Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Forum FAQ | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 AYPsite.org Forum
 Satsang Cafe - General Discussions on AYP
 Why are all good things in life always addictive?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

psysaucer

India
44 Posts

Posted - Jan 06 2016 :  03:49:40 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
meditation, asanas, music, books, relationships, psychedelics, science, sports etc etc

why does anything worth doing have to finally end up an obsession, an escape, an addiction?

Omsat

Belgium
267 Posts

Posted - Jan 06 2016 :  07:52:56 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
On a positive note, if you are attracted to things that promote your health and well-being on all levels, that is something you can feel happy about.

We have different inclinations, some of which may sometimes interfere with each other. For instance, both the need for individual freedom and the need for connection and merging. If going too much on one edge, we may feel the way you describe.

Anything is healthy if it is brought in your life in the right amount for you at that certain time. Once it brings you out of balance, it doesn't matter what it is, it is time to release it to some extent for a certain time.

If your mind is poised and you know how to balance them in your life, they don't "have to" end up as you describe.

There is a way to live that helps you be balanced and healthy in the amount that serves these qualities.

When you go little on the extreme and you become aware, you can balance it out again. Over time you become more and more skilled at this

Also, nothing wrong per se with choosing to be more focused ("extreme") on one area of life if channeled in a constructive way. It takes some passion to be an olympian at anything one has chosen

On a more fundamental note, it is not the things you describe themselves that are addictive. It is your own tendencies to look for the intensity of feeling. These tendencies are called vasanas in several traditions. Meditation practices help channel and release these vasanas and perceive the nature of their origin.

Go to Top of Page

MrCuddly

USA
43 Posts

Posted - Feb 18 2016 :  5:25:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I've always been exactly that way. When I find something I like - I attack it until every last drop of enjoyment is wrung out.

I think we're all looking for a continuous state of bliss, connection, freedom, involvement etc. IMO a craving to transcend the animal to the divine. No-one is dying to be 2/5ths in love, or 7/16ths contented. We want a continuous state, but it's not what we get in this ever changing world of duality.

Psychedelics can be fun and can be a good simulation of spiritual transformation in some respects (Kundalini and all). But instead of delivery of super coherence, amazing perspective and a permanent positive transformation - it shatters any coherence, fills your brain with a never ending stream of random nonsense thoughts, and clearly causes brain damage if you do it too often. Or maybe at all. As they say, you never come ALL the way down after and acid trip.

Do I know this personally? Yep I spent two years age 15-17 doing acid multiple times a week. So I know what you're saying. It was fun for awhile, and then I was just watching myself mentally deteriorate but kept on anyway as a kind of addiction. I would never have regretted taking it once or twice, but in the amount I took I regret the damage it's done to this day. Not to be preachy just FYI, but I get the attraction.

Edited by - MrCuddly on Feb 18 2016 5:30:41 PM
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000