Discussions on AYP Deep Meditation and Samyama
 Mantra hammering habit
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

reidmantra

United Arab Emirates
57 Posts

Posted - Mar 14 2016 :  5:12:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hello All. Reidmantra here. For some time now, when ever I sit down to do my meditation, I find that I use the mantra like a hammer I AM, I AM, I AM in my mind. The mantra rarely (if ever) disappears. Quite naturally, this habit leads to headaches. This problem has arisen because in the past I used to chant mantras where emphasis on rhythm and pronunciation were required. Do any of you have any advice on how I can break this bad habit, which is 100% antithetical to the correct practice of this simple technique. DM calls for gentle, easy, and relaxed repetition and not hammer like repetition. Have any of you here dealt with this habit and if so, how did you correct it? Any advice from the forum members would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance for your experiences, advice, and thoughts. - Reidmantra

Bodhi Tree

2972 Posts

Posted - Mar 14 2016 :  6:13:25 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bodhi Tree's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I kind of think of it like driving a car. The hand doesn't have to have a white-knuckled grip on the steering wheel. It can be a loose grip that allows for versatile turns without a lot of strain. Similarly, good tennis players will twirl the racket in their hands to stay loose, thereby allowing the grip to change based on the desire of the shot-making.

So, it's just a matter of letting yourself loosen up a little bit. That's easily favoring. Less hammering...more massaging. It's refinement, not endlessly monotonous chanting.
Go to Top of Page

lalow33

USA
966 Posts

Posted - Mar 14 2016 :  6:32:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Reidmantra,

At this point, I'm not sure how easy or forcible I am with practices is really up to me. It seems to be a function of my nervous system. I can " try" to be this way or that way, but it all depends on how tight or stressed ( or relaxed) I am. Maybe others see it differently.
Go to Top of Page

Dogboy

USA
2202 Posts

Posted - Mar 14 2016 :  8:18:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I suggest an intention to whisper the mantra instead.
Go to Top of Page

reidmantra

United Arab Emirates
57 Posts

Posted - Mar 14 2016 :  9:24:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi guys. Thank you for your thoughts. I was just wandering Dogboy what you mean by have the intention to whisper the mantra instead? Do you mean out loud or in my mind. Also, when should I have the intention, before I begin my meditation or every time I find myself hammering the mantra? - Reidmantra
Go to Top of Page

Dogboy

USA
2202 Posts

Posted - Mar 14 2016 :  10:19:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I meant intend to whisper the mantra inside, although a few aloud before you start might be helpful to transition into the session. I have an autistic daughter who has difficulty with volume control; I find if I lower my voice (an intention) she seems to listen better, and on occasion, lower her tone. It might be worth a try to see if it lowers the intensity in your DM.
Go to Top of Page

Bodhi Tree

2972 Posts

Posted - Mar 15 2016 :  01:47:27 AM  Show Profile  Visit Bodhi Tree's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
You might also want to check out Lesson 367 in AYP Plus. Lots of options there...for instance, possibly slowing down your rate of transcendence by trying the third mantra enhancement (sign up for Plus for more details).
Go to Top of Page

Dennis

USA
83 Posts

Posted - Mar 15 2016 :  02:43:02 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
My two cents I think the mantra should be gradually repeated softer and softer until fuzzy as Yogani said. When I did TM, that was the instructions. But since Yogani wants the mantra to go where it goes, forcing it softer is not in the instructions. However from what I've read having the mantra go very faint and fuzzy is desirable in AYP.

Go to Top of Page

reidmantra

United Arab Emirates
57 Posts

Posted - Mar 15 2016 :  1:05:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you Bodhi-tree, Dogboy, and Dennis for replying.

Bodhi-tree: I will look at lesson 367 and see if it helps me. About 6 months ago I tried the first alternative mantra enhancement which was `Shri I am Namah' but it gave me anxiety attacks every time I used it so I had to go back to I AM. Maybe if I try the enhancement again it will be better this time. I am wondering though, why you feel it would be advisable to slow down the process of transcending by using a longer mantra?

Dogboy: Thanks for the tip about saying the mantra out loud a few times, I am eager to try that and see if it helps.

Dennis: I never heard that about TM instructions for repeating the mantra. I will try that as well and see how it feels to me.

I am going to combine all three of your suggestions into one practice and let you guys know how it goes. All other suggestions from anyone else on the forum would also be much appreciated! Thank you to all who have already responded and may respond in the day ahead. - Reidmantra
Go to Top of Page

MrCuddly

USA
43 Posts

Posted - Jun 07 2016 :  5:27:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
One technique that helps me go deeper is "finding the mantra". As if the mantra is repeated endless within you at a very low level subconsciously and you just sink lower and find it. When I read about this I thought it was a bizarre notion or idea. But it works.

If I just listen for the mantra repeating itself somewhere in my psyche, I usually find it and it's at a very low subtle level that greatly hastens a sense of stillness. I guess because the process of listening for it quiets the mind itself.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.07 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000