Satsang Cafe - General Discussions on AYP
 Gupta Nari...?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Kosmoleo

USA
6 Posts

Posted - Mar 03 2013 :  12:34:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
I have been studying some about mudra practice and it's relation to chakras and prana and came across this line in an article:

" Keeping the hands on the knees stimulates the Gupta Nari and makes the energy start from the Mooladhara Chakra. "

But I can't find anywhere a definition or explanation of 'gupta nari'. Can someone please explain what exactly is gupta nari.....?

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - Mar 03 2013 :  1:01:01 PM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Kosmoleo,
"Gupta" means sectert or hidden and "nadi" is a nerve/cannel (nari is a lady ). In Sanskrit there are 2 kinds of "r".. One is the "ri" sound as in nari (lady) and one has a "rdi" sound as in nadi (nerve/channel).
It may be a name given to that nerve/channel. If you google Gupta Nadi you will find some info on it.
From what I see it says:
http://www.yogamag.net/glos.shtml

Gupta nadi - runs from the knees along the inside of the thighs into the perineum.
Go to Top of Page

Goodway

USA
99 Posts

Posted - Mar 03 2013 :  4:23:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I've often have felt this area of my body stimulated lately. Lunar energy has been running down from the perineum to the feet. Often I feel soft, green flows, too.
Go to Top of Page

Kosmoleo

USA
6 Posts

Posted - Mar 03 2013 :  10:20:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks a lot for that clarification Shanti, it was very helpful. For Goodway and anyone else who might be interested I found this bit of info while searching out Gupta Nadi:

"When the fingers and hands are placed on the knees, the knees are sensitized, creating another pranic circuit that maintains and redirects prana within the body. I addition, placing the hands on the knees stimulates a nadi which runs from the knees, up the inside of the thighs and into the perineum. This nadi is known as ‘gupta’ or the hidden nadi. Sensitizing this channel helps stimulate the energies at mooladhara chakra."
Go to Top of Page

jusmail

India
491 Posts

Posted - Apr 27 2016 :  11:44:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Just curious if anybody has tried this during SBP or meditation!
Go to Top of Page

LittleKid

USA
34 Posts

Posted - Apr 28 2016 :  03:35:03 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Shanti,
Thanks for the Yoga Glossary.
Go to Top of Page

Christi

United Kingdom
4382 Posts

Posted - Apr 28 2016 :  05:19:18 AM  Show Profile  Visit Christi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by jusmail

Just curious if anybody has tried this during SBP or meditation!

Hi Jusmail and all,

This is the usual way I sit for Spinal Breathing, meditation and samyama practice.

It is as others have mentioned above, that sitting with the hands on the knees, palms facing downwards, creates a circuit. The whole circuit begins in the heart chakra and goes down the arms, through the palms of the hands, into the knees, up the inside of the thighs to muladhara chakra and again back up to the heart.

So this is a technique for stimulating prana in the legs and arms. It is very gentle and subtle and often will not be felt for a long time.

An alternative to this, which is commonly used, is to have the hands resting on the knees, palms facing upwards in chin mudra. This creates a different energetic dynamic, with the prana from the palms of the hands rising upwards into the auric field, rather than down into the knees and legs.

Another alternative is to have the hands resting gently in the lap.

You can experiment with all of these if you want to, to see what works best for you. There is no right or wrong way to sit and what works best will actually change over time as the energy flows in the body change.

Christi
Go to Top of Page

SeySorciere

Seychelles
1537 Posts

Posted - May 01 2016 :  01:01:10 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Christi

This is the usual way I sit for Spinal Breathing, meditation and samyama practice...

It is very gentle and subtle and often will not be felt for a long time...

Yes, it does take a long time to be felt or seen. One day where the fore-finger touches the thumb just lit up like a candle flame. They help form the corners (nodes?) of the prism - sorry, words keep dropping out of my mind and I am struggling to write. It's been happening all week and a little distressing . I think I need to self-pace.

Sey
Go to Top of Page

jusmail

India
491 Posts

Posted - May 01 2016 :  07:56:01 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Christi for the fantastic information
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.04 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000