Discussions on AYP Pranayama, Mudras and Bandhas
 Sneezing, orgasm and prana?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Alvin Chan

Hong Kong
407 Posts

Posted - Oct 15 2006 :  02:15:05 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
There are many similarity between sneezing and orgasm. But does sneezing fit into our yoga practices (like sex)? Are we depleting or charging ourselves with sneezing?

For me i don't feel much difference. And it's not quite reasonable that something our body do automatically during sickness is depleting for us. So I think sneezing is just a natural neuro-response which has very little to do with yoga.

Any ideas?

david_obsidian

USA
2602 Posts

Posted - Oct 15 2006 :  10:36:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Alvin,

I think that sneezing may even be stimulating in a positive way, which may be why people have used 'snuff' in the past (and I presume they still do in many places). I really don't think it creates the depletion of orgasm.

-D
Go to Top of Page

Kyman

530 Posts

Posted - Oct 17 2006 :  03:24:26 AM  Show Profile  Visit Kyman's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
It is such an odd thing, a sneeze. So many of the body's natural functions are oddly pleasurable. I've been trying to freezeframe the sensation of the sneeze as I do with orgasm. Who know's why? Perhaps just out of curiousity and an attempt to gain more influence over previously uncontrolled processes.
Go to Top of Page

Alvin Chan

Hong Kong
407 Posts

Posted - Oct 17 2006 :  09:06:50 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
It is such an odd thing, a sneeze. So many of the body's natural functions are oddly pleasurable. I've been trying to freezeframe the sensation of the sneeze as I do with orgasm. Who know's why? Perhaps just out of curiousity and an attempt to gain more influence over previously uncontrolled processes.

I've been trying to, too, for pretty much the same reason. But the most helpful and urgent uncontrollable process that I would like to master: when I don't have enough sleep, unlike most people, I would not fall into sleep say in a public transport. This makes me unable to rest fully. I seems to be more agitated when I don't have enough sleep. Tension built up in my forehead as if I have over-practiced yoga....

Any ideas?
Go to Top of Page

Kyman

530 Posts

Posted - Oct 17 2006 :  3:41:37 PM  Show Profile  Visit Kyman's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Sleep is a tough thing to get a hold of. I used to have absolutely aweful insomnia.

When I get that agitated feeling from not getting enough rest, which seems to carry through the day, I find the best way to get relief is to do 3 things.

A rejuvinating, deep, but short meditation. Doing it standing up or in a fairly simple activity is good.

Doing an exercise like running for just five minutes at a decent pace.

And though I am not currently well rested, planning well ahead for a time whre I can, which often involved going a day or two without full rest. Basically, I have to get up early whether I want to or not for the sake of the sleep rhythm, until I am able to hit that pillow and fall into restful sleep.

Thankfully, I've noticed, like most here, less need of sleep. Perhaps the lack of sleep just doesn't impact one as greatly as before, though I imagine the negative affects it can have on our deep meditations is all the more apparent.
Go to Top of Page

Scott

USA
969 Posts

Posted - Oct 17 2006 :  4:59:09 PM  Show Profile  Visit Scott's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I have mastered the sneeze. My trick to staying at the climax of the sneeze is pressing on the outside of the nostrils, so that it rubs the insides together, which holds off the explosion.

Kind of silly, but maybe you guys will like it.
Go to Top of Page

Alvin Chan

Hong Kong
407 Posts

Posted - Oct 22 2006 :  09:41:00 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I would do sambhavi and relax my mind, only witness the tendency to sneeze. Witness every moment of the sneeze without encouraging it to continue.

This works when the sneeze doesn't come too quickly.
Go to Top of Page

Anthem

1608 Posts

Posted - Oct 23 2006 :  6:44:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Katrine mentioned trying to stay with the sneeze in a post a few months back and so I have been experimenting with it. I find it such a curious thing, I feel the sneeze coming, I put my full awareness into it and completely surrender to it and it just dissipates and it feels like the energy stays within.

It doesn't feel like it is going to work sometimes but it always does.

Something to play with.

A
Go to Top of Page

Alvin Chan

Hong Kong
407 Posts

Posted - Oct 23 2006 :  10:11:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Similar experience here. But I think sneezing may be a spontaneus bhastrika which I'm not sure if I need to dissipate it.
Go to Top of Page

Balance

USA
967 Posts

Posted - Oct 23 2006 :  10:12:48 PM  Show Profile  Visit Balance's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi guys

I've been successful with Katrine's "technique" too. The allergies that are my constant companion give me countless opportunities to experience sneezing, snot and various other nasal entertainments. Another thing I do is take the pre-sneeze in-breath all the way past the top in a calm manner, and then watch the sneeze fall away. Unfortunately snot almost always ensues. If I avoid, or bypass the sneeze in this way the snot runs worse, and more violent sneezes comes up until I blow whatever culprit out of the offended membranes. Watching the sneeze go away as Katrine posted about some time ago (as Andrew mentioned) can for me sometimes put an end to all of it if I am really still and present. You know, it is a lot like avoiding orgasm. There's a lot of sex going on in these heads of ours (kechari, sneeze climaxes)

Presence, Alan
Go to Top of Page

emc

2072 Posts

Posted - Oct 24 2006 :  03:15:28 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
experience sneezing, snot and various other nasal entertainments

Hahaha! I have been a nasal freak for a long time. Nose fetishist! This is hilarious! I shall immediately start to be more aware when sneezing!

Edited by - emc on Oct 24 2006 05:24:52 AM
Go to Top of Page

sadhak

India
604 Posts

Posted - Oct 25 2006 :  05:00:14 AM  Show Profile  Visit sadhak's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Well Alvin, the Kechari has a lot to do with ecstasy within the nostrils... maybe why you feel that way on the verge of the a-tishoo!
But excuse my ignorance please
Seems only an epidermal tease
Or a block, perhaps, released
Not a sniff here of birds and bees.
Go to Top of Page

bliss_

25 Posts

Posted - Oct 28 2006 :  4:38:24 PM  Show Profile  Visit bliss_'s Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I don't know about sneezing but I've been trying to study yawning, what energetic processes are involved etc...

I discovered something really funny about yawning, I have really bad migraine attacks sometimes and for some reason at the moment of the peak of a yawn (when you feel the head and tympans trembling), for that second the headache is gone.
Go to Top of Page

Scott

USA
969 Posts

Posted - Oct 28 2006 :  6:18:59 PM  Show Profile  Visit Scott's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Bliss,

I've been noticing that yawning is the body's natural form of kumbhaka. I've been yawning and cat stretching (which is the body's natural means of asana). I'm sure increasing oxygen levels isn't all that yawning is good for...if you come up with anything let me know.
Go to Top of Page

bewell

1275 Posts

Posted - Oct 29 2006 :  5:45:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Anthem11

Katrine mentioned trying to stay with the sneeze ...

Hi Alvin and all,

Thanks for the sneeze awareness thread. Last night I had my first aware pre-sneeze without a sneeze where I felt like my mere observation prevented the sneeze. Strained a rib.

But the main thing I wanted to mention here is my experience with a voluntary pre-sneeze: Three quick little in-breaths. I noticed that it does consistently stimulate some "conductivity" from lungs up to crown.

Thanks for your question Alvin about how to describe this thing we are calling "ecstatic conductivity." It seems quite likely that you have experienced "it" spontaneously in the moment before a sneeze. Fine observation.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000