Discussions on AYP Pranayama, Mudras and Bandhas
 left nostril breathing outside of pranayama
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Josh Robinson

Australia
1 Posts

Posted - Jun 07 2016 :  8:58:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
would i gain any benefit from blocking my right nostril and breathing just through the left for a period of time during the day?
ive read that the left nostril stimulates the parasympathetic nervous system and calms the brain/body.
i cant practice pranayama at the moment so im hoping that maybe i will get some benefit from this?

Christi

United Kingdom
4379 Posts

Posted - Jun 08 2016 :  07:55:02 AM  Show Profile  Visit Christi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Josh,

Closing the right nostril and breathing only through the left is a practice called Chandra Pranayama. The opposite, closing the left nostril and breathing only through the right, is called Surya Pranayama.

When we breathe only through one nostril, it will cause one of the side channels to become activated. Closing the right nostril and breathing through the left (Chandra Pranayama) will cause the ida nadi to become more active. Closing the left nostril and breathing through the right (Surya Pranayama) will cause the pingala nadi to become more active.

The ida nadi, or left channel, is associated with the moon, water, calmness, peace etc. which is why you have been told that it can be calming. The pingala nadi, is associated with the sun, fire, heat, activity and movement etc.

With AYP Yoga, two things are advised. One is not to engage in spiritual practices outside of practice times. It is best to go out and enjoy your life and be active, which helps to integrate and balance out the energy that is activated during practice times. The second thing that is advised is not to try to micro-manage the movement of prana in the chakras and nadis of the subtle body.

Both Chandra Pranayama and Surya Pranayama are forms of micro-management.

If you are not able to practice Spinal Breathing Pranayama during your sitting practices, then you can use Alternate Nostril Breathing (Anuloma Viloma) instead. Alternate Nostril Breathing uses exactly the same principles as both Surya Pranayama and Chandra Pranayama, but combines both, so both side channels are charged with prana equally. This gives a much safer and more effective form of purification than activating only one channel at the expense of the other. It is also very calming and relaxing and prepares the body well for meditation.

Christi
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000