existence of "Cliff Notes" related to Yogani's books.

I'm wondering where your need for such material springs from. To my (limited, of course) understanding, the exercises and enhancements are adopted one by one. So you study and apply each and every one, then you move on to the next. The overall picture of the AYP practice builds up in time (quite a long time in fact), so I see no need for 'bird's eye' view of Yogani's teaching to be had upfront i.e. prior to incorporating the practices into your routine.

It is of course possible that I'm missing something about your question/post. Am I?
Go to Top of Page

GregM

USA
51 Posts

Posted - Jul 12 2016 :  08:20:01 AM  Show Profile  Visit GregM's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi BlueRaincoat,

Yes, you've touched upon the problem. The practice builds up over time, however, the pace at which I'm reading through the material outstrips the rate upon which I take on the practices. I don't have the blessing of a photographic memory, so it's time consuming to go back to find the material I need when I feel like my practice is ready to incorporate the next exercise or enhancement.

I suppose if I were to read through the material at the same pace at which my practice had evolved, there would be, as you suggest, no need for this. But, as it is, I think it would be of considerable value.

Greg M.
Go to Top of Page

BlueRaincoat

United Kingdom
1730 Posts

Posted - Jul 12 2016 :  09:26:58 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
For a reminder of what practice you can add next, Lessons 204 and 385 are useful.
There is also a chart - the AYP practices in table format. I think that is now available only on Plus (Lesson 385.1)

Hope this helps. Enjoy your practice!
Go to Top of Page

yogani

USA
5196 Posts

Posted - Jul 12 2016 :  10:42:05 AM  Show Profile  Visit yogani's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by BlueRaincoat

For a reminder of what practice you can add next, Lessons 204 and 385 are useful.
There is also a chart - the AYP practices in table format. I think that is now available only on Plus (Lesson 385.1)

Hope this helps. Enjoy your practice!

Hi Greg M:

Yes, this is correct. The practice chart and associated commentary summarizing sequence of learning and sequence of practice are also included in the Eight Limbs of Yoga and the AYP Easy Lessons Vol 2 books.

AYP Plus also has Lesson Topic Paths (by practice type and subject) enabling the practitioner to quickly zero in on content of interest, and a comprehensive search feature selectively covering the lessons (including additions) and the online books.

As suggested by BlueRaincoat, best to take it one step at a time. The AYP system cannot be fully absorbed or utilized by a once through reading. It is all there, but it will take time to incorporate and assimilate the desired components of the system into a practice routine that can gradually enhance the quality of our life (and those around us) over the long term. As we often say, "Rome was not built in a day." And ... "The spiritual journey is a marathon, not a sprint."

You might also find this early lesson on "self-pacing" helpful: http://www.aypsite.org/38.html

All the best!

The guru is in you.
Go to Top of Page

GregM

USA
51 Posts

Posted - Jul 12 2016 :  11:26:05 PM  Show Profile  Visit GregM's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you Blue & Yogani both. :) As I researched further, I happened upon an old thread (that I'd started sometime back) asking essentially the same question. Another post in that thread that I was directed to was from Lesson #209.

So, I apologize for the redundant question, but hopefully this will be of value to someone else that follows in months or years to come.

Regards,

Greg M.
Go to Top of Page

Herbhornist

USA
4 Posts

Posted - Jul 21 2016 :  08:29:25 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Another possibility is to view the Key Lessons, starting with Start Lessons Here link on the left. You can bookmark your current lesson in your browser.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000