Satsang Cafe - General Discussions on AYP
 Is Amrita a substance?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Chakburthi

Germany
35 Posts

Posted - Apr 06 2016 :  10:43:14 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
My scientific mind occasionally wonders: is amrita really a biochemical substance? Can it be characterized and chemically defined? And if so, what would happen if you would take it? Would it have drug-like qualities and perhaps help yogis advance spiritually?

BlueRaincoat

United Kingdom
1730 Posts

Posted - Apr 06 2016 :  12:11:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
My hunch (and it's nothing more than a hunch) is that it is the taste of the fluids that we normally have in our mouths and nasal cavities. Yoga seems to make that taste very pleasant.

What this hunch is based on: On occasions, when I got tears flowing inside from my eyes through the nose and down into my mouth, then I could feel the taste stronger/sweeter. I suspect it was because the quantity of the fluid was temporarily increased, so its taste was more obvious.

I doubt there is a scientific explanation yet, so guessing is probably the best we can do for now.
Go to Top of Page

lalow33

USA
966 Posts

Posted - Apr 06 2016 :  11:33:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I don't know sometimes, it feels like a drug. I no longer get much of a " taste" of it. I can feel it moving and a cool mint sensation in my heart( and a fat belly).
Go to Top of Page

SeySorciere

Seychelles
1532 Posts

Posted - Apr 07 2016 :  05:37:17 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
From Lesson 304:

quote:

When there is sufficient inner silence present via the daily practice of deep meditation, and then the breath and body are brought into the process via spinal breathing pranayama, asanas, mudras, bandhas, and tantric sexual methods, we will notice three things occurring.

1. An expansion of sexual energy from the pelvic region upward, with part finding its way into the GI tract.

2. The natural retention of air in the GI tract.

3. The interaction of food with the sexual essences and air in the GI tract.

The natural combination of these three elements in the digestive system through an emerging higher form of digestion gives rise to a new substance emanating from the GI tract, which permeates the entire body. Much of this penetration occurs as this substance enters the spinal canal and rises up through the chest cavity to the head. The highly penetrating and sometimes intoxicating substance produced in the GI tract has been given many names. A name prevalent in yoga is soma. The word soma also refers to a hallucinogenic plant, which is not what we are talking about here. In Taoism, the GI tract, when engaged in this higher functioning, is called the caldron, recognizing the alchemy that is occurring there - three ordinary substances (sexual essence, air, and food) being combined to create an extraordinary substance that is a key to the process of human spiritual transformation.

The process continues in the head, with further refinements occurring in the brain, which lead to another substance being secreted through the sinuses, down through the inside nasal passages, into the throat and then down into the GI tract again, where it joins in the process already described. This recycling of subtle essences leads to even more refined processing in the GI tract. The substance coming down from the brain into the GI tract is referred to as amrita (nectar) in the yoga tradition. It can sometimes be experienced as a sweet aroma in the nasal passages and sweet taste in the mouth.

Personally, I perceive it as a subtle substance, hence not 'real' in the physical world, but I could be very wrong

Sey
Go to Top of Page

sunyata

USA
1507 Posts

Posted - Apr 07 2016 :  2:34:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
I don't know sometimes, it feels like a drug. I no longer get much of a " taste" of it. I can feel it moving and a cool mint sensation in my heart( and a fat belly).

Same here. It's intoxicating. May be when the scientific community develops technology to measure such phenomenon. Who knows they probably have one or may be working towards it already.
Go to Top of Page

maverick angel

France
42 Posts

Posted - May 02 2016 :  11:21:37 AM  Show Profile  Visit maverick angel's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
My experience of amrita is of a sticky substance tasted by the toungue in kechari with full body bliss inducing effects.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000